Showdown in Little Tokyo (1991)

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

I can't tell if this is supposed to be taking the piss out of the late 80s/early 90s Japanophobia and the homoerotic nature of action flicks but...sushi on nude women! What next?

Dolph Lundgren is a (cough) samurai

Brandon Lee is a (cough) Japanese

Tia Carrere is (cough) nude.

And Pat Johnson is no Sammo.

Astoundingly, this was a major studio theatrical release. Was it successful?

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

i remember me running to the video shop to rent this out..i was 13/14 at the time. Was there an uncut version?

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
i remember me running to the video shop to rent this out..i was 13/14 at the time. Was there an uncut version?

US and UK versions are cut AFAIK, the Australian dvd is uncut and widescreen.

• Like 1

gwailosforever

I love this film. I too remember renting this when it first came out. Loved it then and still love it now.

Here in the UK it went straight to VHS (although I know it had one cinema screening in Birmingham as part of a double bill with 'Pedicab Driver'). In the States it had a full theatrical release.

293907_260275627337160_176191074_n.jpg

300072_260275474003842_1468272784_n.jpg

303205_261078243923565_1854422506_n.jpg

310859_261078253923564_1331409223_n.jpg

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
US and UK versions are cut AFAIK, the Australian dvd is uncut and widescreen.

i knew it..another american samurai?As in cut-wise?

• Like 1

Great film. You even get to hear Dolph speak Japanese (with mostly made up subtitles :tongue: )

sushi on nude women!

This is common in Japan. Smutty salarymen with enough money still frequently do it.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
Great film. You even get to hear Dolph speak Japanese (with mostly made up subtitles :tongue: )

This is common in Japan. Smutty salarymen with enough money still frequently do it.

For some reason, I imagine Teru Shimda eating off Karin Dor in You Only Live Twice. Before the piranhas ate her...

• Like 1

The HD version shown on Sky Movies HD (UK) is uncut. I think it was just the butterfly knife bits that were removed from the UK version back in the 90's.

Would love to see this get released on blu ray!:tongue:

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
think Tia Carrere used a body double :neutral:

Yeah. There's a lot of breasts in this movie and I think only Dolph's are actually real!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gwailosforever
The HD version shown on Sky Movies HD (UK) is uncut. I think it was just the butterfly knife bits that were removed from the UK version back in the 90's.

Would love to see this get released on blu ray!:tongue:

Here is some similar behind-the-scenes:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JY99FS8638

Agreed a blu-ray release is long overdue. Over the years I've heard various stories about the original opening sequence which was cut. It showed Dolph working with his previous Japanese partner.

The film was taken away from Mark L Lester by a dissatisfied Warner Bros and edited without him. They cut out the whole original opening, plus explains the very short running time for the flick. One of the shortest ever for a major Hollywood film if I'm not correct. Sadly any of us seeing the cut footage in the future is highly unlikely

• Like 1

gwailosforever

Yes she used a double. Dolph confirmed it in an interview. Sadly can't remember which one right now!

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Tia Carrere sings a lovely song at the end of Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm.

What was with Dolph's "samurai" outfit? How the heck did they force that on him?

• Like 1

Definitely did, but I think this may be the best Tia ever looked in a movie. She was 24 at the time... :bigsmile:

• Like 1

Agreed a blu-ray release is long overdue. Over the years I've heard various stories about the original opening sequence which was cut. It showed Dolph working with his previous Japanese partner.

The film was taken away from Mark L Lester by a dissatisfied Warner Bros and edited without him. They cut out the whole original opening, plus explains the very short running time for the flick. One of the shortest ever for a major Hollywood film if I'm not correct. Sadly any of us seeing the cut footage in the future is highly unlikely

Hopefully we will get an Ultimate Edition Blu-ray that has the uncut opening!! Well we can at least dream of one!!!:bigsmile:

I have never heard anything about the cuts you mention, never even seen any serious discussions about the topic. The only stuff I have read is the stuff on IMDB, mainly negatives about the film! But as you say the film must be cut to bits! Never even heard of a workprint, that would be a must see! not sure if one even exists!?

I love the film, no sure why it gets so much bad press!!

• Like 1

gwailosforever
Hopefully we will get an Ultimate Edition Blu-ray that has the uncut opening!! Well we can at least dream of one!!!:bigsmile:

I have never heard anything about the cuts you mention, never even seen any serious discussions about the topic. The only stuff I have read is the stuff on IMDB, mainly negatives about the film! But as you say the film must be cut to bits! Never even heard of a workprint, that would be a must see! not sure if one even exists!?

I love the film, no sure why it gets so much bad press!!

Great to hear I'm not alone in appreciating the film.

Check out this link for lots of publicity stills and posters

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/gallery/showdown1.html

A little bit of info about the cut scenes here

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/showdown.html

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdown_in_Little_Tokyo#Cuts

• Like 1

Great to hear I'm not alone in appreciating the film.

Check out this link for lots of publicity stills and posters

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/gallery/showdown1.html

A little bit of info about the cut scenes here

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/showdown.html

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showdown_in_Little_Tokyo#Cuts

Thanks for the links, I will have a read!!

Might be worth us trying to contact Warner Bros to ask them if they are planning to release it on Blu-ray!!

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

I think it's a weird film, and it misuses its stars, but it's good fun if you're in the right mood. Warners barely released it at all.

I think Dolph could have gone on to a good career. He got a LOT of attention as Drago. It's a shame Masters Of The Universe and The Punisher were made by crumbling studios, and Red Scorpion, entertaining as it is, was a serious mistep.

• Like 1

gwailosforever

Yeah outside of America, Mexico, Israel and Italy, Warners released it straight to VHS. It wasn't a huge production budget, plus Warner saved millions not producing many film prints and investing in cinema advertising. That coupled with rental, VHS/DVD sales plus TV rights over the years it must have made a tidy profit.

Always loved Dolph. Granted his film career could have been bigger, but I like how humble and grounded here appears to be. Very little ego compared to some other 80s action stars ;)

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Another thing: notice in the stills that Dolph has an amazing kick. I don't think you see it in the film once as the camera is too close and the choreography is mostly low kicks and punches. A bit of John Liu style showboating would have been awesome.

I saw Lundgren on the Jonathon Ross show the other week. Very pleasant chap.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

the japanese bath scene had mad potential but was pretty well delivered.

the banter between lee and dolph was trash..props to brandon for going ahead with the "Big D" comment, lol.

• Like 1