Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

Chinatown Kid
Who are you talking about Chinatown Kid ?

I'm talking about what yojimbo posted about, the pretty boy stars with no real martial art skills that have to fake it with cgi and wire work. I like the stars with martial arts backgrounds and training.

His martial arts better be strong. He has a family lineage to uphold. Also, he is one of the last of the real martial artists left in Hong Kong cinema. Pretty much most these days are just pretty faced boys/girls they throw into a movie. Use crappy wire work and too much CG.

Actually, China has a bunch of lesser-known and new MA talents. The 1970s gen (Fan Siu-Wong, Xing Yu, John Zhang Jin, Vincent Zhao), the 1980s gen (Dennis To) etc. Right now, most of the talents are situated to doing TV work because that's where they start and stay for a while. The Chinese film industry doesn't invest on these guys because they are not hot property and haven't proven themselves yet. It takes time.

It's interesting both Donnie and Jet are 50 and there is only 3 months between their birthdays (Jet being slightly older) But you could be forgiven for thinking Jet was years older due to the fact that Jet hit superstardem much earlier than Donnie. Although they have both been in the industry since the early 80's. In my opinion Donny's best movies were before 1995 with the Yuen Woo Ping partnership. Though he was well known to us fans back then, he never scored a big hit in a starring role in Hong Kong. Even Iron monkey (which he wasn't even the main character) failed to catapult his career. Ip Man was Donny's once upon a time in china.

Let's not forget Philip Ng and Tiger Chen. They are real martial artists who made the transition to the screen.with recent lead roles.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

With so many movies under his belt I thought he must be very rich.

My findings (if true) surprisingly he is not as wealthy as I thought he would be.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actors/donnie-yen-net-worth/

Donnie+Yen+Photo+Opportunity+64th+Annual+Cannes+m4ANQ6bDMw0l.jpg

Donnie Yen Net Worth

Net Worth: $7 Million

Source of Wealth Film, Television

Birth Place Guangzhou, China

Height 5' 9" (1.75 m)

Marital Status Married (Cissy Wang)

Full Name Donnie Yen Ji-dan

Nationality Hong Kong

More StatsView More

About Donnie Yen

Hong Kong-based producer, film director, choreographer and martial artist Donnie Yen has an estimated net worth of $7 million in 2013. He is a medalist in World Wushu tournament. He is noted for his appearance in various films which starred several renowned action stars such as Michelle Yeoh, Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Donnie Yen is also recognized for his impressive skills in mixed martial arts which include wrestling, Muay Thai, Wing Chun, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, boxing, taekwondo, wushu and kickboxing. He is recently noted as one of the most popular and successful actors in Asia. In fact, he is considered as one of Asia’s highest paid actors today.

Donnie Yen Ji-dan was born on July 27, 1963 in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. From 1993 through 1995, he was married to Zing-Ci Leung. Since 2003, he has been married to Cissy Wang. He has three children.

GD Y-Y

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
I imagine he's worth more than that. That amount just seems...off.

I agree DM that does not make sense with his many years and many movies.

I talked to his dad in 2009 when I visited Boston.

Was hoping to see Master Bow Sim Mark but had to catch a bus.

Here is another: Donnie Yen's net worth is not known, but he makes an estimated $20 million for each movie.

From: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-donnie-yen-net-worth

Thai make much more sense.

And I wonder does he really get $20 million per movie at this time?

Here is another interesting website.

I seems to display every YouTube video on Donnie's film career.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/dl/donnie-yen/

GD Y-Y

Morgoth Bauglir

20 million per movie seems pretty far fetched. That's like Jim carrey Jerry Seinfeld type money.

NoKUNGFUforYU

$2.6 million per picture, which sounds more like it. Maybe he makes $ 7 million per year, not total net.

NoKUNGFUforYU

PS, I am sure his pre superstar status movies paid crap as well. If they didn't, he wouldn't be making stuff like Iron Monkey 2, etc. Aren't we always reading about how some well regarded star of old is flat busted in HK? The guys and gals that were successful bought rental properties and so on, or, in some of the women's case, married multimillionaires. Or, in the case of Michelle Yeoh, several of them, lol!

NoKUNGFUforYU

We shouldn't feel too bad. My understanding is that being an actor in HK and now China is sort of done as a fun career "fringe benefits" and is very working class in a sense. I am not saying that it is fair, as the distributors probably make a fortune, but don't they always.

I get posts from Donnie Yen on my facebook from his Fan page, and he seems to have a pretty fun life. I've said it before, he might make more here doing some roles, but he wouldn't be treated like a superstar. He'd be stuck going to comic cons or whatever. Over there he probably walks down the street and everyone is like "Cool! Donnie Yen!" Here he'd just be some little fit Asian dude, and people in LA might thing he was a stunt man or personal trainer.

I doubt he is going to wind up like Chin Siu Ho or anything, on the flip side.

10370356_690218697714028_8828986107116344745_n.jpg?oh=de915c6f1c39b61c2fb3e6c992d91ae2&oe=5489C63F&__gda__=1418331865_22a7cfa854e268e04b00d7144b5f27dc

Before leaving for Auckland to shoot CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON 2, Donnie Yen returned to Boston to attend his parents' wedding anniversary party. There, he reunited with Michael Woods and Stephen Berwick. Of course, Yen had been working with John Salvitti who is the MMA consultant on his stunt team.

What do you think guys? Should they reunite to make one more film together? I say two words: HELL YEAH!