Greedy Neighbors (1933)

Michael L.

Ren Pengnian was an early Chinese filmmaker whose credits include Fong Sai Yuk's Battle in the Boxing Ring (1928) and early serials Northeast Hero (13 parts from 1928-1931) and Mistress of the Spear (6 parts from 1931-1932). He worked all the way into the 1960s. His wife and business partner Wu Lizhi was an early female hero who starred in both of the aforementioned serials. Both star in Greedy Neighbors, a silent contemporary drama from 1933, which can be watched online or downloaded from Archive.org (follow this link: http://www.archive.org/details/greedyneighbors). Although the 41 minute film starts a little slow for the kung fu fan, there are a few fights as the film goes on.

The silent movie features on screen traditional Chinese text to explain dialogue; I might try to translate this soon except it seems that in several of the "wordier" screens some of the characters are cut off!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for sharing that rare gem, and I hope that you can translate it for us someday soon. The one lady in the film was quite kick ass, she even jumped out of a two story window before she let some thugs know what was what! The three gardeners in one scene did a nice bit of comedic mayhem upon each other. Very enjoyable to view, thanks again for finding and posting the Greedy Neighbors.

Thanks for sharing this link Michael. I have to admit, I have not seen any martial arts related films prior to the late 60's.

The one lady in the film was quite kick ass, she even jumped out of a two story window before she let some thugs know what was what!

That was Wu Lizhi, who was quite the stunt lady back in the day. That's why I am really trying to find the serials she starred in for her husband; I bet Mistress of the Spear is awesome!

Archived