Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

Killer Meteor

newgen2005
I have always seen the trailer in 1.85:1 (I own a 35mm print which I saw screened at a Dolph Lundgren night in Paris) or 1.78:1 (the French DVD features both in 1.78) , as well as the movie, which I'm pretty certain was shot in 1.85:1 (it was a rather small budget and DP Mark Irwin usually shot 1.85 at the time).

Nice, 35mm print. How did you manage to get hold of that?

Nice, 35mm print. How did you manage to get hold of that?

Simply ebay (the theatrical trailer I meant, not the full feature) :wink:

Cognoscente
On 3/18/2013 at 12:18 AM, gwailosforever said:

Here in the UK it went straight to VHS (although I know it had one cinema screening in Birmingham as part of a double bill with 'Pedicab Driver'). In the States it had a full theatrical release.

I wonder if it would have got a proper UK theatrical release had The Punisher got the attention that it deserved.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
9 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I wonder if it would have got a proper UK theatrical release had The Punisher got the attention that it deserved.

The Punisher went straight-to-video in the States. It's weird to think there was a time when Marvel movies were not a license to print money!

It's ironic that Lundgren got the best start over Van Damme and Seagal (villian in Rocky IV, major hero roles in Masters of the Universe and The Punisher) but was the first to be condemend to video B-movie hell.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

In his "Reel Life Adventures" book, film critic Mark Kermode admitted that he made a mistake in predicting that Dolph would succeed over JCVD and Arnie because Dolph was the only one between the three who could do a believable American accent.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
5 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

In his "Reel Life Adventures" book, film critic Mark Kermode admitted that he made a mistake in predicting that Dolph would succeed over JCVD and Arnie because Dolph was the only one between the three who could do a believable American accent.

I think Lundgren makes for a better villain than hero, but damn, he's very good looking.

Poor film roles didn't help. Whilst Van Damme was in the truly entertaining and uplifting Bloodsport, Lundgren was playing a thoroughly unlikeable lead with a bad haircut in Red Scorpion.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

It's a pity that no-one in the nineties thought about him doing a Duke Nukem movie. That could have been his iconic role.

• Like 3

ZenkaigerBat

Happy 30th Anniversary Showdown In Little Tokyo

On August 23, 1991.  Showdown In Little Tokyo was released 30 years ago!

• Like 4

ZenkaigerBat
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

was there any unreleased scenes ever for this?

Warner's still hasn't from this day, maybe never as they seem to  not have much love for it.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2013 at 2:56 AM, Takuma said:

This is common in Japan. Smutty salarymen with enough money still frequently do it.

Kanye West has made it into the news for hiring someone to do this at a party, with Social Media peepz getting upset about the sanitary conditions of such practice and acting like he'd found a new way to exploit women. My thoughts were that more Millenials and Generation Zers need to watch Showdown in Little Tokyo (or Big Tits Zombie).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kanye-west-served-sushi-off-185100338.html

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

One Armed Boxer
6 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Kanye West has made it into the news for hiring someone to do this at a party, with Social Media peepz getting upset about the sanitary conditions of such practice and acting like he'd found a new way to exploit women.

aka Nyotaimori, a must for any visitor to Japans itinerary. :tongueout

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BigDruDogg said:

He is a Genius :xd:

Yes he is. =)  

"Now let's go eat sushi off naked women!" - Brandon Lee, Showdown in Little Tokyo 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Takuma said:

At least they are not accusing him of cultural appropriation! :laugh

Give it some time. lol 

PandaPawPaw

I'm not sure if I've seen this.

Is this the one where at the beginning Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is banging some girl and then kills her?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
6 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm not sure if I've seen this.

Is this the one where at the beginning Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa is banging some girl and then kills her?

Yes.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
13 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Yes.

Ah right then I have seen it but I don't remember the rest. :blush

But at least I remember the important bits...............

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
12 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Ah right then I have seen it but I don't remember the rest. :blush

But at least I remember the important bits...............

That scene plays out much more shocking in the uncut version (Australian DVD) than it does on the censored US cut (all stateside DVDs and Blu-rays are cut). It's an incredibly fun movie.

• Like 2