Jimmy Wang Yu

Michael L.

Cognoscente

Jimmy on location for Heart of Dragon.

DeKk3BmV0AEWv8V.jpg.5cf898fff1f6dff0d4433417d38cdab6.jpg

That same year marked the Korean release of...

FPq-D9iaIAIda-X.jpg.381d9548befc50dfa011c863e96f0ac6.jpg

The below photo was taken in Taiwan during the funeral of Chiang Ching-Kuo (politician).

1422470_679932542025137_1047201062_n.jpg.89fdd4dec74652ff71b0d9c2c0114c8f.jpg

More about the attendance here...

The below looks like it was taken during the Crime Story era.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-lWODjqmR1P8RX.jpg.20e034f4f82bc3d1a53c7d8118858b3f.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

s-l1600 (6).jpg

321197515_1607160672_0bc1e05e_progressive.jpg

1211978_1598095104_8d12fcbe_progressive.jpg

25419711210_1658997955_6419a57c_progressive.jpg

It's hard to tell those last two pictures are of the same man. I never thought of JWY as fat, but he seemed to age rapidly during the 70s.

• Like 3

Josh Baker
On 9/20/2022 at 2:46 PM, Killer Meteor said:

It's hard to tell those last two pictures are of the same man. I never thought of JWY as fat, but he seemed to age rapidly during the 70s.

Yep, the alcohol and drugs aged him rapidly I think. He's 32 in Man From Hong Kong, and he always looked about ten years older to me.

• Like 2

Josh Baker
On 11/11/2022 at 3:58 AM, WangYu said:

So guys who really directed the man from hong kong. Some say it is trenchard smith some say it is wang yu. I assume Jimmy directed the fight scenes?

Brian suggested in his commentary track that Jimmy co-directed the fight scenes with Sammo. I cant find anything that suggested he directed anything else, possibly parts of the car chase as he was a car enthusiast. 

Does anyone know how good Jimmy's English was in the 70s? I hear stories of him getting into fights with Brian on the set, but I dont know how that would be possible if he couldn't speak English. 

• Like 1

I like his onscreen fighting, for the most part. It doesn't take a lot of "genuine martial arts talent" to convincingly look like you're punching people, and that's all most of his movies needed. And anyway, we got a sliver of what he could have looked like with a great choreographer at the helm with Master of the Flying Guillotine.

• Like 2

dionbrother

Wang Yu spoke decent broken English, but not good enough to use his voice in MAN FROM HONG KONG.  Had THE NEW SPARTANS finished filming, he would have likely had Roy Chiao dub his voice in that film as well. And yes, he drank like a fish which explains the loss of his lean look in the late 70s.

• Like 3

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Posted a review for his 1972 basher-comedy (with wuxia overtones) Showdown: 

https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2024/03/showdown-1972.html

I miss the times when you posted your reviews directly on this forum. I must confess that I don't have much time to brows other look alike sites, hence, I miss most of your reviews, while when I check this forum several times a day, I can see them, when it happens that you comment a movie directly here.

• Like 1

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

Posted a review for his 1972 basher-comedy (with wuxia overtones) Showdown: 

https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2024/03/showdown-1972.html

Showdown is an excellent movie, for me (I didn't read your review, yet), which reminded me a lot of some parts of Shaolin mantis and The twin swords trilogy when the married couple has to fight his way among the family's fighters in order to be able to leave the mansion.

And Chang Ching Ching is great a,d pairs very well with Wang Yu (I hope that I don't mistake this movie for another one!).

• Like 1