Aquaman (2018) - Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson

AlbertV

I've had little to zero interest in this movie and aquaman in general but I like Momoa. And after a lot of positive first reviews I might give this a chance on the big screen.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
18 hours ago, Karlos said:

Just saw this and honestly I loved every second of this.

Big, silly,  emotional, funny, exciting, moving - go see it on the biggest screen you can, you geeks 😀

Can't wait to see this! Does it spank Black Panther?

• Like 2

Delivered just about everything I could have wanted or expected from it. Worth the watch, and can only imagine how much better it'll look in 4k.

Momoa doesnt really scream aquaman, but I dont mind this. The humor and "badass-ness" of Mamoas Aquaman is overplayed. While a bit annoying, it doesnt get in the way of the story. Besides, you probably have your take on him as aquaman if youve seen justice league.

And I agree with Karlos, takes some of the best aspects of Thor and Panther together and more!

• Like 2

Fantastic movie!!! Watch everyone that hated Aquaman before this movie came out love the character. They did a wonderful job. Strange how Randall Park is in there right after he filmed Ant-Man and the Wasp. 

I personally loved every second in the movie. I can't believe they brought back the original armor from the comics. I'm yet to see when he winds up cutting off his hand and trading it for an enchanted hook. I like the fact that they had Black Manta and left the ending ready for a sequel.

A funny thing that happened after I watched this film was hearing two elderly guys complaining about how there was too much CGI at the ending. Couldn't help but wonder what other alternatives would've worked in place of what they did for the underwater scenes. Oh yeah, I see Greta Van Fleet's Safari Song made it into the mix. 

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Got to see this today! I was stoked, and at the end of the movie, I was not disappointed by any means.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:44 AM, Karlos said:

...there are some clear similarities to both the first Thor film and Black Panther.

Honestly, I thought Aquaman had them both beat!

That is pretty spot on. As much as I really dig the 1st Thor film, it was a little light on the action, especially the finale. And I just had problems with a lot of the action portrayal in Black Panther. I think a lot of my ambivalence for this movie is that it was over-hyped. However, I admit I do need to watch it again because I've always really liked that character.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:24 PM, Ah_Tao said:

Watch everyone that hated Aquaman before this movie came out love the character.

Not gonna lie; wasn't be biggest Aquaman fan as a kid in the 60's-70's because he was just lame. The Superfriends cartoon did not help. The Justice League cartoon, however, really made good use of the character and gave him some much needed oomph!  When I found out Momoa was playing him in the JL film, I had mixed feelings. I'm a fan of Momoa's work and talent, but I really didn't see him as Aquaman. He seemed fitted for a better DC character, like Lobo. After seeing him in the JL movie, I was sold. He was one of the best things about that film. 

Granted there was some cheesiness, but I found it to be minimal. This film did so many things right. Strong back story; amazing f/x (not saying there were't any faults, but that's some of the best CGI I've seen); decent chemistry between Momoa and Heard; just a fantastic depiction of Atlantis and its architecture, and the many different sea creatures was phenomenal; the depiction of Aquaman's telepathic power as sonar rings was a great homage to the early cartoons; an actual attempt to adhere to comic costume design without overt bulkiness; Mera was not the typical sideline pushover female character, but an impressive combatant in her own right; and some of the most amazing action sequences. I absolutely loved the staff fights with the tridents. Momoa really portrays the character as an extension of himself and has fun with it, which is why I enjoyed him so much in his turn as Conan. (Maybe he can get that character revived now.)

Yeah. I'm wanting to see this again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Got to see this today! I was stoked, and at the end of the movie, I was not disappointed by any means.

That is pretty spot on. As much as I really dig the 1st Thor film, it was a little light on the action, especially the finale. And I just had problems with a lot of the action portrayal in Black Panther. I think a lot of my ambivalence for this movie is that it was over-hyped. However, I admit I do need to watch it again because I've always really liked that character.

Not gonna lie; wasn't be biggest Aquaman fan as a kid in the 60's-70's because he was just lame. The Superfriends cartoon did not help. The Justice League cartoon, however, really made good use of the character and gave him some much needed oomph!  When I found out Momoa was playing him in the JL film, I had mixed feelings. I'm a fan of Momoa's work and talent, but I really didn't see him as Aquaman. He seemed fitted for a better DC character, like Lobo. After seeing him in the JL movie, I was sold. He was one of the best things about that film. 

