Samurai Ressurection (2003)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chiba2000

Well, the new Makai Tensho was a nice try, but not even close to the greatness of the original version starring Sonny Chiba as Yagyu Jubei....what or who can beat that anyway? :)

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest BuddhasClaspedHandz

yeah chiba, i watched it last night .. it wasnt too bad .. i thought the swordplay was a little suspect .. the SFX were used well .. with better fight choreography it could have been something special

Guest Lunamask

Hey Chiba 2000

I already got two versions of Makai Tensho already! LOL!!!

What I really want now, is the Shin Kage No Gundan movies subtitled! Hint, Hint, Hey Cannibal King!!! Master that one for us!!!!

Guest chiba2000

my Makai Tensho collection will be complete once "someone" 8) finish subtitling the original Makai Tensho, Japan DVD as master...oh it will be sooo great. ;)

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest chiba2000

sorry guys, it's me again. ;)

Shin Kage no Gundan is not one single movie, not two, not three but FOUR movies! WHOHAA! :)

/Chiba2000 8)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Very entertaining remake of the Chiba classic Makai Tensho. Story stays pretty close to the original with only a few minor variations. Effects were well done (obvious good sixze budget), the actors were competent enough, and the action scenes were suprisingly good. I enjoyed iyt alot more than I expected, check it out if you havent already. I give it a 4/5.

Guest Daisho2004

I agree with you on this movie even though I didn't see the Original, as of yet this was a very good movie, good action scenes and good storyline.

Guest jmungus

i used to be a total sucker for those jubei movies dealing with makai breaking loose on earth. possessed samurai warriors, resurrection rituals n stuff, shogunate rivalry and underdog/outcast heroism- thats actually great stuff to fill the screen with :D

the dark spiritual aspects paired with traditional chanbara elements could really pull me in.

i believe i watched most/all of the makai flicks & recall 1 of the early 80s flicks being really good, and another one quite sucky; then theres 3 from the mid/late 90s, which are sub par (i think "jubeis revenge" is the one standing out a little- in a positive way that is), and as for makai tenshou 2003- i totally dug the flick watching it the first time around.

i rewatched it last year and would realize the many shortcomings in terms of aspects regarding direction, scripting, pace, structure and the likes.

now i think it could have been a lot better. i would still recommend for fans of supernatural creepy camp material to check this out, if they re not familiar with jubei yet.

its one outstanding anti-hero cult character in movie history, thats for sure

this hell is worth 7 out of 10 :evil :smokin

Guest Daisho2004

Just going through the old threads and thought this is another movie that should be checked out if you haven't seen it, very nice remake good action, good storyline. Release date was 2005'

synopsis:

37,000 peasants perished in the Shimabara Revolt; among them, the leader of that uprising, Shiro Amakusa. More than a decade later, Amakusa rises from the dead hell-bent on revenge. Resurrecting a ghastly army of living dead master swordsmen by way of an occult art called "Makai Tensho"(demonic transmigration), he sets his sights on overthrowing the Shoganate. Standing in their way Legendary Samurai Jubei Yagyu, who will have to fight the reincarnation of his own father before the fierce final confrontation with Shiro Amakusa himself! Historical Background of Samurai Resurrection, Making-of, Visual Special Effects Making-of, Interview of (Director of Special Effects, Visual FX Making w/ audio commentary, Interview of Tomoo Haraguchi. Deleted Scenes, Storyboard, Trailer, TV spots.

Archived