Music to Classical Films

BobXCIV

I need help on identifying a few songs from the following movies.

(Generally Golden Harvest isn't that big on releasing soundtracks, unless it's for a Jackie Chan film. While many of the songs are taken from other artists, there are still a few that I haven't found.)

In Magnificent Butcher (1979), there are two variations of "The General's Mandate" and they're also used in Dreadnaught. I can't seem to find them online and I'm not sure if they exist online. Clearly they had to have existed since they were used in films. Also, in the beginning of Magnificent Butcher, there's a song that plays. It's folk song called "Romance of the Carriage Driver" or 马车夫之连 and the version used in the movie is by Li Tai Hsiang or 李泰祥 (they took a few other of his tracks) (Link to the song:

). In the movie, there's another variation on that song, which is more orchestral, but like before, I can't find it anywhere. I know it's used in the training scene and the scene where Butcher Wing breaks into Ko Tai Hoi's boat.

Also, in another Golden Harvest film, Last Hurrah for Chivalry (1979), there are two variations on the theme. The original version was actually released on the late cantopop singer's, Roman Tam's, soundtrack (Link:

), but the other two variations can't be found. They're both found in the trailer for the film; one of them is an instrumental played on the guzheng and the other is a more fast-paced version of the original.

And in another Golden Harvest film, Knockabout (also 1979), there is a folk song that plays at the beginning and it plays throughout the film numerous times. I remember hearing it on a train to Shanghai last month, but none of my family members could identify it.

And in The Victim (1980), there is a song that plays at the end of the film during the credits and it's also played throughout the film.

In the Shaw Brothers film Heroes Two (1974), I need help identifying the theme. It's definitely not a DeWolfe Track since Shaw Brothers wasn't licensed to use them until 1976. Apparently someone found the theme, but won't say where it's from. (Link to the theme:

)

And finally another Shaw Brothers film, Ten Tigers of Kwangtung (1979). I need help identifying the music used in the intro sequence and the music used leading into the fight between Li Jen Chao and General Liang (

). I just need the song that plays at the beginning of the clip. The two songs are probably DeWolfe Tracks, but I have no luck so far in finding them.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived