Knockabout

SMK

Do you think Knockabout is a kung fu comedy masterpiece?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Knockabout is a kung fu comedy masterpiece?

• Yes
    • No
    • I just enjoy the kung fu part of it

A film I have seen many times over, always the FOX DVD with the English dub track on. I know a lot of people do not like comedy mixed with their kung fu, but for the most part, the comedy in this film really works. They are a bunch of instances in this film where I found myself literally laughing or at least cracking a smile to what I was seeing or hearing on the screen. To me, this is one of the best kung fu comedies ever!

Yes, I definitely agree with you, this is one of the best kung fu comedies ever! Some of my favorite kung fu comedies are:

Martial Club

Monkey Kung fu

Mad Monkey Kung fu

• Administrator

Me too. I love this movie. Sadly, when I showed it to my son I could see his eyes kind of glazing over during the non-action scenes. :thinking But he was blown away by the kung fu. Ah well, we can't share everything with our children. But I can still go back to it myself again and again. Lau Kar Wing is (as usual) simply amazing with his pipe combat skills!

If you guys don't have the Hong Kong Legends version of this, I highly recommend you pick it up. Just a few extras, but they're very cool.

Yes, this is a favourite of mine also. You simply can't go wrong with this combination of talent both in front of the camera and behind it.

Great film still to watch it in Mandarin but have already seen it in Cantonese & English Oh & Bey's Commentary on the HKL.

Jackie, Sammo & Biao where the guys I started off with so really don't mind Kung Fu Comedies sometimes it's nice to have a light hearted Kung Fu Film.

This was probably my favourite film at one point January 2008 I think.

Funny thing is my first post at KFCF was about KNOCKABOUT as well.http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/jrcma/Knockabout.jpg

Great film still to watch it in Mandarin but have already seen it in Cantonese & English Oh & Bey's Commentary on the HKL.

Jackie, Sammo & Biao where the guys I started off with so really don't mind Kung Fu Comedies sometimes it's nice to have a light hearted Kung Fu Film.

This was probably my favourite film at one point January 2008 I think.

Funny thing is my first post at KFCF was about KNOCKABOUT as well.

I have seen the US FOX release of Knockabout several times, I didn't even realize the HKL version had Bey's commentary. I HAVE to rewatch this movie again now, the HKL version, just to check it out with the commentary. If you hadn't mentioned it, I may have missed out. Thanks jrcma. :clappinghands

I have seen the US FOX release of Knockabout several times, I didn't even realize the HKL version had Bey's commentary. I HAVE to rewatch this movie again now, the HKL version, just to check it out with the commentary. If you hadn't mentioned it, I may have missed out. Thanks jrcma. :clappinghands

Your Welcome I actually got the HKL for Bey I actually had the HK FortuneStar dvd first then got the UK HKL dvd later.

Leung Gar Yan (Beardy) goes a bit over the top with his comedy acting, but overall this is a class film. The HKL dvd is the best, great extras especially the " against the red" promo which was shot to promote the film but not in the film itself.

Leung Gar Yan (Beardy) goes a bit over the top with his comedy acting, but overall this is a class film. The HKL dvd is the best, great extras especially the " against the red" promo which was shot to promote the film but not in the film itself.

Yes, I need to track down the HKL DVD of this film, as I only have the U.S. Fox release.

The UK dvd of Knockabout is rare and people are asking silly money for it. But the exact same dvd was released in Australia and is still available. Found it on EBAY here.http://tiny.cc/ynl39.

scroll to bottom of page to see the proper versions....

The UK dvd of Knockabout is rare and people are asking silly money for it. But the exact same dvd was released in Australia and is still available. Found it on EBAY here.http://tiny.cc/ynl39.

scroll to bottom of page to see the proper versions....

Wow, thanks for the tip and the link, I really appreciate it.

Yes, I need to track down the HKL DVD of this film, as I only have the U.S. Fox release.

I got mine from this site in Australia about two months ago. It was in stock at the time and took about two weeks to get to Oklahoma. I think the prices fluctuate pretty regularly on the site. It was about $18 when I ordered it.

I'm not sure Leung Kar Yan wanted to do comedies when you look at some of his later films & of course the earlier Shaw's but I think that was more Shaw's style.

Morgoth Bauglir

Definitely one of the best kung fu comedies. Love the scene at the start where Biao and Leung Kar Yan are fighting over the bag of money.

Lau Kar Wing is (as usual) simply amazing with his pipe combat skills!

Lau Kar Wing’s snake with the pipe style gave me the chills. Brilliant stuff.