How is the Bruce Lee Legacy Collection compared to previous releases?

Yellow Faced Tiger

Yellow Faced Tiger

I already the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Ultimate-Collection-Dragon-Death/dp/B000A9QK9Q

and imported the Legendary Collection a while ago

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Legendary-Collection-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0049SB3ZU/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435819674&sr=1-5&keywords=legendary+bruce+lee

Wasn't really wowed or amazed by either set in terms of the picture and audio and am looking for a more definitive collection that'll be worth the moolah for lack of a better way of saying it.

Initially I heard Shout Factory made some kind of mistake with their initial release of the Legacy Collection and used the...Kam and Ronson (I think?) masters but later and currently have fixed it so that the set comes packaged with what they originally intended.

All in all I'm just wondering if I could maybe get some input from those who either own or are knowledgable about the set. Naturally picture and audio comes first but I also hear there are some nice bonus features as well (commentary?).

I also was just curious about Way of the Dragon in this set. I'm not too familiar with it but I heard for the English audio they actually reinsert Bruce's real screams? I'm so used to hearing the non-Bruce ones in Way when I watch English but that'd be pretty cool I think.

Also do they still have Mike Remedios singing the Fist of Fury intro and outro?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'd go with this.

And yes, Shout! did fix the original set, but to me, that "book" Blu-ray set is a bit overkill.

For the price, go for the Premier collection.

newgen2005
Honestly, I'd go with this.

And yes, Shout! did fix the original set, but to me, that "book" Blu-ray set is a bit overkill.

For the price, go for the Premier collection.

I agree, unless you want the book style packing go for the Premiere Collection.

I have them both and I must admit the packing is nice to look at on the Legacy Collection but the discs are a pain to get out. Also you get DVDs in the set which to me is a bit of a waste of time.

One thing worth noting if your not in the US, both of these editions are locked to region A.

Yellow Faced Tiger

I see. Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was thinking the book packaging looked like it'd be cool to have from purely a collector's sense but if the discs tricky to get out I'd rather not scratch anything if I can avoid it. Seems like Premiere is probably a better value but the Legacy book is so shiny! Lots to mull over for me lol. But in terms of what the films look and sound like would they currently be much better than what I've seen before in the two sets I already own?

Also one more side note but I've never seen the Japanese version of Way of the Dragon before. I've seen the "desert" fight but that's about it. How much extra music do they add as a whole?

And fortunately I am in the US so it works out in terms of the Premiere and Legacy sets being region A. That being said it would've been nice region free though.

I agree, unless you want the book style packing go for the Premiere Collection.

I have them both and I must admit the packing is nice to look at on the Legacy Collection but the discs are a pain to get out. Also you get DVDs in the set which to me is a bit of a waste of time.

One thing worth noting if your not in the US, both of these editions are locked to region A.

I thought my father told you to mind your own business.

I see. Thanks guys I appreciate it. I was thinking the book packaging looked like it'd be cool to have from purely a collector's sense but if the discs tricky to get out I'd rather not scratch anything if I can avoid it. Seems like Premiere is probably a better value but the Legacy book is so shiny! Lots to mull over for me lol. But in terms of what the films look and sound like would they currently be much better than what I've seen before in the two sets I already own?

Also one more side note but I've never seen the Japanese version of Way of the Dragon before. I've seen the "desert" fight but that's about it. How much extra music do they add as a whole?

And fortunately I am in the US so it works out in terms of the Premiere and Legacy sets being region A. That being said it would've been nice region free though.

I'm in the UK and bought the Premiere Collection mate.

In terms of picture quality The Big Boss is terrific. Fist of Fury is perhaps a "touch" off in terms of colour but still excels. The Way of the Dragon was shoddy in terms of camera work anyway but the final third of the movie looks incredible. Game of Death is merely an upgrade.

The sound options are perhaps the coolest thing about the set and you have more options than I can be bothered listing. Premiere all the way, as my man said the Legacy is overkill. If you want pictures, look at a book.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yes, the discs are a little annoying to remove the first couple of times, but it's not like you're fighting you way down the Hall of Wooden Men or anything! :tongue:

Personally, I'd recommend the big set with the book. If you need them cheap, I understand skipping it for the Premier Collection. But if you are a geek for this sort of thing... like me... the extra cash is worth it for the Legacy Collection. :nerd:

I already the Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection on DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Ultimate-Collection-Dragon-Death/dp/B000A9QK9Q

and imported the Legendary Collection a while ago

http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Legendary-Collection-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0049SB3ZU/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435819674&sr=1-5&keywords=legendary+bruce+lee

Wasn't really wowed or amazed by either set in terms of the picture and audio and am looking for a more definitive collection that'll be worth the moolah for lack of a better way of saying it.

Initially I heard Shout Factory made some kind of mistake with their initial release of the Legacy Collection and used the...Kam and Ronson (I think?) masters but later and currently have fixed it so that the set comes packaged with what they originally intended.

All in all I'm just wondering if I could maybe get some input from those who either own or are knowledgable about the set. Naturally picture and audio comes first but I also hear there are some nice bonus features as well (commentary?).

I also was just curious about Way of the Dragon in this set. I'm not too familiar with it but I heard for the English audio they actually reinsert Bruce's real screams? I'm so used to hearing the non-Bruce ones in Way when I watch English but that'd be pretty cool I think.

Also do they still have Mike Remedios singing the Fist of Fury intro and outro?

The Legacy Collection is the definitive one at this point. It has all the extras and stuff. Really worth it, I think. Yeah, Shout did have an extremely embarrassing issue with using an upscale provided by Fortune Star but that was corrected. However, they did not color-correct the true HD release so their prints look like everyone else`s releases. So, technically, there is no definitive release of these BL films because they really do not look like they should on blu-ray; only on dvd perhaps. But, the Legacy Collection has lots of trailers and extras. And, it is a little overkill but each film is on blu-ray and dvd. Sadly, some of the extras are dvd only. I think the book that you get is really nice but does take up a lot of space on your shelf. I ended up removing all the discs from my set and have them stored in a separate container so they do not get accidentally broken and just display the book on top of my blu-ray shelf.

Also, there is an up-coming Korean release. However, it looks like it is perhaps an re-imaging of the BL Ultimate Collection but with perhaps a few new features. I can not say for sure but I did not see where it included an English dub. So, it is possible that there may not be one.

I am happy with The Legacy Collection and now have no further interest in anything BL unless someone finds the missing holy grail BL material and/or remasters those ugly-ass HD releases the world is currently stuck with.

Archived