Memories of the Sword (2015)

whitesnake

Memories of the Sword is a new period martial arts movie set during Korea's Goryo dynasty. The film opens in South Korea in August.

maYifQwcUyA

"Three warriors, Poong-chun, Seul-rang, and Deok-gi fight for the impoverished people under the incompetent king. But Poong-chun ends up dead by Deok-gi's betrayal and Seul-rang disappears with Poong-chun's young daughter. When the three meet again 18 years later, their fiery drama unfolds with breathtaking martial arts."

Heung-Sik Park is the writer/director. The cast includes Byung-hun Lee (RED 2, I Saw the Devil, and upcoming Magnificent Seven reboot) , Kyeong-yeong Lee (War of the Arrows, Kundo: Age of the Rampant), and Do-yeon Jeon.

Info from http://www.filmsmash.com/news/trailers/memories-of-the-sword-teaser-and-character-posters-added-online/

One Armed Boxer

Nice find! Never thought I'd see the day when Lee Byung-hun and Jeon Do-yeon are starring together in a Korean wuxia movie. I've never seen any of the directors other movies, but based on the talent on Byung-hun and Do-yeon alone, this should be worth a watch.

Not to familiar with the director but I have seen 3 of his movies which I enjoyed. I also have another one waiting to be watched.

Seen:

Children of Heaven

I Wish I had a Wife

Bravo, My Life!

Have but not watch:

My Mother The Mermaid.

They are all drama/comedy which are more on the heartfelt side.

71rTc759iKL._SL1001_.jpg

Well Go USA is releasing this Korean wuxia film on DVD and Blu-Ray on January 12. It stars Lee Byung-Hun as a one-time prolific swordsman who has become a corrupt government official and seeks the throne for himself. Meanwhile, his one time lover has been training a young woman in the art of the sword so she can avenge her father's death. Her father was a former ally of Lee's character and the lover but was betrayed by Lee. Here is my review of the film:

https://worldfilmgeek.wordpress.com/2015/12/25/review-memories-of-the-sword-2015/

• Like 2

This movie started off with so much potential but overall was a disappointment. It has its moments but its just not strong enough to recommend.

• Like 1

Rewatched and my opinion still holds. If they edited the film down from 120 minutes to 90 it might not make it better but it would make it more watchable. 

I've really been getting into Kim Go eun. Trying to watch all her movies.

• Like 1

Came across this film years ago because sites like KMDB credit Won Jin to it, but it's the other Kim Won-jin (of BEST stunt team). I remember it being okay, but not leaving much of an impression, when I get some time I'll watch it again.

• Like 1