Jimmy Wang Yu

Michael L.

I'm fascinated by the fact that he was on trial for murder in the 1980s. If anyone has info on that, please send it my way!

I'm fascinated by the fact that he was on trial for murder in the 1980s. If anyone has info on that, please send it my way!

Yes, this would very interesting to here in depth the details of JWY on trial. I shall ask around and see if anyone knows more about this.

Not sure if it's relevent to this, but I know someone who has an hour long interview with Jimmy in mandarin. That'd be interesting to see.

Not sure if it's relevent to this, but I know someone who has an hour long interview with Jimmy in mandarin. That'd be interesting to see.

Yes, this would be cool to see. I assume there is no English subtitles? :smile

I'd be willing to try my Mandarin on that... it isn't mentioned in the interview on Dragon Dynasty One Armed Swordsman DVD!

Are you guys referring to the HK trail or the Taiwanese trail ? The "Bar Death" or the "Wifes Lover" ?

BTW, I like Jimmy Wang Yu (maybe not the real time killer) but the movie Killer !! I love THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN & THE SEQUEL.. He is not a major MA actor, but in his own way he is a ICON of that particular time pre Ti Lung/Venoms Shaw.. That is the style he brought with him to the lower budget Taiwanese productions ..

Personally I am most fascinated with his far reaching TAIWANESE TRIAD connections !

~Athena

The bar death and, if anyone has more info, his story that he was approached a few years ago to assassinate a Taiwanese politician. My understanding was that he lead reporters (and lawyers) to the wife's secret rendezvous with her lover and exposed the affair on television. If there was a death involved with that, too, then I'd like to hear about it.

Whatever the sum of his private life was, the success of One Armed Swordsman (1967) and the sequel Return of the One Armed Swordsman (1969) truly helped pave the way for Bruce Lee to return to Hong Kong, and smash the box offices wide open with The Big Boss (1971) (a.k.a. Fist of Fury in the U.S.), which then in turn helped propel the Shaw Brothers success with King Boxer and Boxer from Shantung, (1972). But that is just my opinion.

The lover in the affair of Jimmy Wang Yu's wife committed suicide after the scandal. I will try to remember where I read that, and re post it here.

On the Golden Swallow DVD... Cheng Pei Pei talks about how it was like working with Jimmy Wang Yu. I remember her saying he was arrogance, rude, and a few other things. I was actually surprise when I heard her bad mouthing Jimmy Wang Yu, but then again, I've heard similar stories before.

The bar death and, if anyone has more info, his story that he was approached a few years ago to assassinate a Taiwanese politician. My understanding was that he lead reporters (and lawyers) to the wife's secret rendezvous with her lover and exposed the affair on television. If there was a death involved with that, too, then I'd like to hear about it.

I don't have much in the way of fact on the above, but can attest that all kinds of rumors about JWY, even occasionally printed in the scandal sheets, have been floating around in HK and Taipei for many years. The two points of public knowledge are 1) a couple of times, years back, he was involved in fights in some nightclubs in Taipei; it was brought to court and I think he was fined, and 2) the deal with his then-wife and the reporters etc, is true.

Here's the excerpt from wiki:

"Jimmy later remarried, this time to air hostess, Kai-cheng (王凱貞). This marriage, too, proved to be a stormy relationship and Kai-cheng filed for divorce. Maybe out of frustration, Kai-cheng started an affair with a young businessman (張昭). Having gotten wind of it, Jimmy, accompanied by reporters and the police, surprised the couple at their lodging and publicly exposed his wife. After public humiliation was heaped on the couple, Jimmy dropped Kai-cheng in 1997.

There were other serious problems in Jimmy’s life. In 1981, he faced a murder charge in Taiwan. However, the charge was dropped due to lack of evidence. Jimmy’s involvement in public brawls also made the headlines from time to time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wang_Yu

Also, there's the rumor that he has some kind of ties to crime gangs over here. In any event, he definitely has the reputation that he's the wrong person to cross!

