Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

Killer Meteor

OpiumKungFuCracker
the japanese bath scene had mad potential but was pretty well delivered.

the banter between lee and dolph was trash..props to brandon for going ahead with the "Big D" comment, lol.

Best line in the movie.

Guest Markgway
The film was taken away from Mark L Lester by a dissatisfied Warner Bros and edited without him. They cut out the whole original opening

Same thing happened to The Punisher.

gwailosforever

Were you guys aware that Roger Yuan appeared in the film? Yes the bad guy from 'Shanghai Noon' and the fiendish Dr Wu from 'Black Dynamite' is one of the kickboxers Lundgren beats up in the opening scene. See attached pic. Not easy to recognise as he had hair back then! Roger will next be seen in Dustin Nguyen's Vietnamese action epic 'Once Upon A Time In Vietnam' http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19581

280701_large.jpg

A few other familiar faces pop up in the film. Simon Rhee of 'Best of the Best' fame is the Yakuza thug who slices off his own finger. Al Leong from 'Rapid Fire', 'Lethal Weapon, 'Die Hard' etc can be seen in the background when Dolph escapes the mansion in the car.

Killer Meteor
Were you guys aware that Roger Yuan appeared in the film? Yes the bad guy from 'Shanghai Noon' and the fiendish Dr Wu from 'Black Dynamite' is one of the kickboxers Lungdren beats up in the opening scene. See attached pic. Not easy to recognise as he had hair back then! Roger will next be seen in Dustin Nguyen's Vietnamese action epic 'Once Upon A Time In Vietnam' http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19581

280701_large.jpg

A few other familiar faces pop up in the film. Simon Rhee of 'Best of the Best' is the Yakuza thug who slices off his own finger. Al Leong from 'Rapid Fire', 'Lethal Weapon, 'Die Hard' etc can be seen in the background when Dolph escapes the mansion in the car.

I noticed Yuan in the credits.

I also noticed the tattoos were designed by Patrick Tatopolous, who designed GINO (Godzilla In Name Only)

Well spotted. Didn't notice that!

Just found some interesting triva on the imdb page. Gives a little more info about the deleted scenes. I've no idea where the info is sourced from though

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102915/trivia

Most infos come from my research and archives documents (interviews with writers, producers, director + several drafts of the script etc).

One of the reasons Warner cut and re-cut the movie several times was to make it more of a Brandon Lee film, hence the shorter opening wich was about Dolph...

By the way you can get a copy of the production draft by Jonathan Lemkin with the deleted scenes from the Store Hollywood Book & Poster (they ship worldwide).

Kenner with former partner Eddie in the intro bust:

DELSHOW.JPG

newgen2005
Most infos come from my research and archives documents (interviews with writers, producers, director + several drafts of the script etc).

One of the reasons Warner cut and re-cut the movie several times was to make it more of a Brandon Lee film, hence the shorter opening wich was about Dolph...

By the way you can get a copy of the production draft by Jonathan Lemkin with the deleted scenes from the Store Hollywood Book & Poster (they ship worldwide).

DELSHOW.JPG

Awesome, thanks for the info! Do you have the production draft?

Yes I do, plus an early draft by Steve Sharon (THE DEAD POOL) that was much different, much less tongue in cheek, with the same premise but a different plot. This one was written right after the first script penned by Steven Glantz and Caliope Battlestreet (the only credited writers although several followed).

gwailosforever

Good to see you on here Jox. Have been a frequent visitor to your website for a few years now. Keep up the good work :)

Can you share any further information about Showdon in Little Tokyo? How many scenes were actually filmed and how many were just cut at script stage? It's sad that what footage is lurking in Warner Bros vaults is unlikely to ever see the light of day

Yes I do, plus an early draft by Steve Sharon (THE DEAD POOL) that was much different, much less tongue in cheek, with the same premise but a different plot. This one was written right after the first script penned by Steven Glantz and Caliope Battlestreet (the only credited writers although several followed).

Great, do you have any pictures of it? how many pages? What exactly is it called?, I want to contact them about ordering a copy!

Good to see you on here Jox. Have been a frequent visitor to your website for a few years now. Keep up the good work :)

Ah cool thanks a lot, I always wonder how many people are really interested apart from the gang who participates. Haven't had time to update the site as much though, but the forum is very active and has all the news and info.

Great, do you have any pictures of it? how many pages? What exactly is it called?, I want to contact them about ordering a copy!

- The Steve Sharon draft is 104 pages, was dated May 1990, was first called YAKUZA (after the first SILT script was "SGT. K.") but Warner submitted it to agents as SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO. It's hard to find, I was lucky I got it through ebay 10 years ago.

