Minna! Esper da yo! (Sion Sono, 2015)

Takuma

Teaser:

_nEE9_qmvRE

I wrote a bit about the movie before in another thread:

Minna! Esper da yo! in September. Sono directed (6 out of the 12 episodes for) a TV show of the same title a few years ago, but I haven't seen it.

Website (pretty empty so far):

http://esper-movie.gaga.ne.jp/

Here's an ad for the TV show:

caWboJs5Nzg

Wow, that's rather Love Exposure esque.

Both the movie and the TV show star Shota Sometani.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minna! Esper da yo! (The Virgin Psychics)

Well, this features more panty shots than Love Exposure and Tag combined. Those poor souls who were offended by Tag will pretty much a have a seizure. A bad one! I'm not sure if I can blame them, though... if this movie was made by a western studio, we'd be sent straight back to the middle age with people lynching all the filmmakers on the street.

I think that's pretty awesome, although I feel sorry that no one is making such glorious stupid entertainment for women. I'm all for exploiting everyone, bring on the muscle guys in small pants. Well, maybe girls are too intelligent to get their kicks from that.

As for plot summary, let me just quote Anime Networks
The psychic comedy follows an ordinary (virgin) high school boy named Yoshirō "Yocchan" Kamogawa (Sometani). His life changes overnight when he wakes up with the ability to read other people's minds. Yoshirō is not the only one to gain powers in his town. Terumitsu Nagano (played by Mikata Sports), an (apparently virgin) worker at a café near Yoshirō's school, gains telekinesis — but he uses it for sex toys. Yōsuke Enomoto (played by Motoki Fukami), a (probably virgin) senior and former basketball player at Yoshirō's high school, gains teleportation — but only while naked.
- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-26/elaiza-ikeda-stars-as-heroine-in-all-esper-dayo-live-action-film/.87537

So, the film. There's truckloads of hot girls, with every single one of them, I mean every single one of them, serving tons of cleavage and usually panty shots too. The trailer won't prepare you for it because they didn't dare to put 99% of that stuff into it. It's very understandable the film's hero suffers from erection problems throughout (not that he can't get it up... it's up way too often). It's quite funny for the first hour at least; the kind of stuff that's been done a lot in semi-naughty anime, especially in all the harem comedies, but I don't think anyone has done it in a live action film (except for a few straight to video flicks) with a decent budget before.

The film's main problem, aside from being incredibly silly, is that it outstays its welcome. It just seems to go on forever without a very good climax. It's still not a bad movie, and this is far better than Shinjuku Swan, but it's hardly a great one either. It would work much better 30 minutes shorter. But it's quite ok fun like this as well.

I haven't seen the original TV series, so I don't know how it compares.

minna1.jpg

minna2.jpg

minna3.jpg

Archived