Upcoming Arrow "Stray Cat Rock" bluray collection

JimPV

I've had mine ordered since June 1st, and next week it'll be shipping. Can't wait! Never seen any of these films, and Arrow always does a great job.

Anybody else looking forward to this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had mine ordered since June 1st, and next week it'll be shipping. Can't wait! Never seen any of these films, and Arrow always does a great job.

Anybody else looking forward to this?

Just posted a review for the first film, Stray Cat Rock: Delinquent Girl Boss.

The rest of the films on the set will follow within the next couple of weeks!

I'm happy this is getting a US release since the UK set seems to be OOP. I don't have immediate plans to buy the set, though; I've got the Japanese DVDs which I bought about 7 years ago.

The interesting thing about this series is that it had two film makers (Hasebe & Fujita) filming completely different kind of instalments at the same time. Hasebe was doing wild action pictures while Fujita was doing youth films, which is the genre he's best known for in Japan (it's kinda funny he's known for the two Lady Snowblood films abroad... those are the two most un-Fujita like films he ever made). I like both of Fujita's instalment, especially Beat '71,but frankly they are not his best work and tend to be overshadowed by the Hasebe films. Machine Animal is probably my favourite of the series.

Just posted a review for the first film, Stray Cat Rock: Delinquent Girl Boss.

The rest of the films on the set will follow within the next couple of weeks!

Good review, although I think your reasoning goes a bit haywire at one point:

In a lot of ways, Asian cinema was ahead of Hollywood when it came to female action stars. As far as Japan went, I think part of this is can be traced to the fact that women went to the movies much more than the men did.

I think the opposite should be true. The female action films in the 1960s and 1970s were most likely being made for male audiences who liked seeing pretty girls kick ass. Unless I'm mistaken, female audiences did not rush into cinemas and influence Japanese cinema much until the late 1970s and early 1980s. That's when Japanese filmmakers started to emphasize drama and love stories even in yakuza films to appeal to female audiences and violent action films pretty much disappeared.

Of course, that wasn't the only reason. The collapse of the studio system also contributed to the death of Japanese action cinema. But I do recall several Japanese filmmakers stating that they basically stopped making action films in the late 1970s because the studios were trying to appeal to the female audiences.

Looking forward to the rest of the reviews.

Takuma...

The review was written by contributing writer Kyle Warner, not me. But I will let him know and try to get him to reply to you.

Thanks.

Takuma...

The review was written by contributing writer Kyle Warner, not me. But I will let him know and try to get him to reply to you.

Thanks.

Oh, sorry, I just assumed it was written by you.

Oh, sorry, I just assumed it was written by you.

No worries. I should have stated it to begin with. I'm sure he'll appreciate the feedback!

Archived