Granted there was some cheesiness, but I found it to be minimal. This film did so many things right. Strong back story; amazing f/x (not saying there were't any faults, but that's some of the best CGI I've seen); decent chemistry between Momoa and Heard; just a fantastic depiction of Atlantis and its architecture, and the many different sea creatures was phenomenal; the depiction of Aquaman's telepathic power as sonar rings was a great homage to the early cartoons; an actual attempt to adhere to comic costume design without overt bulkiness; Mera was not the typical sideline pushover female character, but an impressive combatant in her own right; and some of the most amazing action sequences. I absolutely loved the staff fights with the tridents. Momoa really portrays the character as an extension of himself and has fun with it, which is why I enjoyed him so much in his turn as Conan. (Maybe he can get that character revived now.)

Yeah. I'm wanting to see this again.

Yeah the Justice League cartoon was fire when I was growing up (I'm young as you could tell). I loved the whole story where Aquaman was ready to wage war on the land and having to sacrifice his hand. I could only imagine what they're going to do next when he gets his hook. It looks like that they are going by the New 52 storyline loosely however, so things will be different from the Bronze Age. I loved how James Wan put his final touch of horror in there, and it really made things segue very well. I'm glad people are starting to recognize the Justice League for what it is.

Psst, if they need someone to write a Batman storyline, they got a die-hard fan here lmfao. It has officially been over two years since Matt Reeves has been casted as the director for the project and it's still in development hell.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

The only flaw with Aquaman is the attempts at comedy. None of it hits. Other that that, I loved it. If you'd have asked a ten year old me to come up with a film, I would have come up with this. Laser eyes! Giant seahorses! Trident fights! Water magic! It's all here. I felt giddy watching it. Like a big kid.

I also felt like the CGI fights were some of the best I've seen. I HATE Black Panther's CGI fights at the end and I felt Aquaman did a great job of capturing some sense of realism. It wasn't off-putting at all. Great stuff. Would definitely watch this again (and again?).

• Like 2

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=24610 - Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release Aquaman on 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray on March 26, 2019.

SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:

• DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • ENGLISH DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • Going Deep Into the World of Aquaman
  • Becoming Aquaman
  • James Wan: World Builder
  • Aqua Tech
  • Atlantis Warfare
  • The Dark Depths of Black Manta
  • Heroines of Atlantis
  • Villaneous Training
  • Kingdoms of the Seven Seas
  • Creating Undersea Creatures
  • A Match Made in Atlantis
  • Scene Study Breakdowns
  • Exclusive Sneak Peek of Shazam!
  • Optional English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Brazilian Portuguese subtitles

• Like 3

More Aquaman movies, or Aquaman-universe movies are in the works. 

Warner Bros. has hired David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick to write a sequel to the Aquaman movie.  He co-wrote the screenplay for the first Aquaman.  From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-sequel-finally-works-adds-writer-1185626 

"Heat Vision broke the news that Warner Bros. has hired screenwriters Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald to pen The Trench, a film based on those menacing sharp-toothed sea-creatures that Aquaman and Mera fought on their way down the center of the Earth.  The creatures are relatively new additions to the DC mythos, having first debuted in 2011's Aquaman No. 1 by Jeoff Johns and Ivan Reis, but they certainly made their impact in Aquaman in a sequence that, if not the highpoint of the film, certainly took the collective breath away from theater audiences."  From  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/trench-is-aquaman-getting-a-cinematic-universe-1185426

• Like 1

Fake Aquaman 2 trailer gimmick to promote the stupid looking Shazam movie. 

Tags: misleading sequels, april fools

0044AA82-3736-4001-87A3-4D9A549BB312.jpeg

F42CE886-64F8-4E81-90B4-AEEE28C13ACD.jpeg

• Like 2

DragonClaws

Sat down and watched this with my girlfriend, as part of our Easter weekend entertainment. Wrote down some quick thoughts on this one here.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not a big fan of Aquaman in the comics, but this was a damn good movie. Jason Momoa actually made Aquaman an interesting character and the movie worth watching. 

• Like 2