NINJA HUNT aka "Ninja Gari" - 1982

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

NINJA HUNT aka "Ninja Gari" - 1982

It's a rare occasion when a noted filmmaker like Yamauchi Tetsuya gets to re-visit a

previous film, and in this re-make of NINJA GARI, he not only does that, but has created

an even better piece. While the original from 1964 starred the great old-time actor

Konoe Jushiro, this version is perfectly cast with his son Matsukata Hiroki in the lead

as Wadakuro, one of four ronin hired to fight against the Shogunate's plot to abolish the

Gamo Clan, who are struggling to reinstate their young heir Tanemaru as their Lord.

Facing the threat of the Koga Ninja, Wadakuro shows his own cruelty while on a

personal vendetta. This is a very brutal film, with lots of realistic ninja action, violent

deaths, a dark story line and is completely without any light-hearted 'humor' elements

that Toei used to incorperate back in the golden era. And with Matsukata Hiroki's

outstanding martial skills, the swordplay is even better in this one. This is definitely one

of the best ninja movies ever made!

OK my review: Having seen both movies its very hard to choose which film is better and its very rare that you get a chance to see a Father & Son being portrayed as the same character in a remake of a movie, I might give this remake a slight edge on being a better movie maybe because I like Matsukata Hiroki better than his Father Konoe Jushiro as a Swordfighter but again its a hard choice to make. This is a very dark Ninja movie with a lot of good action. Again I would have to say that both movies should be added to any collection.

gari82.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pressureworld
I might give this remake a slight edge on being a better movie maybe because I like Matsukata Hiroki better than his Father Konoe Jushiro as a Swordfighter

Daisho Im suprised you said this is as good as the first film, you sold me. I can't wait to pick this up.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Daisho can you give me some specs on the disc (audio, video, aspect, subs, image, ect..) ? Thanks.

Guest sea kelp

I'm a big fan of the first movie so I really need to see this. It's very convenient timing that CK put this out seeing as I just watched On Patrol (thanks pressureworld) and need to see the sequel- also available from his site under Purple Killer. I can give you the Ninja Gari disc info when I get it if Daisho doesn't reply first :D

Guest Daisho2004

GLMF, as far as aspects of the film its in Color - Fullscreen - Extras, the audio/subs/picture are excellent as you should expect from CK.

Archived