Kung Fu Bob's exclusive interview (MovieTown 2015)

teako170

For those of you who don't get on FB, the crew of HK URBEX (Hong Kong Urban Exploration) recently visited the old Shaw Studios and took some amazing video. A new interview will be coming out shortly on these guys which I look forward to reading.

The team uploaded a treasure trove of jaw dropping and rather depressing mages of the beloved studio. They came across a ton of old reels and various discarded memorabilia amongst the "ruins." Two of the images that they posted featured the mask that Lo Lieh wore in HUMAN LANTERNS and Fu Sheng's shrine at his makeup booth (yes - its still there after all these years!). Please check these guys out when you can at: https://www.facebook.com/hkurbex

?v=Ke1FhqpMCaQ

lantern2015.jpg

11334109_656795434451496_3521390392230482396_o.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Nice stuff. I'm impressed everything seems to have remained the same for all those years, I find this similar to visiting a house in Pompeii.

ShawAngela

Too bad they left all these things in such a bad estate...

Could it be Fu Sheng on the last picture ?

Thanks for posting this. I noticed these boxes say Proud Twins:

11267541_648805705250469_108713715229079051_o.jpg

Wonder what this is/was?

11255758_648806315250408_1210518249386916259_o.jpg

Those are the cut bits from Weird Man and Avenging Eagle and the other version of Chinatown Kid.

odioustrident

This is fucking nuts and borderline unbelievable. If the mask and those reels are there then there must be a lot more.

Zhang Liao

Thanks for sharing.

But I don`t know: It is both interesting and sad at the same time.

FrankBolte

so they all just left in hurry ? Literally dropped everything and left? At least so it looks..kinda weird....

so they all just left in hurry ? Literally dropped everything and left? At least so it looks..kinda weird....

Exactly. As I was telling another forum member, its as if someone yelled "fire" or "zombies" and they just ran the hell out of there and never came back.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

If you guys are anything like me, after watching that video you had a lot of questions. Well, hopefully I can help with that. I conducted an interview with the HK URBEX team, and got some very interesting answers. Check it out here: http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz126/KUNGFUBOB/HKURBEX-IG_zpsgg8s51nt.png' alt='HKURBEX-IG_zpsgg8s51nt.png'>

Cloud Hands

Maybe the next Fallout game should be set in Shaw Studios. I find urban exploration quite interesting, abandoned buildings left to nature somehow capture the transience of life.

That shot of a decaying and abandoned shrine at Fu Shengs dressing room is really something..

David Rees

Great interview Bob.

Such a sad sight to see all that stuff just left to rot, who know what hidden gems some archivist could find if allowed to explore.

Awesome interview Bob. I renamed the thread. Now, let's see that extended 2 hour cut!! :wink:

DragonClaws

The picture of Fu Sheng's shrine in his dressing room is very eerie. Think of all the lovely stuff that's just rotted there. Thanks for sharing these images here on the forums.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

So sad but still the remains of what was the glory days of:

gXsGM64.jpg

filepicker%2FV1wdIfTBQkmMAmrEX3un_shaw_brothers.jpg

Shaw_Brothers_Logo.jpg

ShawBrothersHongKongLtd-1-b.jpg

Those were the days my friend

We thought they'd never end

We'd sing and dance forever and a day

We'd live the life we choose

We'd fight and never lose

For we were young and sure to have our way.

La la la la.

GD Y-Y

Eastern Evil
Exactly. As I was telling another forum member, its as if someone yelled "fire" or "zombies" and they just ran the hell out of there and never came back.

Most likely it was Zombies :smile2:

So sad to see Movietown look so trashed...I hope those reels can be saved....who knows what delicate wonders have been lost without the will to survive?

I remember when Made In Hong Kong video label bought the rights to 8 Shaw Brother movies in the early 90s.Eastern Heroes Magazine previewed these forthcoming releases and if I remember correctly it was forum member popsjnr who wrote the articles.The releases were eagerly awaited and when the first title came out I think it was The Five Venoms aka The Five Deadly Venoms,I went to pick up my copy from Rick Baker at the Camden Town shop because he used to give me a discount from the official high street main outlet prices.

Anyway I saw some beautiful posters at the shop and promised to return for them.I came back a few days later for the purchase and he said sorry mate a guy from Nigeria who owns a cinema just came and scooped up the whole lot. I said well thats OK just order some more from Hong Kong.He said what? you must be joking.Hong Kong does not care about old film memorabilia once these are gone I doubt if you will ever see them again unless from collectors.That statement left a bitter taste.How sad.

I just don't understand why? Maybe the majority of the stars might not have been aware of their own worldwide fan base and popularity of Shaw movies but the Shaw Executives certainly did and they owe it to the world to preserve everything to do with Shaw Studios.I remember saying to Rick.."well why doesn't interested people buy up the library of films for release ala MIHK" ( the best at the time ) instead of doing it piecemeal?... he retorted.."oh boy that would cost a shit load of money"

Listen! in my country of origin there was a middle aged man and many other people I knew who only watched martial art/ Kung fu films.If they were not sure whether they wanted to see a particular movie they would say to their friends.....I don't feel like it today however just look at the poster keenly and if you see "SB" anywhere on it,we'll be there.It didn't matter what genre,or who was in it, just being an SB flick was enough.That was just a teeny weeny bit of worldwide loyalty to the Shaw Brothers movie-making legacy.

This is history.Someone please help preserve most of it.

Thanks for making part of your trip to Hong Kong a point of duty to highlight the current state of a magnificent pool of talent, film production has ever known.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thank you for posting the link Teako and I've got to go read that interview with this team (Thanks to Kung Fu Bob.)

Sad to see the decay of the old Shaw Studios. I hope some preservation is eventually done.

And yet, somehow, the Human Lanterns mask looks right in that state. Chun Fang is still there haunting the halls.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I am forwarding the intense interest in seeing the rest of the footage to the group, and will do anything I can from my end to help it see the light of day. :nerd:

I wonder if shaw magic carpet is still somewhere in studio and in what condition.

:nerd:

Somewhere in the props department, maybe? :smile:

Archived