Seventeen Ninja review

Guest pressureworld

Guest pressureworld

Genre: Ninja (shot in black & white)

Title: Jushichinin no Ninja, Seventeen Ninja (1963)

Director: HASEGAWA Yasuto

Cast: SATOMI Kotaro, KONOE Jushiro, OTOMO Ryutaro,

MISHIMA Yuriko

I grew up watching American Ninja films such as Enter

the Ninja and Revenge of the Ninja etc. which were cheesy fun, but still entertaining. I then graduated to films like Shoguns Ninja which I hated and I have been pretty

much turned off every since. I then discovered Shinobi No Mono, Ninja Hunt, Samurai Spies and now Seventeen Ninja how does it hold up well lets see.

The first five minuiites of this film it was clear I

wasn't watching Pray for Death. The Shogun is dying

and he is leaving two sons his older son Lord Iemitsu

is to be the new Shogunate but his younger brother

Lord Tadanaga wants the position and has alined

himself with some pretty powerful dyanmo. The young

lord signs a pact with the dyanmo this pact is the

focus of the film. The english title Seventeen Ninja

refers to the Iga Ninja clan who want to see Lord

Iemitsu inheriet the Shogunate to do this he must

steal the pact and believe me there is nothing easy

about that. In fact when the mission is described the

Iga chief tells his ninja followers "Im asking you to die". It then clicked that this is a film about a suicide mission the Iga few in numbers must take on to steal the all important pact. This is a dead serious movie by any account. The villain a lone ninja from the negero ninja clan is working independently for Lord Tadanaga's dyanmo he has his own very interesting motivation for destroying the Iga and he's no joke. It is a uphill battle for the Iga if they are to survive. This isn't a mind blowing film but it is pretty impressive stuff by any standard. The action scenes are amazing for the time period and the story is rock solid.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr Dragula

Never been a huge ninja eiga fan, but I do enjoy some of the classics. This appears to another well worth looking into, nice write up man.

Guest KevinClo

I’ve never been much of a ninja guy, but I love the serious ones. I think I watched this one last summer, but can’t remember the details. Thanks for the post since now I want to watch it again! :) BTW, wasn’t there a sequel to this one?

Another cool one to watch is Third Ninja.

KC

Guest pressureworld

Thanks Kevin Im looking forward to Third Ninja that's one I haven't seen yet, it's funny because I was never a Ninja fan but the films Ive watched lately have been very good. Im about to get back on the samurai films Im going to try and review some of the more obscure ones.

Guest Tosh

I'll have to agree a good serious Ninja film is hard to come by, having grown up watching the Sho Kosugi movies(a million times I'll add:b ), it's hard to watch them now they're so cheesy, but they'll always have a great nostalgia to them. 17 Ninja sounds like it be my kind of movie.

Guest Mr Dragula

The original Castle of Owls is quite good, and i've heard tell the remake Owl's Castle is even better.

Archived