The Foreigner (2017) Jackie Chan & Pierce Brosnan

SamSeed

Hopefully will get at least a limited run like Kung fu yoga and railroad tigers

its not even been submitted to bbfc over in uk yet so i think it will be a long wait

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SamSeed said:

It really is mystifying! It's set and filmed in London for goodness sake!

I know I've said this already, but maybe the recent events in London over the last few months have had an effect on the U.K release date??. The movie deals with the I.R.A, and Chan's daughter gets killed in a Bomb blast, might be a bit too close to home for some cinemagoers?.

• Like 3

I've been wanting to see a serious Jackie since "Shinjuku Incident". Which I personally think is still one of his best movies as an actor. Unfortunately, it looks like one will have to wait for a physical release :( as once again the western audience (at least europe) has been neglected. Still hoping to catch this sooner. I'm excited!

• Like 3

On 05/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, laagi said:

as once again the western audience (at least europe) has been neglected. Still hoping to catch this sooner. I'm excited!

I thin the rest of Eorpe will get the film before we do.

It's going to be screened at the North Pole, before the U.K release dates announced.

19 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Does this even have a UK distributor? Someone to email?

There's knowone you can contact in regards of the U.K release date, as far as I know. Otherwise we could all bombard them with emails/messages. I'm sure if Disney where behind the movie, we would have it showing nationwide on multiple screens in each cinema. There's a lot of new British movies I'd love to see in cinemas, but my local multiplex's neglect them for bigger Hollywood productions. It's a worrying trend, as a smaller movies from around the world also get treated the same, even independent U.S productions struggle to get shown. Not to mention cinema owners greed, and their desire to put up ticket prices for event movies such as Star Wars or James Bond. It's not like prices are cheap now,then there's the issue of running these places with bare minium staff. Ok Im shutting up now, before I go on an even bigger rant and really get off topic.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I love this community so much. All really good reviews from our inner circle. My buddy saw this last night and gave it a B grade. I'm so stocked to see this. The only problem is, I'm really lazy. Sorry, digital format has ruined it and made me really lazy. 

• Like 2

The film was #3 at the U.S. box office this past weekend with about $12.8 million, behind Blade Runner 2049 at the #2 spot and horror-comedy Happy Death Day which was the #1 movie at the box office.

"STX Films' action-thriller The Foreigner entered the weekend with an eye on a $10+ million opening and managed to surpass that, bringing in an estimated $12.8 million from 2,515 theaters for a third place finish. The film, which stars Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan, scored a strong "A-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences of which 59% were male vs. 41% female with 55% of the audience coming in over the age of 35.

The Foreigner has now topped $100 million worldwide on a $35 million budget. The film debuted internationally on September 30 and has already brought in $88.4 million. More than $66 million of that comes from China."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4335&p=.htm

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 15/10/2017 at 3:16 PM, thehangman said:

i keep hearing that the chinese version is different to the american version,anyone know whats different?

I haven't heard that anywhere, what sources are claiming it's different?

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I haven't heard that anywhere, what sources are claiming it's different?

Glad I'm not the only one who couldnt find anything online about another version. Not thats it un-common to have a different cut for the Chinese market.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
32 minutes ago, thehangman said:

https://www.flicks.com.au/movie/the-foreigner-mandarin-version/

Says 110min

other runnin time 114min so nort sure if there are cuts maybe?

I believe that's just referring to the Mandarin dubbed version. Australia often gets Mandarin language versions of popular Chinese movies in which it isn't the predominant language. The time difference is likely just a PAL/NTSC thing.

• Like 3

I just watched The Foreigner yesterday and I thought it was fantastic. There's not a whole lot of action and Jackie Chan disappears from the movie for maybe 20-30 minutes, but not once was I bothered by that since I was so invested in the story. And even then, the small bits of action in the movie are super intense and well done. The performances by Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan are both great. It's refreshing to see Jackie in a more dramatic role. There's a whole lot I could say about this movie, maybe I'll post a longer review in the future. But in short, The Foreigner is an exceptional action thriller and easily Jackie's best movie in a very, very long time.

8.5/10

On 10/15/2017 at 6:16 AM, thehangman said:

i keep hearing that the chinese version is different to the american version,anyone know whats different?

Brett Ratner and Jackie Chan mentioned that there's an alternate Chinese version at Beyond Fest this year. In many interviews, Jackie Chan had mentioned that he sings the theme song at the end of the film, which was not the case for the version I saw here in the States. I imagine the Chinese version has that theme song at the end. Based solely off assumptions, it's very likely that there are more scenes with Jackie/Liu Tao and maybe a little less of Pierce Brosnan. A recent music video for the Chinese release of the film has a lot of footage missing from the American version: more footage of Jackie going to Brosnan's farm (1:36-1:41), Jackie tending to a wound on his shoulder (2:38-2:42), an extended fight in the woods (3:03-3:09), and many other clips that I won't mention because of minor spoilers:

However, I'm only speculating. I haven't seen the Chinese version of the film. And, hell, maybe the footage I mentioned isn't in the Chinese version either. This is all just me speculating. I'd love to see the version released in China to compare.

EDIT:

The AMC Atlantic Square 14 in Monterey Park (about 20 miles from my house) is apparently playing the Mandarin version. If I can find the time (and money), I'd love to watch it.

25fo7xt.png

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 4

I went and saw this today. It's probably one of the most kick butt films in recent times. No doubt that one of its strengths is the experience that Brosnan and Campbell had from working on Goldeneye together and how Chan just smoothly flowed right into their style. They did a real nice job of updating the novel's setting to modern times, which is maybe the reason why it hasn't gotten a UK release yet.

Basically it was one of those movies where you had the right people at the right time and some real magic was created. I can also confirm that there is no theme song at the end of the official US release as I stayed until after the credits rolled.

• Like 4

English/Mandarin version (the international version looks to have the Mandarin parts dubbed into English) seems to have extra scenes with Jackie (as per Event Cinemas' website).

Gonna see it tomorrow, if I like it enough I'll go see the international version another day, see if I can pick up any differences (they're playing at different cinemas). Hey, I have a few vouchers to use. :smile

• Like 2