Piper (2015) - New Korean Horror

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

First time director Kim Kwang-tae brings us a Korean take on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale of the Pied Piper. The story of a flute player who visits a rat infested village and lures them away with his music, only to be betrayed by the villagers he tried to help, and take revenge by using his talents to lure away their children. Here the ever reliable Ryoo Seung-ryong takes the role of the piper, in an adaptation which brings the tale to 1950, set in a remote Korean village. This looks like it'll be one that's worth a watch.

Check out a review from the guys over at Twitch here -

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/07/review-the-piper-a-satisfyingly-grimm-fairy-tale.html

bAoeVjVN-KI

tumblr_nr8pak7tl51sup8qgo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to see it at Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I think Amazon actually does a better job of adding Korean films...but both are slow at adding new titles.

Laura

• Like 1

On 12/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, Chatnoir said:

I'd like to see it at Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I think Amazon actually does a better job of adding Korean films...but both are slow at adding new titles.

Laura

It's been on Amazon Video (for rental/purchase) but not on Amazon Prime Video.

I have it on DVD not sure if it ever came out on blu-ray.

• Like 1

Hey @One Armed Boxer looks like for once I'm the one late to the the party :laugh

I've rather enjoyed this as a low key social (commentary) drama. Also it does move at a slow pace but never as to lose its audience. Towards the end it does get quite bloody and the last act with the kids is equally cruel. Although for those familiar with the Pied Piper of Hamelin not too suprising.

Also special mention to the two lead actors (Ryu Seung-ryong & Lee Sung-min) who did a great job! Also a pretty strong supporting cast. Only the cheap looking CGI sometimes took me out of the movie, which is kind of unfortunate.

It remains a interesting piece of korean film making since its the first and only film ever made by Kim Gwang-tae.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2