SB movies personal weapon of choice

Kwok Choi

What if you wake up one morning,you look outside,you find out that your world has been transformed into the beginning of the The Warring States period which is also similar to The Three Kingdoms era extending to the Ming Dynasty.Modernity with all its mod-cons has simply vanished.You now have to chose 3 weapons from SB movies befitting your natural talent (or even from non-Shaw movies you might have seen but are not aware these weapons have been featured in Shaw Films) for your survival in general.Just as some of you swear by your glocks, M1911s, ARs and AKs etc what will now be your weapons of choice.

As a commoner the 3 weapons you chose will mainly have to be for home and road security.You can carry 1 or any 2 weapons at a time given the situation and can make use of all 3 of them when protecting the home.Which weapons would be your favourite?

Personally I'll chose the Broad Sword/Sabre, the Short Spear (between 4 ft to 5 ft length max including spearhead) plus a Bow & Arrow. These choices stem from my very limited mastery of cold weapons but with a natural reflex,wrist flexibility,overall agility and average upper body strength.Having these characteristics,I'll feel a bit confident using these weapons in any given situation.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cloud Hands

My favourite weapon is Japanese katana. But assuming this is not allowed and given the vast pantheon of Shaw weaponry I am generally drawn to the polearm type weapons. I would probably use wooden staff as main choice - doubles as a walking stick for a traveller, handy for getting past those troublesome Manchu patrols while appearing unassuming. Halberd as used by Lu Feng in Magnificent Ruffians or Trident (Masked Avengers, nuff said) also good choices to keep in the home. I'm quite fond of the standard Chinese spear with red tassel too.

An honourable mention must be made to those outlandish bubble maces you sometimes see in shaw films. I remember one film with some giant exemplars wielded by a lacky, anyone remember what it's called?

My favourite weapon is Japanese katana. But assuming this is not allowed and given the vast pantheon of Shaw weaponry I am generally drawn to the polearm type weapons. I would probably use wooden staff as main choice - doubles as a walking stick for a traveller, handy for getting past those troublesome Manchu patrols while appearing unassuming. Halberd as used by Lu Feng in Magnificent Ruffians or Trident (Masked Avengers, nuff said) also good choices to keep in the home. I'm quite fond of the standard Chinese spear with red tassel too.

An honourable mention must be made to those outlandish bubble maces you sometimes see in shaw films. I remember one film with some giant exemplars wielded by a lacky, anyone remember what it's called?

Nice! :wink: The Katana is allowed as it has been used in many Shaw Brother movies but It would not be my weapon of choice because it will be awkward for me using 2 hands with the main aim of striking or slashing to the head,upper body or abdomen.A full tang Wakizhashi would fit me better ( I normally use one hand) but it will be too short for general combat situations.If I had to trade the sabre I would opt for a shorter version of the Chinese Tang Dao Sword this would give me better confidence against an opponent with a Katana.

Yeah it was a tough choice for me also choosing between the Wooden Staff / Pole and the shorter Zhang spear (the flexible hardwood spear with the tassel) but I said to myself..you know what,if those troublesome Manchu patrols chase me to my home premises endangering my loved ones,the spear would give me a bit of an advantage.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I would use two short spears.

600314.png

Accompanied with metal ring weapons.

aa9.jpg

gobind10.jpg

Here is a collection of Guru Gobind Singh weapons.

GGShastra2.jpg

ggsweapons.jpg

IMG_8041.JPG

WWshasters.JPG

dah-i-aineegurugobind.jpg

Every arrow of Guru Gobind Singh Ji was mounted with half an ounce of gold. Its object was to alleviate the suffering of the victim. Should the person aimed at be wounded then he could sell the gold for medicine. Should the mark prove fatal, then the gold could be used to aid the deceased family. Two specimens of these arrows are preserved.

GuruArrow.jpg

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner
but I said to myself..you know what,if those troublesome Manchu patrols chase me to my home premises endangering my loved ones,the spear would give me a bit of an advantage.

I'd have thought booby-trapping the hell out of one's home would be the first logical thing to do. That, and have a secret passage behind a shelf or a wall leading to an escape tunnel that ends in a small house in the country, preferrably surrounded with bamboo that will trap any person trying to get in because it was made intelligent and sensitive by some kind of magic. :tongue:

(I guess though that this would work if we're in a Chu Yuan movie, but not in a Chang Cheh film or in a Liu Chia Liang film)

As far as weapons go, I'd go with three-section staff and a flying guillotine, though I'm not sure how good I'd be at these - but still, I could probably go and learn the three-section staff at Shaolin with Monk San Te. :nerd:

I'd have thought booby-trapping the hell out of one's home would be the first logical thing to do. That, and have a secret passage behind a shelf or a wall leading to an escape tunnel that ends in a small house in the country, preferrably surrounded with bamboo that will trap any person trying to get in because it was made intelligent and sensitive by some kind of magic. :tongue:

(I guess though that this would work if we're in a Chu Yuan movie, but not in a Chang Cheh film or in a Liu Chia Liang film)

As far as weapons go, I'd go with three-section staff and a flying guillotine, though I'm not sure how good I'd be at these - but still, I could probably go and learn the three-section staff at Shaolin with Monk San Te. :nerd:

You will be surprised but as I would actually like to retire in my country of origin where unpredictable riots can occur at any moment,I was honestly thinking of that secret passage but intended to do it via a well in the courtyard linked to the passage behind a wall leading to the secret tunnel but the passage would eventually lead to a garage with a brand new 4x4 full of all kinds of provisions for a daring getaway and protection on the way.

