The Foreigner (2017) Jackie Chan & Pierce Brosnan

SamSeed

I saw the English/Mandarin version and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know which scenes (if any!) were the 'exclusive' ones. But I can certainly comment on which scenes were in Mandarin. It wasn't much at all. 

Spoiler
  • The majority of Jackie's interactions with Liu Tao's character.
  • The flashback scenes that dealt with Jackie's family's escape from Vietnam.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2017 at 8:34 PM, DragonClaws said:

I know I've said this already, but maybe the recent events in London over the last few months have had an effect on the U.K release date??. The movie deals with the I.R.A, and Chan's daughter gets killed in a Bomb blast, might be a bit too close to home for some cinemagoers?.

That seems like the most likely reason I've heard or read. It would be a shame if that is the case, since often the rhetoric is that people should live their lives as normal or their letting the terrorists win. And could there not be warnings about the subject matter of the movie? So those who would be distressed are less likely to watch it.

On a personal note I was really hoping to see this in a cinema since I've been a fan of Jackie Chan for most of my life but I've never seen any of his movies in a cinema. I'm not particularly inclined at this time to see any of his movies scheduled for release  after The Foreigner.

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Does this mean there's a U.K release next month? or are they talking about the rest of Europe?.

I suspect it's referring to other parts of Europe, since even though screenings have already happened within Europe, there's more scheduled for November.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

That seems like the most likely reason I've heard or read. It would be a shame if that is the case, since often the rhetoric is that people should live their lives as normal or their letting the terrorists win. And could there not be warnings about the subject matter of the movie? So those who would be distressed are less likely to watch it.

It's like when Warner Brothers held back the Schwarzenegger movie Collateral Damgae(2001). The story about a fire fighter losing his family during a terror attack, was a bit too close to home at the time. The film was held back and re-edited, before getting released months later.

I'm more keen to see BladeRunner 2049 on the big screen, than The Foriegner. Yet I'd still support its release if it came out in cinemas here. I can just as easily enjoy it at home DVD/Blu-Ray.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 10/24/2017 at 8:13 PM, Asmo said:

I saw the English/Mandarin version and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know which scenes (if any!) were the 'exclusive' ones. But I can certainly comment on which scenes were in Mandarin. It wasn't much at all. 

Hi @Asmo...the scenes you've detailed are also in Mandarin in the international version of the movie, so I'd definitely be interested to see if there's any additional footage in the Mandarin version, other than the closing track being Chan's song.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:35 AM, DragonClaws said:

It's like when Warner Brothers held back the Schwarzenegger movie Collateral Damgae(2001). The story about a fire fighter losing his family during a terror attack, was a bit too close to home at the time. The film was held back and re-edited, before getting released months later.

The similar thing happened to Clint Eastwood's 'Hereafter', when it was released in Japan just a couple of days after March 11th 2011 earthquake and tsunami.  As the movie also featured a tsunami, it was pulled from cinemas after just a few days.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Hi @Asmo...the scenes you've detailed are also in Mandarin in the international version of the movie, so I'd definitely be interested to see if there's any additional footage in the Mandarin version, other than the closing track being Chan's song.

Hi @One Armed Boxer

Interesting. I haven't gotten around to catching the international version (pretty busy right now). But I read a synopsis of (what I presume to have been) the international version and it doesn't sound like anything that wasn't in the version I saw. Besides the song in the ending credits, the obvious difference was that the print had simplified Chinese subs for the English dialogue, and the classic English/Chinese subs for the Mandarin scenes.

https://www.eventcinemas.com.au/Movie/The-Foreigner---Mandarin-Version#cinemas=58,65,15,19,66,69
"There are also some additional Jackie Chan scenes that are not in the English version."

That was my point of reference for it supposedly being a different cut. It might very well be different, but I don't recall anything that stood out as being absent from the synopsis I read of the international version.

• Like 2

I just finally got around to catching this at the theater. Really enjoyed it. It could very well be one of Jackie's best movies. Thankfully, I knew going in what to expect regarding the fight scenes. Nothing to talk about, sadly. More Jason Bourne than Jackie Chan. Yeah, JC is really starting to look like an old man and seems to be doubled a bit; perhaps a little obvious in a couple of the fights. But, he's still in good shape. 

Certainly the best thing he has done since Shinjuku Incident. And, no JC comedy. Guess it takes a strong director or editor to tame JC's humor. Not one instance of him pulling faces. 

Edited by reason108
  • Like 6

Saw it....and loved it! Best Jackie movie since..drunkenmaster2.

