Japan cuts 2015

Superfly

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a remarkably unremarkable line up.

Makeup Room (I wrote about it here) is quite a lot of fun, though. The Light Shines Only There and 100 Yen Love are supposed to be pretty good, too, but I missed both in cinemas. This Country's Sky looks interesting. Haruhiko Arai has been one of the best screenwriters in Japan since the 1970s and Fumi Nikaido is always good.

Seven Weeks, The Voice of Water, And the Mudship Sails Away have all receives some favourable reviews but none of them looked that interesting to me so I haven't watched them.

Cruel Story of Youth 4K restoration played here too but I skipped it. Give me 35mm instead! Frankly, I don't understand why people are getting excited about something technically inferior like 4K...

Fuuny about the unremarkable comment.

I myself felt this may have been the weakest line-up since I've been attending. I thought also Forget Me Not & I Alone. Were possibles. The thing you hate is to pick one and it turns out bad. I got lucky last year with The Snow White Murder Case.

Noelle Shadow Kick

I'll need to look into the films a bit more, but I definitely saw more at JapanCUTS the last two years than I'll probably end up seeing this year it seems.

I'm totally going to Neko Samurai 2, the first one was super fun!

I'll be looking closer into it over the next week and keep you posted :nerd:

I'll need to look into the films a bit more, but I definitely saw more at JapanCUTS the last two years than I'll probably end up seeing this year it seems.

I'm totally going to Neko Samurai 2, the first one was super fun!

I'll be looking closer into it over the next week and keep you posted :nerd:

If you go to see Neko 2 I will also. :smile:

ok, forget about Japan cuts, NYAFF has an excellent line up of Japanese films.

- http://www.subwaycinema.com/

Miss it and you'll regret forever

The Man Who Stole the Sun (1979) (35mm)

Cops vs. Thugs (1975) (35mm)

Wolves, Pigs and Men (1964) (35mm) *

Miss it and you'll regret it a pretty long time

Abashiri Prison (1965) (35mm)

Nihon Kyokaku den (1964) (35mm) *

Battles without Honor and Humanity (DCP)

Recommended New Films

Kabukicho Love Hotel (DCP)

Tokyo Tribe (DCP)

Also quite ok:

La La La at Rock Bottom (DCP)

Haven't seen but look interesting:

Ruined Heart (DCP)

It's great that they have the classics, except for Battles, on 35mm instead of DCP crap!

* I haven't seen these two but I feel confident to make the statements based on their reputation, cast, crew and other factors.

Here's the original trailer for Kazuhiko Hasegawa's legendary action thriller / satire The Man who Stole the Sun, which is about a high school teacher who builds his own nuclear bomb to blackmail the Japanese government.

xLWDtxGhyCA

Archived