The 3 Section Staff is a sound choice but for me it would have to be modified in such a way that it can double as a staff; and as a commoner,I would have to master it for dependance as a weapon of choice.Earning my daily bread plus time for family life would not give me that opportunity.The Flying Guillotine might be a myth and even if it existed Chen Kuan Tai exposed its Achilles Heel and besides that it was a secret elite Manchu assassins weapon way way way I think out of reach for a commoner like me.

Secret Executioner

What's your country of origin ? Bolivia ? (a country where a ton of overthrowings have occured in the 20th Century, like 150 or so...)

The Flying Guillotine might be a myth and even if it existed Chen Kuan Tai exposed its Achilles Heel and besides that it was a secret elite Manchu assassins weapon way way way I think out of reach for a commoner like me.

No weapon is perfect - and we supposed we'd end up in a Shaw Bros, but no rules were mentionned. Hell, what tells you some people wouldn't end up working for the Manchus ?

And no weapon is perfect, you can dodge, block and/or damage any of the possible weapons. :xd:

paimeifist

I'll base my choice off of my boxing style.. My best assets are aggression, speed, and head movement.. So I'll go with the ringed sabre. I think it's awesome looking, and feel I could handle it better than other weapons because it seems to fit both my demeanor and physical attributes.

Sweet thread, lol.

ShawAngela

Tiger hooks and/or 3 section staff or woodden pole, and short daggers hidden in my boots...

What's your country of origin ? Bolivia ? (a country where a ton of overthrowings have occured in the 20th Century, like 150 or so...)

No weapon is perfect - and we supposed we'd end up in a Shaw Bros, but no rules were mentionned. Hell, what tells you some people wouldn't end up working for the Manchus ?

And no weapon is perfect, you can dodge, block and/or damage any of the possible weapons. :xd:

Bolivia ? no! with respect to the Bolivians I think my region has been a lot worse than that. If one heads to the northern tip of Guyana then travels due East across the Atlantic they might get there and I intend to have that secret passage via the well.I have the land,my daughter studied Architecture so we are working on it.

No weapon is perfect indeed it all depends on the skills of the user but as we are all supposed to be average commoners with basic talent living in this time frame.My weapon of choice featured in SB movies would be a lot more practical based on my limitations for example as much as I honour the Katana,I am very clumsy wielding a sword with two hands.My opponent would see that as a weakness so he/she will gain confidence boosting their self esteem.This can be crucial in a life and death situation.

Yes there was Ma Fu Yi,Wei Fung,General Chen Yen Yao,Ba Kang,Yu Pi and many others working for the Manchu but they did not live long.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

While my kicks and elbows have been effective in actual fights, I am not yet versed in martial skills.

So going through what I've seen in the Shaw Brothers catalog, I'm thinking practical as well as clandestine.

A wooden staff certainly makes sense and allows the carrier to blend in. This can be used for close and longer range attacks / protection. If it's broken I can also use it to impale the enemy.

My remaining two can be seen as ornamentation:

The pony tail of death as masterfully wielded by Lu Feng in Shaolin Rescuers. Wielded like a whip. The element of surprise is there.

Finally, a modified tweak on Lu's Butterfly darts from House of Traps.

Thinking practically and my current level of physicality, I like that two of these look like ornamentation and all three can be used on my travels.

The staff and darts could be used to protect and / or booby trap the home.

Eastern Evil

I want the weapon that looks like 2 hands - each on a short pole holding what looks like sharp pencils.

I'll post a picture when I come across them again :smile2:

Eastern Evil
I want the weapon that looks like 2 hands - each on a short pole holding what looks like sharp pencils.

Found them :cool:

post-13257-144191906372_thumb.jpg

Eastern Evil
Nice one, Eastern Evil. What movie are these in ?

Thanks. :smile2: I found it in Finger of Doom but I've also seen it in other movies. Can't remember which though. They just pop up from time to time.

Is it Fan Mei Sheng when he was younger and without a beard ?

I don't think it is. The actor wasn't someone I recognize although for a minute I thought it might be Lau Kar Wing.

Looking at the credits, this would be my guess :wink2:

http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=8020

Tiger hooks and/or 3 section staff or woodden pole, and short daggers hidden in my boots...

