The World's First Martial Arts Star

Athena

*THE WORLDS FIRST MARTIAL ART STAR FAN XUEPENG !!

Oh (!)who would have guessed IT IS A LADY... She is a treasured icon in the world of EARLY SHANGHAI cinema in addition too be generally considered China first WUXIA super star ..!! This is a early photo the famous and very traditional beauty !! She was born in Jiangsu in 1908 & made her first film in Shanghai around 1925 ! Fan soon achieved great success in the film HEROIC SONS AND DAUGHTERS (1927) and the sequels.. Just as in the RED HEROINE & SWORDSWOMAN OF HUANGJIAN series...Sadly very few of this brilliant stars work has survived today ..

MAKE NO MISTAKES ABOUT IT, WITHOUT THE EARLY DEVELOPMENT OF SHANGHAI WUXIA CINEMA, I DOUBT THE KUNG FU GENRE THAT WE ALL LOVE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE RAVE IT IS TODAY !

yinyangbox.pngThank you Fang Xuepeng !! ~Athena

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the information, Athena.

Until now I thought the first martial arts movie star was Zhang Hui-Chong. He played a leading role in Shandong Ma Yongzhen (1927). This movie was one of the earliest hits in chinese martial arts movie history. Directed by Zhang Shi-Chuan (founder of Mingxing Film Company).

I have read that women starred in early martial arts films (and films in general) in China because they were still not accepted on stage by serious opera fans and even sometimes played male characters. In fact, I vaguely remember this being mentioned in a documentary on martial arts films but I can not for the life of me think of what it was...

Michael I think that was Art of Action with Samuel L Jackson.

artofaction.jpg

I just saw the second half of this doc the other day on TV. I had seen it years ago, I enjoyed this one.

Yes, you are right Michael... It is a remarkable PARADOX ! Actresses were looked very "down upon " and considered "NOT FEMINIME" when they wished to perform in the Peking Opera scene, BUT were considered the most desirable and feminine while being the top stars ( sometimes as male characters) in the early WUXIA film industry ! This was the prevailing attitude up to the mid 50's...

But never FEAR ( :laugh ) .. To balance this belief off--> The Peking opera male stars ( even the ones portraying females) were very popular and sought after by both the Chinese girls AND THEIR FAMILYS as potential husbands ... On the other hand the early WUXIA actors (males) often were considered WEAK and "less serious" males (??) ...

yinyangbox.pngAnyways YIN & YANG may have traded places for a time... But as you see it was all nicely balanced out in a PURE TAOIST TRADITION !!! We would expect NO LESS FROM THE MIDDLE KINGDOM (CHINA ) !!! :rofl:rofl:love:clappinghands:clappinghands:clappinghands !!

No, it wasn't The Art of Action. It was part of a series on Chinese films that was on something crazy like Ovation or the Higher Learning Network.

These real early stars like Fan Xuepeng are all but forgotten by the great mass of people here in mainland China. For people now in their 40's, who you might think would know Shaw Bro.s, et al, in fact don't know those films at all, as it was all previously banned in the mainland as capitalist. As for those in their 20's, they only know more contemporary guys like Jackie and Jet.

Most mainland Chinese are at something of a loss, even shocked, that foreigners know more about HK films than they do - which actually is entirely reasonable, as they know nearly nothing about it.

I heard about a 1921 Wuxia film called THE LADY KILLER but it was destroyed when the communists came to power as they might encourage people to rebel.

I heard about a 1921 Wuxia film called THE LADY KILLER but it was destroyed when the communists came to power as they might encourage people to rebel.

Man, you hit that nail on the head! Once these boys get in power, the revolution, as far as they are concerned, is o v e r !

Kafka: The zeal of every revolution degenerates into the slime of bureaucracy.

These real early stars like Fan Xuepeng are all but forgotten by the great mass of people here in mainland China. For people now in their 40's, who you might think would know Shaw Bro.s, et al, in fact don't know those films at all, as it was all previously banned in the mainland as capitalist. As for those in their 20's, they only know more contemporary guys like Jackie and Jet.

Most mainland Chinese are at something of a loss, even shocked, that foreigners know more about HK films than they do - which actually is entirely reasonable, as they know nearly nothing about it.

When I went to Shanghai a couple of years ago I had plenty of time to look for old movies when I wasn't working. I found exactly ZERO. Not only did no one have them, they couldn't believe I would want to watch something black and white or silent. I also found it much easier to find Japanese films than HK films.

Even the new Celestial Shaw series is stocked by very few DVD stores here, Michael. I got most of my collection, of about 200 titles, from one store! The dude that ran the place told me I was 邵氏电影疯狂 ~Shaw movie crazy.

Yeah, man, whatever.

Art of Action was on one of my movie channels last week so I threw it in the DVR. I have seen this, but it was not the documentary I referenced. The one I am thinking of had more than one episode, each with a theme and might have been earlier than Art of Action.

Will some of these earlier work by these great pioneers be available on dvd anytime soon??? I would love to brush up on my history....

Will some of these earlier work by these great pioneers be available on dvd anytime soon??? I would love to brush up on my history....

A word to the wise: much of this stuff will never be on any widely-distributed DVD; further, proper copyright does not actually exist for much of it (i.e. who the hell really owns it, Buddha knows); and last, a lot of it is freely available on the large Chinese sites.

Seek and you shall find...

Actually, if there are copies in existence they will be available eventually because there will probably come a point where the copyrights will disappear thanks to one international agreement or another.

You know, Kim Jong Il is supposed to have an INCREDIBLE film collection; I wonder if he has any 'lost' films wudapian... he is thought to possibly have some other lost films!

You know, Kim Jong Il is supposed to have an INCREDIBLE film collection; I wonder if he has any 'lost' films wudapian... he is thought to possibly have some other lost films!

LOL, if someone can raid his house the way they did to Sadam's, I can't imagine what his collection would be like... Isn't he like almost on the verge of death or something, and his son is taking over the throne???

LOL, if someone can raid his house the way they did to Sadam's, I can't imagine what his collection would be like... Isn't he like almost on the verge of death or something, and his son is taking over the throne???

You know, if the truth be told, the whole U.S. - N Korea squabble is based on who will get those flicks when old man Kim kicks the proverbial bucket...

(Penn. 1600 rumor is that Obama is a closet Shaw freak.)

Archived