Have to empty your "Jackie cup" indeed but then its a real good movie... theres no face pulling indeed..a few moments the old Jackie shone through..like when he checked his shoe which had a cut in the sole (after stopping  a knive attack)...and the forrest bit was a hommage to Rambo ? :D felt a lot like the first rambo movie... I was highly entertained by this movie, very good film... I hope he will do more films in this manner..he actually could win me back :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Frank Bolte said:

Saw it....and loved it! Best Jackie movie since..drunkenmaster2.

Have to empty your "Jackie cup" indeed but then its a real good movie... theres no face pulling indeed..a few moments the old Jackie shone through..like when he checked his shoe which had a cut in the sole (after stopping  a knive attack)...and the forrest bit was a hommage to Rambo ? :D felt a lot like the first rambo movie... I was highly entertained by this movie, very good film... I hope he will do more films in this manner..he actually could win me back :)

Best film in years so much better then the crap he has been in lately

• Like 3

On 08/09/2017 at 10:18 PM, muppetdanny said:

I think it won't have a UK cinema release. I think it will go straight to UK DVD/Blu-ray like Railroad Tigers and Kung Fu Yoga or Netflix like Skiptrace.  

Told you :bs_coveredlaugh:: December 15th on Netflix (source: http://vodzilla.co/blog/coming-soon-to-netflix/whats-coming-soon-to-netflix-uk-in-december-2017/ )

• Like 1

Easily the best Jackie's "Hollywood" movie and his best "serious" movie.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I was watching a JC movie and wasn't embarrassed for Jackie.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2017 at 1:57 PM, D1 Ma said:

Easily the best Jackie's "Hollywood" movie and his best "serious" movie.

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I was watching a JC movie and wasn't embarrassed for Jackie.

Close. But I still think his best "serious" movie is either Heart of the Dragon or Shinjuku Incident. But as I type this... I doubt myself. Foreigner was really good. :/

• Like 3

I got mixed feelings about this after a first view. Great performance by Jackie Chan! The story is so-so... Action does what it's suppose to do. I might have to re-visit the movie once it's out on Blu-Ray to give it a final verdict.

• Like 2

The film is distinct okay. My problem is that it could have been a fantastic action film. Instead, we get a mediocre political thriller with some solid fight sequences. I think Jackie's performance is great but, at the end of the day, he doesn't really have a lot to say in the film. His actual dialog is super minimal.

That fight scene in the forest? One of Jackie's best of recent years. I absolutely loved it. It's like he toned down his silliness (although it's still there) and added more grit. Great stuff.

• Like 4

On 12/2/2017 at 4:25 AM, DragonClaws said:

No Blu-Ray/DVD realease date yet?

The Foreigner is coming to U.S. Blu-Ray on January 9, according to Amazon.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
On 24/10/2017 at 7:57 PM, DragonClaws said:

Does this mean there's a U.K release next month? or are they talking about the rest of Europe?.

when they refer to Europe they never mean us..lol

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

when they refer to Europe they never mean us..lol

Its on some online digital service, so anyone who prefers DVD or Blu-Ray, will have to wait a little longer.

If the time ever comes, when I have to sign up to multiple online services, just obtain the latest shows/T.V series's, and movies from the past. I'd rather just not bother at all.

• Like 2

Loved this,I thought it had a good story the right amount of action and the right sort of action,Pierce brosnan was great and you watch Jackie and think he looks like a 62 year old(oh wait he is)but when he starts too move he doesn’t move like a 62 year old but wait he is.When he’s not doing goofy movies and instead stuff like this I love it,hopefully more of this kinda movie to come 👍

• Like 6

I watched it yesterday I'd say it's one of Jackie's better movies and fairly different from the rest of Chan's filmography. I thought the story was decent, the action fitted the tone, decent acting by all but to me at least Jackie's character wasn't as fleshed out as he could have been. Most of his character seemed a bit like a modern Chen Zhen; depressed and angry because of the murder of those close to him with little else to the character. Like I already said 'one of Jackie's better movies' and I'll somewhat echo what others have said; it would be nice to see Chan do more of these "serious" type pictures. 

• Like 3

Still no sign of a U.K Blu-Ray/DVD release. Do NetFlix pay companys to hold back the physical releases, if they obtain the rights to screen the movie?. Big fan of the Vikings T.V series, and the DVD/BR boxsets used to come out pretty quickly, until that is, Netflix stated screening the show here. Then the releases dates fo the latet seasons on physical media, began to get longer and longer.

Odd that we have had releaes for all of Chan lesser recent movies, Kung Fu Yoga etc. Even Bleeding Steel will probably get a releases on BR/DVD before The Foreigner does.