Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

Donnie Yen Promises “Ip Man 3” Will Surpass First Two Movies

When appearing at a promotional event in Beijing, Donnie Yen (甄子丹) spoke up about the highly anticipated action film, Ip Man 3 <葉問3>, the final movie in the Ip Man film series. He promised fans that Ip Man 3, which he is currently filming in Shanghai, would be even better than the first two installments.

Ip Man 3 will mainly focus on two storylines: Ip Man’s friendship with martial artist Bruce Lee (李小龍), considered his most famous disciple, and Ip Man’s rivalry with an American boxer, who is portrayed by heavyweight boxing world champion Mike Tyson. At the event, Donnie praised Tyson, whom he considers one of his idols, for being very nice, despite his intimidating outer appearance.

Donnie also talked about the current difficulty in filming action flicks. “These days, you really have to go for broke when filming a quality action movie,” he mused. “I’m not saying don’t pay attention to safety, but I feel the highest level of art requires a spirit of taking risks. Not to mention, the standard for filmmaking is now getting higher and higher.”

When asked which of his films has been the most difficult, Donnie replied that every single one is challenging because he puts an all-out effort into each one. “I hope to improve in every single one of my movies,” he said. “Although I may not achieve that, the filming process for each one has been unforgettable.”

Donnie also recognized that, despite the hardships that come with his job, he is extraordinarily lucky to be able to share his thoughts with other people and positively influence them through movies. “I hope that in the time I have on this earth, I can film even more things with a positive energy,” he said.

After filming for Ip Man 3 wraps up, Donnie plans to take a summer break in order to spend more time with his children. Following that, he will be back to work on another movie.

http://www.jaynestars.com/news/donnie-yen-promises-ip-man-3-will-surpass-first-two-movies/

Hi Guys

I do some writing for Ring Magazine and was looking to pen something on Donnie Yen working with Mike Tyson for Ip Man 3.

It would also be a good opportunity to pick his brains on boxing in general as he is clearly a lover of the sport and was prone to mimicking Leonard a bit during the eighties.

Anyway, I couldn't source any media contact info from his site and wondered if anyone here could help me?

Thanks a lot.

Have you tried his Facebook page, or his Twitter? They seem to be run by him (or someone close to him).

Or these links on his site?

http://www.donnieyen.asia/contact-us/

I know they're not media contact info as such, but if you email the "collaboration" address you might have a better shot than emailing the "fans" address. Good luck!

Wow! I was never a fan of Star Wars but... Iko Uwais in the next one? Donnie in the following one? If the two characters meet...

OpiumKungFuCracker

Imagine if Lucas had cast Shaw Brothers actor in the original films from the 70s-80s????

Well remember Sammo Hung was going to action direct the prequels at one point. If I remember correctly.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Well remember Sammo Hung was going to action direct the prequels at one point. If I remember correctly.

LOL, what??? Let me guess, is it called, "Enter the obese Star Wars?"

paimeifist
Imagine if Lucas had cast Shaw Brothers actor in the original films from the 70s-80s????

This is great, really. Gordon as Luke (Derek Yee feels like a good fit, but I'm not a fan), David Chiang or Ti Lung as Han Solo, Kara Hui as Leia, Lo Lieh as Vader and Ku Feng as Obi Won!

• Like 1

Some of you guys aren't being exactly fair in bashing Donnie Yen like you are.Granted,everyone here is entitled to their own opinion but you shouldn't judge a person based off of what you heard or saw in an interview(s) All asians aren't humble rice eating keepers of the forgotten scrolls.Donnie comes off as brash and cocky with ego on display at times but so did Bruce and Muhammed Ali in their heyday.It didn't make them any less greater than what they are.I'm not the biggest fan of Jet Li but you don't see me tearing him down.I think that jet is overrated and donnie is more versatile.He can fight and choreograph and direct.Jet tried to direct(born to defence)and that bombed.And part of the reason any martial artist or actor looks good is because of the choreographer and jet has always been paired with the best the genre has to offer...Yuen woo ping,yuen kwai,yuen tak,etc.Donnie has developed himself in a way that he has grown from just wushu and wires and into a complete martial artist with the formal backround to match.His mother is madame bow sim mark for christsake!

Someone posted on here about donnie altering his looks to appear more caucasion.That might be true but he wasn't the only to do that.Jackie Chan had surgery done to his eyes to stretch them wider to give them more of an eurasian appearance decades ago.So if you're going to point out something like that then make sure you point out the others that have also done the same.He has his flaws and shortcomings like everyone else but his trendsettings and accolades can't be denied or refuted.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

This is great, really. Gordon as Luke (Derek Yee feels like a good fit, but I'm not a fan), David Chiang or Ti Lung as Han Solo, Kara Hui as Leia, Lo Lieh as Vader and Ku Feng as Obi Won!