ShawAngela: The Tiger Hooks/Twin Hooks Swords are an awesome piece of work, added to a 3 section staff/wood pole plus short twin daggers? hidden in your boots?.

My dear you are one deadly cat I would definitely not want to cross paths with.

I'll base my choice off of my boxing style.. My best assets are aggression, speed, and head movement.. So I'll go with the ringed sabre. I think it's awesome looking, and feel I could handle it better than other weapons because it seems to fit both my demeanor and physical attributes.

Sweet thread, lol.

Paimeifist, based on your boxing style,assets demeanour and physical attributes I presume you might be as confident as the kid with the golden arms.Fair enough,respect.With your main weapon being the ringed sabre, oozing super confidence as you are entering a town heading for the tavern, will be a fearsome sight and a force to be reckoned with.

While my kicks and elbows have been effective in actual fights, I am not yet versed in martial skills.

So going through what I've seen in the Shaw Brothers catalog, I'm thinking practical as well as clandestine.

A wooden staff certainly makes sense and allows the carrier to blend in. This can be used for close and longer range attacks / protection. If it's broken I can also use it to impale the enemy.

My remaining two can be seen as ornamentation:

The pony tail of death as masterfully wielded by Lu Feng in Shaolin Rescuers. Wielded like a whip. The element of surprise is there.

Finally, a modified tweak on Lu's Butterfly darts from House of Traps.

Thinking practically and my current level of physicality, I like that two of these look like ornamentation and all three can be used on my travels.

The staff and darts could be used to protect and / or booby trap the home.

Lady Bufa if it is correct for me to assume that both yourself and ShawAngela are ladies then you have proved why the female species are natural survivors and can honestly be more deadlier than the male (this is a compliment :bigsmile:) take note guys!!!!!

HMMM.....Eastern Evil....... food for thought....and your other two weapons if you please sir? Out of curiosity will you be interested in 1st Prince Wang Hsieh's weapon in The 14 Amazons?

I am struggling at the moment to remember this SB movie off head but if the penny drops I'll post later though the only film that comes to mind at present is the non Shaw movie Fierce Fist where Shan Mao wields a gigantic mace with the added shooting chain and it seemed like the handle and tip of the giant mace are based on the sabre.

PantherFist

Are you guys referring to this unwieldy beast of a mace, such as the one that was in Shaolin Rescuers (Avenging Warriors of Shaolin)? Sorry the first pic is so blurry. In the second one, you can see it just to the left. Heck, the sound that it made alone would have made me surrender.

4pv5lv.jpg

2ptp5kz.jpg

As for a weapon, I'm going to go with Golden Arms. As the man said, they always stay with me. :wink:

Are you guys referring to this unwieldy beast of a mace, such as the one that was in Shaolin Rescuers (Avenging Warriors of Shaolin)? Sorry the first pic is so blurry. In the second one, you can see it just to the left. Heck, the sound that it made alone would have made me surrender.

4pv5lv.jpg

2ptp5kz.jpg

As for a weapon, I'm going to go with Golden Arms. As the man said, they always stay with me. :wink:

Cloud Hands could this be the one you are referring to in PantherFist's pics? otherwise I'll have to suggest The Water Margin and All Men Are Brothers though I'll lean more towards The Water Margin.

Well...ladies are constantly in danger, so, they have to be as prudent and fierce as they can if they want to survive...I had also thought of a whip and an axe...:wink:

Eastern Evil
Well...ladies are constantly in danger, so, they have to be as prudent and fierce as they can if they want to survive...I had also thought of a whip and an axe...:wink:

Of all the weapons I ever saw a woman use in a Shaw movie, I'd want the bone shooting green lasers (Battle Wizard) :biggrin:

There's a few others but I'd have to think about it.

Glad you liked that previous link, Angela :smile2:

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lady Bufa if it is correct for me to assume that both yourself and ShawAngela are ladies then you have proved why the female species are natural survivors and can honestly be more deadlier than the male (this is a compliment :bigsmile:) take note guys!!!!!

Kwok Choi sir, you are correct I am a woman (had I waited a few days I probably would have chosen Killer Goddess as my handle here.) I admit I was thinking of my actual commute as well as hidden weapons when I selected my choices.

And my hair weapon should have said braid, ah well... such is.

As ShawAngela astutely said, in the Shaw world, women are constantly in danger so it pays to be prepared.

As much as I love halberds, I think that would be a bit much at the moment. :wink:

Also, I enjoy threads like this. Makes me think about the characters and films more and I always enjoy doing that.

With Tien Peng and Shan Kuan Ling Feng in it, you can't be wrong when you think that it must be a good movie...

Secret Executioner
I was watching what looks to be a real good movie - 'The Ghost Hill' - and it had the pencil weapons in it! These are even better, as the pencil tips shoot off like bullets :cool: As soon as I watched 4 minutes of this, I wanted to see the rest - looks to be real good - nice beach scene to start the movie :smile2:

Sounds nice. :cool:

Archived