Thank you for sharing that info Jadedragon.

For Jimmy fans, here is a video I posted in the 'Daily FuTube Showcase' back on 8/8/10

It really is quite interesting, and definitely worth a viewing.

DESCRIPTION

This is a must see video for any Jimmy Wang Yu fan. This video was shot in Japan at the Tokyo Fantastic Film Festival in 2003. With the help of a interpreter, Jimmy is asked about directing and starring in Master of the Flying Guillotine. He was also asked about portraying the legendary 'One Armed Swordsman' so many years ago. The video is subtitled in English :)

PART 1

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

PART 2

[bBvideo 620,385]

[/bBvideo]

I don't have much in the way of fact on the above, but can attest that all kinds of rumors about JWY, even occasionally printed in the scandal sheets, have been floating around in HK and Taipei for many years. The two points of public knowledge are 1) a couple of times, years back, he was involved in fights in some nightclubs in Taipei; it was brought to court and I think he was fined, and 2) the deal with his then-wife and the reporters etc, is true.

Here's the excerpt from wiki:

"Jimmy later remarried, this time to air hostess, Kai-cheng (王凱貞). This marriage, too, proved to be a stormy relationship and Kai-cheng filed for divorce. Maybe out of frustration, Kai-cheng started an affair with a young businessman (張昭). Having gotten wind of it, Jimmy, accompanied by reporters and the police, surprised the couple at their lodging and publicly exposed his wife. After public humiliation was heaped on the couple, Jimmy dropped Kai-cheng in 1997.

There were other serious problems in Jimmy’s life. In 1981, he faced a murder charge in Taiwan. However, the charge was dropped due to lack of evidence. Jimmy’s involvement in public brawls also made the headlines from time to time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wang_Yu

Also, there's the rumor that he has some kind of ties to crime gangs over here. In any event, he definitely has the reputation that he's the wrong person to cross!

Public brawls don't surprise me as in interview stuntmen have said that if you got the choreograph wrong Jimmy hit the stunt guys for real.

SMK remarked on JWY interviews: the best one I know of is contained as a bonus on the "Master of the Flying Guillotine" DVD. JWY in Japan, acting all humble, gives a long interview about the film.

post-97-144199712892_thumb.jpg

I just rewatched that, but it was a DVD from Netflix and it had no special features.... Who put out the version you are referencing?

I just rewatched that, but it was a DVD from Netflix and it had no special features.... Who put out the version you are referencing?

Eastern Eye is the company. Here is a site that has the details: http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... guillotine

But for 25$, I think it's too much. I bought mine here, years ago, and paid, I think about 20 RMB. But of course this is a copy - but the copies of DVDs here are damn good.

Ok, I don't like the way this is going, so I'm just gonna stop searching photos now...

LOL, but damn, they all sure look young.

Cool pics man, thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for sharing all this JadeDragon !! Just very COOL !! :love

Re: The 2nd Death (wifes lover).. It was & still are speculations about the death not being a real suicide. It was even some kind of claim (??) filed or the appeal was denied for a re investigation.. That again lead to more speculations that the death involved a cover up.

Jimmy does not need to worry I think because the team of top (alle Taiwanese United Bamboo attorneys) he always surrounds him self with would put O. J. Simpson's "Dream Team" to SHAME !! It is also alleged that he has a much larger stock than he admit too, in the corporation that eventually ended up buying up the MAGNIFICENT SHAW BROTHERS Clear Water Bay area.

If so, very COOL ! The ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN is the last man STANDING AT THE SHAW STUDIO LOT !! :rofl

~Athena

Disclamer ! I have no "PROOF" off course, these are just ALLEGATIONS in HK & Taiwan ..

Jadedragon61

" The ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN is the last man STANDING AT THE SHAW STUDIO LOT !! :rofl "

Yeah, Athena, JWY has always impressed me as a deep & dark MF :swearing

What with his money, lawyers, and shady connections, nothing would really surprise me about that guy.