Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

TibetanWhiteCrane

As Bey tells it on the Wing Chun commentary, there was this guy from Donnie's crew, Billy Lui, who was always whispering in Donnie's ear, boosting his ego and ultimately turning him against the Yuen clan on the Wing Chun set. Of course that's just his version.

Plus there are few other versions of the fall-out, such as Yen having just started a cocaine habit and thereby acting arrogant during interviews and being difficult to work with on the set. This will forever remain a mystery with any hint of insight of the incident being taken with a grain of salt. On the bright side, Woo Ping and Donnie are now cool with each other and still keep in touch every now and then.

Future projects will include collaborations with Richie Ren and Leon Lai. This won't affect deals with other film companies that has projects tailor-made for Donnie, such as a new Teddy Chan movie produced by Emperor Motion Pictures and Pegasus Motion Pictures' Ip Man 3.

http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2013/03/20130315-donnie-yen-and-peter-lam-will.html

Yen, Media Asia launch new company

BAhbB1sHOgZmSSI2MjAxMy8wMy8yMC8xOS81OC81Ny80OTAvRG9ubmllX1llbl9BRjhUNzI3NV9fLkpQRwY6BkVUWwg6BnA6CnRodW1iSSINNTAweDEwMDAGOwZU?suffix=.jpg&sha=6b68bd5b

Production News

Action star Donnie YEN 甄子丹 and Hong Kong studio Media Asia Group Holdings Ltd 寰亞傳媒集團有限公司 have established "Super Hero Films", a new company dedicated to making international films.

Directors Soi CHEANG 鄭保瑞 (Motorway 車手) and Derek KWOK 郭子健 (Gallants 打擂台 (2010)) attended a launch ceremony on Wednesday and expect to be involved with future projects under the "Super Hero Films" banner.

"I wish to incorporate Hollywood technologies into Hong Kong films and introduce more Chinese action stars to the world and breathe new life and create new opportunities for the Hong Kong film industry," said Yen.

"Together, we wish to set up a film making enterprise that is targeted for the international market and bring more exciting projects to the silver screen," said Media Asia boss Peter LAM 林建岳 (pictured, right).

"We hope to capitalise on Yen's rich knowledge in films, his invaluable experience in Hollywood productions, his complete dedication to film-making and his worldwide recognition as an action star and [combine that with] Media Asia Group's strong financial backing and extensive network," said a Media Asia spokesman.

Source: http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/yen-media-asia-launch-new-company?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Drunken Monk

This is monumental news! It's great that Donnie is sticking with action/kung fu cinema and itching to put more into it. I'm genuinely excited about this.

Donnie Yen Hopes to Assemble Chinese Film Heroes Together

At the FILMART trade expo last week, Donnie Yen (甄子丹) spoke of his new film company, “The passion I have for films has never decreased over the years. On the contrary, I have accumulated so many ideas and energy!” With the establishment of Super Hero Films, Donnie hopes to be able to produce high quality action films for the international audience.

Super Hero Films will be a continuation of Donnie’s works over the years. “I need a platform to share my ideas and experience throughout the years. My company is called Super Hero Films but that does not mean I will film superhero movies. I just feel that there is a super hero in each person. I want to use my films to bring out that sense of responsibility and purpose in people. In our society, we need lots of such positive energy.” In recent years, Donnie revealed he has only accepted roles which gave him a positive vibe.

Super Hero Films will specialize in action movies. Donnie said, “I don’t want to act in every film. I want to be a producer and look out for new talent. Only with new blood can the art of kung fu be passed on. Finding new blood is by no means easy, therefore I must have a company to dominate this market first. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to film to build up the operations of the company.”

It has been previously reported that Donnie is in discussion with mainland Chinese director, Feng Xiaogang (冯小刚), for his next project. Donnie said, “We definitely have the intention to work together. Together, his comedy and my action concepts will create a special kind of spark. I am looking forward to this collaboration.”

Though Donnie did not disclose the amount he invested into the venture, he revealed that he and Media Asia’s Peter Lam (林建岳) each account for 50 percent of the shares. Full of confidence for his new company, Donnie shared, “Our economy is good. The industry is doing well and we are making progress every day. Ten years ago, I have already predicted that the Chinese film market will become the world’s number one!”

With Hollywood constantly making use of Chinese martial arts in their movies, Donnie foresees that Chinese martial arts will be able to reach global recognition in a few years, which is his ultimate target.

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-hopes-to-assemble-chinese-film-heroes-together/

On Legal Disputes

Last year, Chinese film director, Geng Weiguo (耿卫国) also known as Tan Bing (檀冰) publicly accused Donnie for seizing his film project, Ultimate Codebreaker <终极解码> and repacking it as Special Identity <特殊身份>. Subsequently, a year later, Donnie filed 4 lawsuits against the director and demanded that Geng Weiguo issue a public apology and compensate Donnie with 5 million RMB for economic loss and emotional distress. The Beijing Haidian District Court has taken up the case.

Donnie kept silent over the incident, and finally explained why he has brought the case to court. “I have been steadfast in what I do so I have chosen to ignore [Geng Weiguo's] malicious slander initially because they were untrue. But everyone has a limit. My limit was reached when they held a press conference late last year and tried to smear my reputation again. Of course, I have to fight back this time. Furthermore, I’m a father and I have a duty to explain the truth to my children.”

