Spider Force (1992) - Carter Wong Modern Actioner

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I had no idea that Carter Wong was front and center of a modern actioner from 1992 until today, has anyone here seen this one?

spider_97df8b9c3387a549b700357f4db9e3e6.jpg

vklB9AVShcE

This one was released by Tai Seng on one of their cheaper VHS/DVD "trilogies", IIRC. But it didn't appeal to me at the time, so I never watched it.

Morgoth Bauglir

Carter Wong as the lead in a 1992 action movie sounds great. And the clip was entertaining. Let us know about it if you watch it OAB.

It's on YouTube-

XfjyF996jBw

One Armed Boxer
Carter Wong as the lead in a 1992 action movie sounds great. And the clip was entertaining. Let us know about it if you watch it OAB.

It's on YouTube-

XfjyF996jBw

I'd love to, but not on youtube! Wonder if there was ever a DVD release of this?

Morgoth Bauglir

I hear ya. I'd rather watch a VHS than YouTube. I'll try to watch it on my phone some time. I have a lot of free time some nights at work.

Secret Executioner

The title of this thread keeps making me think of Carter Wong as Spiderman... Strange premise, though it could make for a fun flick. :tongue:

DragonClaws
What about Hardcase & Fist? Anyone remember that 1989 release?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097480/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_11

Spider Force is probably better because I recall this was awful.

Picked up a copy of Tough & Deadly on DVD, and Hardcase & Fist was paired with it. Not the best Martial Arts film Ive sat through and Carter Wong only has a supporting role.

An old review:

Spider Force (1993) - Back in the late 90s, the major (legal) distributor of Hong Kong cinema in the USA was Tai Seng. They released movies of all sorts, not to mention HK TV series dubbed in numerous Asian languages (Vietnamese, Cambodian, Hmong, etc). With the coming of Jackie Chan to the USA and the crescente interest in HK movies, they started hawking any generic action movie they could find to fans at the affordable price of 14.95. They often took movies that had nothing to do with each other and marketed them as part of a "series". The movies I'll be watching for the next several weeks will be culled from these different series.

Spider Force was marketed as part of the "China Heat" series, next to China Heat and something called Hard to Die (aka The Dragon Fighter). It's a nonsensical cops n' robbers movie about Mainland cops teaming up with Hong Kong cops (led by Carter Wong, best known as the elemental who inflates himself in Big Trouble in Little China) to bring down a crime boss (he sells heroin, guns and deals in White slavery, too). The crime boss happens to be uncle of both one of the Hong Kong cops (Sharon Kwok, credited as Michelle Ko) and the wife of one of the Mainland cops. That's mainly excuse for a bunch of shoot-outs and kung fu fights, which Carter Wong himself choreographed. The action is entertaining, even if not up to the standard of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung. Carter Wong is powerful, if a bit slow. He does get to tangle with Paul Rapovski of Hitman fame. The girls' fighting, including adult film actress Pauline Chan, is entertaining, too. Despite some good action, this isn't a good movie. The characters are as thin as rice paper and, even worse, there's rarely any sort of logical progression from one scene to the next. Stuff happens just because the director/writer says so. It makes following the "plot" a chore. So it's Worth watching mainly to see an older Carter Wong in action

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1