Jimmy Wang Yu

Michael L.

Just won this, an Italian 1 panel of "Desperate Chase" (1971).  I have yet to locate a subtitled film in it's original language.

italian_1p_blood_of_the_dragon_EB10749_B.jpg

• Like 5

Cognoscente
On 5/31/2012 at 8:27 AM, bruno3997 said:

Well Jimmy is a Triad but he's a good one as Jackie has said. That's why Jackie did that prisoner movie with Sammo, Lau and Jimmy as a favor to the man.

If Jimmy is a good Triad, that changes my perspective on how he got involved in being the producer of a 1977 Bruce Li movie titled Return of the Tiger. You see, Lung Fei and Shan Mao did 54 movies together, so they were obviously on very good terms with one another. As for the Bruce Li connection, they appeared in 6 of his movies.

Jimmy was on good terms with these two men. He did 26 films with Shan Mao, and 34 films with Lung Fei. This is why it's strange that Return of the Tiger is the only Bruce Li movie that Jimmy produced. If it wasn't for Shan Mao dying on March 14, 1977 then he would have joined Lung Fei for the making of Return of the Tiger.

Looking at the number of films that Lung and Shao did with Jimmy, they could have been his bodyguards as well as his friends. For example, look at the career of Sylvester Stallone: 13 of his films were produced by his bodyguard - Tony Munafo (who acted in 11 of Sly's movies).

• Like 3

shukocarl1441996347
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

If Jimmy is a good Triad, that changes my perspective on how he got involved in being the producer of a 1977 Bruce Li movie titled Return of the Tiger. You see, Lung Fei and Shan Mao did 54 movies together, so they were obviously on very good terms with one another. As for the Bruce Li connection, they appeared in 6 of his movies.

Jimmy was on good terms with these two men. He did 26 films with Shan Mao, and 34 films with Lung Fei. This is why it's strange that Return of the Tiger is the only Bruce Li movie that Jimmy produced. If it wasn't for Shan Mao dying on March 14, 1977 then he would have joined Lung Fei for the making of Return of the Tiger.

Looking at the number of films that Lung and Shao did with Jimmy, they could have been his bodyguards as well as his friends. For example, look at the career of Sylvester Stallone: 13 of his films were produced by his bodyguard - Tony Munafo (who acted in 11 of Sly's movies).

Jimmy produced Return of the Tiger? Never heard/seen any reference to that anywhere before.

• Like 4

khuu_2000

Either we like him or not, he was one of the martial arts actors before Bruce LEE and the first actor who had more than a million admissions in the year 70 with "One armed sworsdman and Chinese Boxer".

• Like 5

Cognoscente

Imagine how good that Jimmy would have looked had he been choreographed by Bruce. As much as people like to imagine what it would have been like if Bruce and Lazenby were in a movie together, I would much rather have seen Jimmy in GOD or The Shrine of Ultimate Bliss.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

People may not look their best with Bruce but they still looked better than when choreographed by other people whose name isn't Sammo Hung.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Wang Yu is at his best when choreographed to look like a real brawler (which he was). Shapes and stunt-doubled acrobatics often let him down.

• Like 3

I always liked the stunt doubles in his fight scenes. It is all part of cinema to me when clever editing and camera angles suddenly give you the illusion that the hero is doing insane back flips and kicks. I personally prefer this to static shots of real martial artists fighting. I have never grown tired of a Wang Yu fight scene but an endless fight scene with block after block grows tiresome for me.

• Like 3

I enjoyed a lot of Wang Yu's films, but his skills as a martial artist are not great.  His films were well edited to hide this fact.  He can act, and that's what gave Wang a career in the film industry.  As people have mentioned before, I would not want to piss him off; even if I were a top-level martial artist.  It's like Al Capone; he may not have known any martial arts, but it would not make much sense to get the man angry at you. 

The first Wang Yu film I saw was Master of The Flying Guillotine (1976).  Below is a scene where Wang fight Dhalsim...I mean Yogi Tro Le Soung.

Masterotfg4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Cognoscente

Awesome movie. Jimmy would have been a better director for Jackie in his Lo Wei years than Lo Wei himself. Imagine if Jimmy was the one to have directed The Killer Meteors.

22424316_834728510048133_5528904126805122490_o.jpg

22339689_834728340048150_8833296934958951022_o.jpg

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang
1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

15977918_349133685469157_4093120731499492386_n.jpg

Jeez, we definitely don't have the same interior decorator. I'd like to have a better view on the pictures on the wall (upper right)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1