Oh HELL... now I have to see this version. I always wondered why George never cast Toshiro Mifune at the very least, but Shaws too... 

Thank you for giving me a very happy alt. Star Wars universe to play in paimeifist. :smile

I am very happy Donnie is in Star Wars Rogue One. He's the reason why I'll see it theatrically. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

Two years after the Yen vs Zhao/Bing controversy surrounding Special ID, the situation has finally come to an end and Tan Bang has now lost the lawsuit due to lack of evidence that supports his claims of Yen's poor work ethics on set, and will be demanded a personal apology as well as 50.000 yuan in reputation damages to Yen.

Source: http://news.mtime.com/2015/11/17/1549046.html

• Like 1

I love Donnie. But I finally saw "Balistic Kiss" and "Shanghi Affairs" and I couldn't believe how boring they were. I saw "Legend of the Wolf" a decade ago and not being impressed with it either. He's an amazing martial artist and does have good screen presence but it just seems like if he isn't surronded by a crap ton of talent then he's almost unwatchable.

And ever since his big breakthrough with "SPL" he's been the number one star in Asia but at the same time he still hasn't topped that movie. He's making so many movies that he dosen't have the time to actually make them good cause he has to hurry to the next project. Since 2005 he's really only made three good movies with "SPL", "Ip Man" and "Wu Xia". That's it. Everything else is barely mediocre.

I'm also not a fan of CGI in today's martial arts films and Donnie's movies always have it. Even something like "Kung Fu Killer". Did it really need a under the truck CGI fight scene?

On the other hand "Iron Monkey" is my favorite martial arts movie of all time.

I love Donnie. But I finally saw "Balistic Kiss" and "Shanghi Affairs" and I couldn't believe how boring they were. I saw "Legend of the Wolf" a decade ago and not being impressed with it either. He's an amazing martial artist and does have good screen presence but it just seems like if he isn't surronded by a crap ton of talent then he's almost unwatchable.

And ever since his big breakthrough with "SPL" he's been the number one star in Asia but at the same time he still hasn't topped that movie. He's making so many movies that he dosen't have the time to actually make them good cause he has to hurry to the next project. Since 2005 he's really only made three good movies with "SPL", "Ip Man" and "Wu Xia". That's it. Everything else is barely mediocre.

I'm also not a fan of CGI in today's martial arts films and Donnie's movies always have it. Even something like "Kung Fu Killer". Did it really need a under the truck CGI fight scene?

On the other hand "Iron Monkey" is my favorite martial arts movie of all time.

I agree with you regarding Kung Fu Killer and the use of CGI. I really enjoyed the movie but the use of digital SFX during the sequence involving the trucks didn't impress me at all. They could have simply done something else that didn't require the use of computer effects. Saying that it wont stop me watching the film again in the future.

• Like 1

The reason there was CGI in that final fight in Kung Fu Jungle is the same reason film-makers are utilizing CGI replacing live explosions, bullets, muzzle flashes, broken glass etc these days: It's cheaper and doesn't require any form of insurance. We are in an era were everything is digitalized and economical to the point that film companies wouldn't dare risk losing alot of money and facing governmental issues blowing shit up or injuring actors on set. Back in the 80s, film technology was limited and not yet developed so filmmakers had to do everything for real. Now, film technology is advanced and many filmmakers can make use of it without even having to bother with doing real action or pyrotechnics alot of the time. This is not only an issue for Asian action filmmakers but in general.

As for Donnie not yet topping SPL: Kill Zone... Depends on various aspects. Action-wise, then I think Flash Point outbeats it as far as MMA choreography goes. Story-wise, the Ip Man movies as well as Wu Xia were top-notch with more depth and stories layered better. Acting-wise, Donnie already topped it with the Ip Man movies, Wu Xia, The Monkey King and Kung Fu Jungle.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

It's understandable why CGI is used, but I can't overlook the fact that it's a major reason why the fights in KF Jungle aren't as good as a lot of movies from the 70s-90s.  It's fine in a movie like Hero but KF Jungle doesn't need CGI and wires. 

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I understand what you're saying Dip. Times have changed. But like Morgoth said in a movie like "Hero" or Donnie's own "Dragon Tiger Gate" it's fine. That was a comic book movie so it's to be expected.

Obviously it's my own personal opinion but none of his movies post 2005 have held my attention all the way through like "SPL" did. So to me it hasn't been topped yet.

Indeed it didn't need CGI and wirework but like I said, it's on the film companies and they don't want any injuries to happen. That's just how it nowadays. I can live with it because the wirework was minimal compared to other fight scenes in the movie, which were choreographed by other action directors. Also, keep in mind that the final fight was shot at an actual traffic location so they didn't use CGI in every shot.