News of a Remake of "Big Trouble In Little China". Why a Remake, and not a Sequel?

wackiechan

wackiechan

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-cast-1201509737/

Here's a photo I took from the "Big Trouble In Little China" reunion, which took place at L.A.'s Japanese American Natl Museum in April 2015.

Did you know that during that reunion, it almost looked like there was going to be a SEQUEL. That's because during the Q & A, after the screening, actors George Cheung, Gerald Okamura, James Hong, etc. started to get up from their seats and almost had another fight scene, just like in "Big Trouble ILC"!

Of course, they were just kidding around. That looked fun and exciting though, and I had a great time at the screening and Q & A.

Do you know how I could've posted this photo directly onto the forum, instead posting a file attachment?

post-83-144191906364_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your pic is a BMP file which is not a valid file for use as an attachment on this forum.

I remove the zip file you attached and posted the pic for you.

You need to change the file extension.

Just open the pic on your computer and re-save it; when you see "Save type as" change it from BMP to JPG and then you post it directly to the forum. That would like like the pic in you post and when someone click on it - it enlarges.

Or

You can save the pic on a photo sharing site and then copy the link and click "insert image" in your post and enter the URL. That would look like the pic in my signature.

You can go back and edit you post to the style of pic you like. If you need further assistance we would gladly assist.

Dwayne Johnson has revealed that he is going to attempt to get John Carpenter involved with the remake. He said to Entertainment Weekly:

"I loved reading the reactions from the fans, that they were so polarized - I'm the same way. My response is: know that I come to the project with nothing but love and respect for the original, which is why we want to bring on John Carpenter."

The script is currently being developed by THOR and X-MEN: FIRST CLASS scripters Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz.

I'm not sure about this. That said, the prospect of Johnson being in a Carpenter directed film is enticing, imagine a fight scene to the level of the 'They Live' one.

Secret Executioner

John Carpenter involved in a MA/action film ? Sounds interesting.

(we're talking of the John Carpenter who made the likes of Halloween and Fog, right ?)

John Carpenter involved in a MA/action film ? Sounds interesting.

(we're talking of the John Carpenter who made the likes of Halloween and Fog, right ?)

Yes, Carpenter directed the original Big Trouble in Little China. :) He even sang the film's theme song with his band, the Coupe De Villes (with Nick Castle (who originated the role of Michael Myers in Halloween) and another horror filmmaker and longtime friend, Tommy Lee Wallace)

D03E9kUTTtQ

F*ck Hollywood! I am so tired of these BS remakes. A sequel is ok as long as some heart is put into it. But, what are they going to do with this? Just because the special effect have improved does not mean that the movie will be better. Are there not thousands of shitty movies that deserve a remake? Why always try to remake a cult classic?

I think that they would have to change the film characters because mainstream audience would not want to watch a Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson movie with him in a non-fighting role in a fighting movie. Though, it might be funny for a few scenes, the audience would probably say it sucked. I mean, Kurt Russell was not an action guy though he did a few roles as an action star. So, it worked. It made sense that Carpenter wrote it with him in mind. But, I think that the tone of the movie would have to change for today`s audiences.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Big Trouble is one of the most unique films that blends fantasy/Wuxia/Black Comedy/Western so well. I believe that being from that era made it that much special. John Carpenter will never do a remake of this, ever. The cast was just outstanding, just perfect for each other. Boycott this remake!

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I love the original film. Lo Pan was my favorite villain of all time for the past 20+ years until I stumbled into here. I have no problems with a remake, IF they do the following:

Keep the Chinese mythology and magical elements intact

Keep Jack Burton as the sidekick and find a suitable Wang Chi

Find someone else who could play Lo Pan. Lo Pan is the trickiest element, (you could have James Hong play the elder Lo Pan again and/or Egg Shen. Why not?)

Bump up the FX to where they look magical and keep the mythology.

Frankly as Carpenter couldn't give a flying fig newton about any of his properties anymore, I do not care either. I will always have the original films and the experience of interviewing Mr. Hong who is just an absolute gem of a man.

I think Dwayne will be fine as Jack Burton, he can make fun of himself (as Kurt did) and knows how to give the spotlight to others. He wants Carpenter's output which is admirable too. I get it 100%. The Escape from New York remake really pissed me off to no end for a few years until I realized nothing they do will ever tarnish the original for me. Same here.

Yesterday, Dwayne Johnson's business partner (and ex-brother in law) Hiram Garcia announced that the new Big Trouble in Little China will actually be a sequel not a remake. They are looking to go the Jumanji route it looks like, a new story within the same universe.

http://collider.com/dwayne-johnson-big-trouble-in-little-china-sequel/

“There’s a lot of things going on with [Big Trouble in Little China]. We are in the process of developing that, and let me tell you, the idea is not to actually remake Big Trouble in Little China. You can’t remake a classic like that, so what we’re planning to do is we’re going to continue the story. We’re going to continue the universe of Big Trouble in Little China. Everything that happened in the original exists and is standalone and I think there’s only one person that could ever play Jack Burton, so Dwayne would never try and play that character. So we are just having a lot of fun. We’re actually in a really great space with the story that we’ve cracked. But yeah, no remake. It is a continuation, and we are deep into development on that as well, and I think you’ll start hearing some things about that probably soon.”

Archived