- Other drafts have been penned in between by Gary Devore (DOGS OF WAR, RAW DEAL, PENTATHLON) and Dennis Hackin (BRONCO BILLY, HEARTBREAK BRIDGE).

- The Jonathan Lemkin production draft (the one you can order) is dated 1/2/91 and is 95 pages (basically the movie should have been 90 minutes). I haven't read it in a while but aside from the extended prologue, there are additional scenes with his boss at the police station, a car chase that turns into a fight in a mall (not filmed), you see some scenes have been moved like the Kenner training sequence (some cut footage in the trailer btw) which was towards the beginning of the movie (after the opening) with some flashbacks... Plus as I said some lines have been reedited in the final cut so here you have the lines as they were written and shot...

P.S. I'll tell all about it in a project I'm working on.

post-721-144191896776_thumb.jpg

Ah cool thanks a lot, I always wonder how many people are really interested apart from the gang who participates. Haven't had time to update the site as much though, but the forum is very active and has all the news and info.

- The Steve Sharon draft is 104 pages, was dated May 1990, was first called YAKUZA (after the first SILT script was "SGT. K.") but Warner submitted it to agents as SHOWDOWN IN LITTLE TOKYO. It's hard to find, I was lucky I got it through ebay 10 years ago.

- Other drafts have been penned in between by Gary Devore (DOGS OF WAR, RAW DEAL, PENTATHLON) and Dennis Hackin (BRONCO BILLY, HEARTBREAK BRIDGE).

- The Jonathan Lemkin production draft (the one you can order) is dated 1/2/91 and is 95 pages (basically the movie should have been 90 minutes). I haven't read it in a while but aside from the extended prologue, there are additional scenes with his boss at the police station, a car chase that turns into a fight in a mall (not filmed), you see some scenes have been moved like the Kenner training sequence (some cut footage in the trailer btw) which was towards the beginning of the movie (after the opening) with some flashbacks... Plus as I said some lines have been reedited in the final cut so here you have the lines as they were written and shot...

P.S. I'll tell all about it in a project I'm working on.

Thanks for the info, do you know how much this draft will cost?

http://www.amazon.fr/Dans-griffes-du-dragon-rouge/dp/B00005BCZN/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1411855260&sr=1-1&keywords=showdown+in+little+tokyo

No idea if this is already common knowledge on here, but just got my hands on this and can confirm it's the full, uncut version.

Please note that it's region 2 PAL.

The sleeve is in French but everything on the disc is English.

This release is way cheaper than the German uncut DVD so is clearly the one to get.

I remember seeing the work print about 10 years ago.

Really, where?! Do you remember anything about it?

When I interviewed Mark Lester in Cannes last year he said he would try to get Warner to revive and release his director's cut on Blu but I have very few hopes that it will ever happen. They'll just put out the theatrical cut on a barebones disc. Question is when. Now the movie is available on 1080p on demand (iTunes, Amazon etc) so there must be an HD master out there...

Some of this stuff could be being incorrectly remembered. For example it is said that the intro to Sgt. Kenner at the start is completely different, I don't remember it being different, but there was definitely a training montage of Kenner at the beginning. There is a car chase and crash and ensuing shootout at a shopping mall between Sgt. Chris Kenner & Det. Johnny Murata and Yakuza guys. Bit more nudity, Angel's decapitation shows more, Sgt. Kenner stabs a guy in the gut and twists the knife in the pool at the pool party. Minako's rape is more brutal. More drama e.g. Detective Nelson has a bigger role in the movie because of this.

Are you talking about the script or workprint?

I believe the training montage that was indeed at the beginning in the script was just shortened (some deleted footage) put towards the end before the final showdown. The car chase, crash and shopping mall brawl (again in production script) was not filmed according to Lester. Nelson has a bigger role and so does Kenner's former partner Eddie who's taking a big part in the opening (deleted footage).

Now the movie is available on 1080p on demand (iTunes, Amazon etc) so there must be an HD master out there...

It's on Amazon on-demand? I can't find it...

The DVD isn't even in the movie's correct screen aspect ratio (notice that the dvd is 1:78 or so while the trailer indicates the movie was shot in 2:35).

I have always seen the trailer in 1.85:1 (I own a 35mm print which I saw screened at a Dolph Lundgren night in Paris) or 1.78:1 (the French DVD features both in 1.78) , as well as the movie, which I'm pretty certain was shot in 1.85:1 (it was a rather small budget and DP Mark Irwin usually shot 1.85 at the time).