The one Shaw that comes to mind.

winehouse

I consider my self fairly knowledgeable in the Shaw Brothers Kung Fu / Martial Arts areas of their catalog and I've seen my share of films.

The one that always comes to mind is Killer Clans. If I am debating on what Shaw I should put up, it's always Killer Clans.

I understand most have different preferences due to the nuance-ial worlds of the movies. But for me Killer Clans...That's where it's at.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eastern Evil

Killer Clans is a great movie & there is a lot going on, so it is always good to replay that one. Chor Yuen is my favorite director at Shaw & his Gu Long collaborations are always my favorites to watch & watch again, not only for the story but for the great visuals. He had great set designers working for him & could master that fog machine to create beautiful scenes. Good choice.

Secret Executioner

There are actually two movies that immediately come to mind when I consider watching a Shaw - The Five Venoms and The Water Margin. These have a little something that made me feel kinda addicted to watching them. :tongue:

Tex Killer

I had to rewatch this, seeing just once years ago. Flick is definitely superb, propably among top3 of Chu Yuan. Highly recommended for anyone who has not seen this.

:nerd:

Train in Vain

I'm not too well versed in all their films but Five Deadly Venoms is the first one I think of.

Eastern Evil
I'm not too well versed in all their films but Five Deadly Venoms is the first one I think of.

You have a nice road ahead of you if you choose to take it :cool:

masterofoneinchpunch

I think more of directors and movements more than a specific film when I think of the Shaw Brothers. I tend to think of Chang Cheh, Chor Yuen and Lau Kar-leung's period films as well. To a lesser extent I think of Sun Chung.

But if I was to here Shaw Brothers I think Chang Cheh comes to mind first: whether it is Five Deadly Venoms, One-Armed Swordsman or one of the many films he has directed that I have enjoyed. Much more so than Chor Yuen who I like but has a much more spotty record for me (The Magic Blade is one of my top 50 HK films.)

But if it is October than I might think of the horror films of Shaw with The Boxer's Omen coming to mind (Black Magic comes to mind too, though I try to shoo it away.)

paimeifist

While it isn't my favorite SB movie, and probably not even a top 5 for me to be honest... When I think of Shaw Brothers, the first movie that comes to mind is The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Right now, it's Five Venoms. That is the one I keep going back to and have more fun each time I watch.

I've been very impressed by most of the Shaw films I've seen recently not just by the stories / characters / acting but everything else too.

Morgoth Bauglir

The last 3 SB movies I've seen have been Killer Constable. It's always on mind. One of the greatest movies ever made.

The next one that comes to mind is Avenging Eagle.

Dirty Ho is the main movie that comes to mind. Then The Crippled Avengers, but I may have gotten tired of seeing that one finally!! Right now if I was going to re-watch something it may be Death Duel with Derek Yee.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Three months later,  Judgement of An Assassin and The Deadly Breaking Sword  just will not leave my memory. I've enjoyed 99% of the Shaw Brothers films I've seen (only Snake Prince truly left me questioning my Shaw addiction), but those two movies with their excellent characterizations, plots and villains (and heroes) just won't leave my brain.

I watch the opening fight to DBS several times a week at work now, to get me ready for the work day. And how cool to see a spaghetti western style showdown set in historical China. I love that.

Truthfully,When I think about Shaw Brothers I don't think about the movies.I think about the PEOPLE.The actors and actresses within the movies.

I think about Lau Kar Leung,("The Pops")Kuo Chui,Lily Li ,Chen Kuan Tai,Wai Ying Hong,Gordon Liu,Ti Lung,David Chiang,Fu Sheng,Cheng Pei Pei,Even Chang Cheh who was a director not an actor.

Believe it or not,a name comes to me first before any movie does.That's how profound an impact they had on me.Just like if you were to ask me the same question about Golden Harvest who do you think I'm going to say? Here's a hint...Wahtaaah! (accompanied by the sound of nunchaku whirling in the background)?

Archived