Mile 22 (2015) - Iko Uwais & Ronda Rousey

FrankBolte

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws
3 hours ago, D1 Ma said:

Checked Ryan Watson's filmography and to be honest, his previous work didn't impress me ( I mean, some big movies, but nothing spectacular in terms of fight choreography)

Sometimes a choreographers work can be pulled apart and wasted, by poor editing or camera angles. Which is not always an excuse for bad screen combat, but something to consider. A bit like when certain actor/actress's look better or worse, depending on who the fight director is. For an old school example, looks at Kim Tai Chung in Tower of Death, then compare that with his performance in Fist of Death.

https://www.slashfilm.com/mile-22-review/

"Coming only a couple weeks after the superlative Mission: Impossible – Fallout also does no favors to Mile 22, which has some of the most herky-jerky, poorly edited and generally incomprehensible action sequences in recent memory. Even those sequences focusing on Uwais are often difficult to parse. Every time this movie could capture two guys fighting each other in one shot, it chooses to do so in at least ten shots badly stitched together. It’s not that Mile 22 would be a great film if the action was coherent, but at least that would be something."

Ugh.

Drunken Monk
37 minutes ago, Ronin said:

"Coming only a couple weeks after the superlative Mission: Impossible – Fallout also does no favors to Mile 22, which has some of the most herky-jerky, poorly edited and generally incomprehensible action sequences in recent memory. Even those sequences focusing on Uwais are often difficult to parse. Every time this movie could capture two guys fighting each other in one shot, it chooses to do so in at least ten shots badly stitched together. It’s not that Mile 22 would be a great film if the action was coherent, but at least that would be something."

Ugh.

Yup, I just read a bunch of reviews and they all say the same thing: this film is terrible. Apparently, the shaky-cam is worse than ever.

58 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Yup, I just read a bunch of reviews and they all say the same thing: this film is terrible. Apparently, the shaky-cam is worse than ever.

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Ugh.

You could unstand the trying to hide an actors lack of skills, if it was an older star, or someone with no Martial Arts experience. Only they have chosen to use one of the best talents around, in Iko Uwais, then capture the scenes so badly, you cant tell who's who, or whats going on.

ShaOW!linDude
5 hours ago, Ronin said:

"It’s not that Mile 22 would be a great film if the action was coherent, but at least that would be something."

SIGH. Alright. Dadgummit. It's Iko, man. I'm going to be optimistic (very uncharacteristic of me) and reserve judgment till I see it. I'll probably be livid if/when I get burned (very characteristic of me).

That's surprising and very, very disappointing to hear. I'll still watch it but will temper my expectations accordingly. Especially since Berg made the very enjoyable The Rundown with I thought pretty decent fight scenes. i don't see how it could happen, I'd have thought Iko at least would want to make sure his scenes were being captured properly.

8 hours ago, SamSeed said:

That's surprising and very, very disappointing to hear. I'll still watch it but will temper my expectations accordingly. Especially since Berg made the very enjoyable The Rundown with I thought pretty decent fight scenes. i don't see how it could happen, I'd have thought Iko at least would want to make sure his scenes were being captured properly.

They may have filmed his scenes competently, but once that footage hit the editing bay it sounds like it is a whole other story. I will never understand Hollywood filmmakers who hire martial artists and then cut their action choreography to bits.

Seems like another case of Hollywood Editing to me.

what a shame :( 

Thanks to the people who spent their valued time watching this!

Actress Amy Johnston auditioned for a role in this movie, which she reveals on her very open, latest video, Job's I Didnt Get. Visit her YT channel, for the ful low-down on this story. Not all performers are so open, about the jobs they failed to get.

