The Foreigner (2017) Jackie Chan & Pierce Brosnan

SamSeed

It might be that the movie is viewed as a political hot potato since it deals with  radical UK secessionist politics and you have the whole Brexit thing and etc.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HyperDrive said:

It might be that the movie is viewed as a political hot potato since it deals with  radical UK secessionist politics and you have the whole Brexit thing and etc.

It played a part in the movie not getting a cinema release, but it hasnt stopped NetFlix picking up the film. It's also funny how there's no DVD/BR release yet, despite it getting a lot of positive feedback. Maybe when they pick certain titles up, they ask the company selling the film, to hold back on the physical release for awhile.

So, being in the UK I've had to wait so long to see this, only did today because a family member recently got Netflix. I would put this in the higher portion of Jackie's filmography, it's well made, the script is interesting enough to hold you during non action scenes and Jackie is... actually as un-Jackie like as I think I've ever seen him. A staunch, stoic performance, conveying 90% of the character through his expressions, it was worth watching just to see him push his acting abilities like that. Brosnan was passable, not as good as Bond, not as bad as Mamma Mia. I will say I thought the action was really good. Shorter bursts than I was expecting but what there is is well filmed and brutal whilst seemingly adapting to Jackie's age and skillset. I feel obliged to watch the other Jackie film on Netflix I haven't seen yet, Skiptrace. We'll see next week...

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
26 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

So, being in the UK I've had to wait so long to see this, only did today because a family member recently got Netflix.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as the rest of us.  I find it cruelly ironic that, considering it was you that started this thread back in mid-2015, you had to wait until 2018 to check it out!:tongueout

23 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Glad you enjoyed it as much as the rest of us.  I find it cruelly ironic that, considering it was you that started this thread back in mid-2015, you had to wait until 2018 to check it out!:tongueout

We can watch films on just about any kind of tech, in any place you wish. Yet I'm sure it's taking longer for films to reach us in some markets, at least. Or in some cases the movie never gets a release at all, in certain parts of the world.

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

We can watch films on just about any kind of tech, in any place you wish. Yet I'm sure it's taking longer for films to reach us in some markets, at least. Or in some cases the movie never gets a release at all, in certain parts of the world.

This is very true. I'm still waiting to see Sammo's Boduguard film!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SamSeed said:

This is very true. I'm still waiting to see Sammo's Boduguard film!

Cine-Asia U.K havent even bothered to pick this one up yet:speechless

Fan here are still  still waiting for a physical release of this film, in the U.K, and it was filmed here. Donnie Yen's Ice-Man sequel, gets picked up quickly by Cine-Asia, and yet where still waiting for one of Chan best films in the last few decades. I know Cine-Asia wont get the rights to this production, but it's just an example, of how some of the worst Asian stuff gets a release, and some of the qulaity titles, get held back, or ued to entice more money to be spent on digital platforms.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

kingofkungfu2002
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

I got the USA release but it's Region Locked, i think it's out in Germany & Australia for Region B. Good movie, i really liked this one.

I think the German bluray is cut.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:43 AM, kingofkungfu2002 said:

I think the German bluray is cut.

According to DVD Compare, it's uncut.

43 minutes ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

It says on this listing, in the description, that the German bluray is only 1hr 49 mins.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foreigner-uncut-Blu-ray-Jackie-Chan/dp/9461875185

Interesting. Perhaps DVDCompare is wrong, or the German release runs at PAL speed (which, as a blu-ray, would make it interlaced).

• Like 1

The Chinese cut of the movie apparently features extended versions of the fight scenes. Anyone know if the Hong Kong bluray (https://www.yesasia.com/global/the-foreigner-2017-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1064629718-0-0-0-en/info.html) contains these extended fight scenes? It runs at 111 min opposed to the original 114 min cut of the movie.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Finally got a copy of the HK bluray a few days ago and skimmed through the action. I can gladly say that the extended fight scenes are featured there and thereby also confirming that the HK bluray contains the Chinese cut of the movie (111 min).

• Like 2

Very interesting, thanks DiP. I saw the Chinese cut in theatres, but assumed that any extended scenes were of dialogue rather than action. Do you know what's missing from the Chinese cut to result in a shorter running time?

• Like 2

According to a user in the comment section of the video above, the China cut features Jackie more both action and dialogue-wise which coincides with something I read about Jackie not having enough dialogue scenes in the original 114 min US cut. It's also edited differently like some scenes put in different order. So I'm not sure what was cut out in the China cut that is in the US cut.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

I've been slow to get round to watching The Foreigner, and it was the first movie I've watched in over three month's. In short, its a a very good and one of Jackie Chan's best in my opinion. I'll have to re-visit this one in the future and give it the full review treatment.

Hope we get to see Jackie play more roles like this in the future?. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I've been slow to get round to watching The Foreigner, and it was the first movie I've watched in over three month's. In short, its a a very good and one of Jackie Chan's best in my opinion. I'll have to re-visit this one in the future and give it the full review treatment.

Hope we get to see Jackie play more roles like this in the future?. 

Totally agree,less goofing around and doing movies for the sake of it and more of this.A serious Jackie in my opinion is way more watchable than the goofing around one👍

• Like 3

I'm glad you finally got to see it @DragonClaws. I felt a little sorry for you, knowing that you've wanted to see it essentially since the trailer was released, but it was made difficult by the awkward release in the UK. I'm curious what format did you finally watch it on?

7 hours ago, sym8 said:

Totally agree,less goofing around and doing movies for the sake of it and more of this.A serious Jackie in my opinion is way more watchable than the goofing around one👍

Well I think that pretty much seems to be the consensus/sensibility on this forum but I think because he made his name with a comedic style, martial art-comedies seems to be what he likes to stick to most.

• Like 3