Sci Fi Fu

Michael L.

There are a fair amount of Japanese science fiction films with martial arts but I can't think of too many Hong Kong productions. I can only think of one pre-1990 (Inframan), so I am posting here. I also find it interesting that almost all of the HK sci-fi I can think of stars women. Off the top of my head I've got Heroic Trio, Executioners, Silver Hawk and Black Mask I and II.

What am I missing?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Michael ( XY)!

The answer is to tempting my friend ( & not to mention to FUNNY !) So I can not let it be ..

(& I know you only have THE BEST SENSE OF HUMOR :clappinghands ..)

WHAT ARE YOU MISSING ??? An additional X chromosome ... :rofl:rofl:rofl ! ( :love Just kidding !! :love )

To answer you properly in the line of the X chromosomes.. Yes you are right most of the few HK ones DOES star women ( XX ) :coveredlaugh.. But in addition to the ones you mentioned you have several TV series with a si-fi flair, even som later ones ( despite almost a "cartons/comic" look ) with a heavy (young) female(XX) cast ..

Regards from your friend ~Athena(XX)

You know, I am really removed from the HK and Taiwanese TV scene. I followed it more in the '90s, but since I don't need to go to the Chinese grocery stores to rent the movies I want to see anymore, I really don't ever get the chance to pick up the entertainment mags or rent the TV series once they are released on DVD (or, back then, VHS).

I was seriously thinking about picking up a Chinese TV package from Dish Network, but it looks like all of the Chinese channels that used to be available on my satellite before have disappeared. I haven't checked to see if that means I would need new equipment or if Dish has just dropped the packages entirely, but I may investigate.

Inframan is heavily influenced by Japanese tokusatsu films and TV shows. If you really like it and you haven't checked out Ultraman, Kamen Rider and the like, you should.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hot War, Robotrix, Flash Future Kung Fu and Mighty Peking Man

Also some really really bad movies like Ultracop 2000. Then there's Future Hunters. It's bad, but fun. There's a little fu in it. Hwang Jang Lee shows up and fights Bruce Le and Robert Patrick!

And don’t miss out on Future War with Daniel Bernhardt. Another non HK I know... But with this you have the option of watching it with the Mystery Science crew. It’s a bad, funny movie either way you decide to watch it, but obviously the Mystery Science version is funnier!

Also a couple I haven't seen, Kung Fu Cyborg and City Under Siege, both with Wu Jing

Okay, I thought I just imagined Robotrix... but there was a live action film based on the toys. I convinced myself that if it was real, it must be Japanese!

city under siege with Wu Jing, bunch of people get exposed to by old WW II weapons and turns them into super power kung mutants who then use the powers to rob banks, etc.. good fight scenes worth a rental

That's fairly new, right? I didn't realize it was on DVD... I'll see if Netflix can hook a brother up!

Archived