Meh, Iko was the best actor in this. Story for me was blah, Action was good, but shot not so well still wasn't awful though. I could have went without seeing this, but i always like to support the martial art genre people. Hopefully Iko gets better movies that show his skill and are better shot for his skill to be in,  Just my 2 cents. I mean coming from Merantau, The Raid,  Man of Tai Chi ,Headshot and then downhill from there to this.(Beyond Skyline wasn't terrible, but still not on that level)

ShaOW!linDude

Iko was completely wasted in Man of Tai Chi which was a shame because I was so hoping for a good throwdown between him & Tiger Chen. Really hoping Triple Threat makes up for that.

on Man of Tai Chi, the original idea for Tiger & Iko's fight was very much better, it was a battle between two noble warriors, Iko's character originally had a line along the lines of "I have nothing against you personally, but at this level of combat, once of us could die'....they had an epic fight but before they could finish, the Police come and break it up and he offers the hope that they can continue their fight some other day....it was very cooland thats why i reached out to him for the character, unfortunately by the time we got to shoot the fight, they changed the idea and i think wasted him in the movie

ShaOW!linDude
3 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

...unfortunately by the time we got to shoot the fight, they changed the idea and i think wasted him in the movie

Ugh. I hate when that happens. Thanks for sharing that tidbit.

That was one of the most disappointing film experiences I've ever had. Before even getting to the action, the plot commits the cardinal sin of being both dull and without conflict. Well there is conflict but the characters are so thinly sketched it was difficult to care about any of it. Add to this Mark Wahlberg playing one of the most annoying and mean spirited characters. Actually, mean spirited sums this one up. Iko does come out well I do have to say, he seems much more threatening in demeanour.

Now. The action. Sigh. I fail to see how they managed to hire one of the best martial arts actors in the world. Then hire seemingly the worst editor. The next time somebody asks me what 'Death By 1000 Cuts' entails, I'll show them a fight scene from this film. Apart from the first fight, where actually it wasn't too bad (that scene is on YouTube, he's in a hospital room), after that we're in Bourne-esque territory. There is no sense of geography in the staging, just a random assemblance of shots and loud noise rendering any ability to see the choreography useless. 

Avoid if you can. And I hate saying this about an Iko film. If you must, watch the action when it appears in YouTube eventually but even then don't be in any hurry to do so.

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is giving Mile 22 a U.S. release on Blu-ray & DVD, with special features, on November 13, 2018.  (news on videoeta.com and www.blu-ray.com)

I dont know, I Kind of liked it...sure, not a martial arts movie but in a weird way I liked it..Iko stole the Show though.. 

film was quite brutal..like they tried to have the same extreme brutality as in the raid movies..naturally they failed to do so but it was still good enough for me to not 

turn it off... definetely will check part 2 since the end was Kind of open ….

the movie was pretty weak overall, but what ruined it completely was the very bad direction. There was enough action to satisfy an action junkie, but it was so horribly shot that totally ruined any impact the action scenes could've had. One of the perfect examples of unbelievably badly shot action..

Iko's scenes actually were nicely choreographed, nothing extraordinary, but good, however they were destroyed by editing. I mean, it literally looked like if somebody had an ultimate goal to ruin a fight scene. Even then it would take a lot of effort  to do such a horrendous job. Borne's editing looks perfect comparing to the mess they did in Mile 22.

Just awful...  And I LOVED the trailer

Off topic. I watched The Spy Who Dumped Me and was surprised how good the action was for that kind of a movie. There were 3 action sequences that I really enjoyed. And that's a dumb comedy! Creators of Mile 22 should be ashamed of themselves

The editing was really poor not as bad as some make it out to be. But sometimes the cuts are so quick you just lose complete sight of the action. The story is so-so. I felt Ronda Rousey was totally underused. Also Wahlbergs acting was a bit over the top for my taste. Overall a very average effort.

28 minutes ago, D1 Ma said:

Off topic. I watched The Spy Who Dumped Me and was surprised how good the action was for that kind of a movie. There were 3 action sequences that I really enjoyed. And that's a dumb comedy! Creators of Mile 22 should be ashamed of themselves

Yes, I felt exactly the same way ☺️ I thought oh well let's watch some brainless comedy and after the first action scene, I was like damn that's surprisingly good. The movie makes for a fun evening!

Archived