Insisting that as long as he remains steadfast in what he does, no matter whether in film or other industries, Donnie feels there is no need to care what others think or do.

http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-hopes-to-assemble-chinese-film-heroes-together/

The first movie is titled The Master (I presume it's the same project as Enter the Master) which will be set in the US and center around a Hong Kong immigrant/martial arts master who is being targeted for revenge by a gun shop owner. Soi Cheang (Dog Bite Dog, Accident) will helm the movie.

The second movie is called Dragon City, helmed by Derek Kwok (The Gallants), about a cop who leads a special task force into battling crime and police corruption inside the now-demolished Kowloon Walled City.

Source: http://twitchfilm.com/2013/04/media-asia-announces-donnie-yens-first-super-hero-projects.html

Hong Kong's Media Asia Announces Two Donnie Yen Action Vehicles

"The Master" and "Dragon City" will be shopped at Cannes and produced by Super Hero, the production banner co-founded by Yen and Media Asia.

HONG KONG – Media Asia has announced the first two starring vehicles for Donnie Yen (Ip Man) under its Super Hero label, the company’s joint venture with Yen.

The first of the planned films is martial arts drama The Master, to be directed by Hong Kong's Soi Cheang (Motorway). Set in the 1970s, The Master tells the story of a Hong Kong immigrant and kung fu school owner in the U.S., who inadvertently becomes a gun shop owner’s target of revenge.

The second project is Dragon City, to be directed by Derek Kwok (Gallants). A crime action-drama also set in the 1970s, Dragon City sees Yen play a cop who gathers a team of policemen to fight their corrupt counterparts and other villains in the notorious Kowloon Walled City, a self-contained project-like community that was torn down in Hong Kong in 1993.

Yen will star in both films, which are now in pre-production and will begin filming in 2013. The projects will be produced by Super Hero and repped by Media Asia at the upcoming Cannes market.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/two-donnie-yen-projects-coming-438209

Donnie Yen Prepares for New Films “The Master” and “Kowloon Walled City”

Donnie Yen’s (甄子丹) new production company, Super Hero Films, is all set to make their first round of motion pictures – The Master <大師> and Kowloon Walled City <九龍城寨>.

Although both films are still in very early pre-production stages, Cheang Pou Soi (鄭保瑞) has already signed on to direct The Master, a martial arts film about a Hong Kong immigrant who becomes a target of revenge after opening up his own kung fu school in 1970s America. Production will begin to shoot this year, and Donnie himself plans to star in the film.

Super Hero Films’ second project, Kowloon Walled City, will be directed by Derek Kwok (郭子健), who is best known for directing the award-winning film Gallants <打擂台> and co-directing Stephen Chow’s (周星馳) Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons <西遊降魔篇>.

“I initially had a completely different idea for Kowloon Walled City,” said Derek Kwok. “I wanted it to be dark, depressing, and evil – to have the black and white sides mingling together with a crime-infested story. It is rather heavy, but Donnie wanted to film something positive.”

Also set in the 1970s, the action-packed Kowloon Walled City will again star Donnie, who in the film will ally up with the Hong Kong Police Force and lead a team of elite forces to battle crime and corruption in the dangerous and self-governed walled city, which has since been demolished by the Hong Kong government. Both Derek and Donnie clarified that Kowloon Walled City will still be a dark film, but instead of glorifying the triads, the film will be about the story of a group of small-time, no-good gangsters who fight for justice and survival.

“By establishing Super Hero Films, I hope to make more films that give off positive energy,” said Donnie.

Both films will be introduced at the Cannes Film Festival this year, which will be held next month.

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-prepares-for-new-films-the-master-and-kowloon-walled-city/#comment-231957

I can see where you're coming from but I don't see how these new projects are mediocre though. Triads, corrupt cops, cultural differences, funky clothing and hairdos, and Soi Cheang and Derek Kwok (two promising HK filmmakers on the rise) directing....

Still no word of Special Identity. I assume it's been delayed for its' own purposes.

I can see where you're coming from but I can't see how these new projects are mediocre though. Triads, corrupt cops, cultural differences, funky clothing and hairdos, and Soi Cheang and Derek Kwok (two promising HK filmmakers on the rise) directing....

Still no word of Special Identity. I assume it's been delayed for its' own purposes.

I guess it's his more recent offerings I'm talking about (except Ip Man, which is one of my favorites). The plot for The Master sounds completely up my ally; love revenge of any sort.

Donnie Yen: “Vincent Zhao Needs to Apologize!”

Filming Special ID <特殊身份> last year, Donnie Yen (甄子丹) was faced with numerous obstacles. Having been in the industry for more than 30 years, Donnie admitted they were the most problematic situations he faced.

Vincent Zhao (趙文卓) withdrew from the movie after claiming that Donnie was too domineering to work with. At the same time, director Tan Bing (檀冰) filed a lawsuit against Donnie, claiming his action movie plagiarized the script of Ultimate Codebreaker <終極解碼>. When pressed for answers, Donnie never touched upon any details, leaving the speculations wide open. Since a year has now passed, he believes it is the right time to speak up as the truth has slowly become apparent in everyone’s eyes.

Donnie gave a thorough explanation of what had happened at a promotional event for Special ID in Guangzhou yesterday. At the start of filming, Donnie had invited Vincent to participate although the film company refused adamantly. The company labeled Vincent as a “very difficult person,” and suggested Donnie to think otherwise. Nonetheless, he insisted on casting Vincent.

Indeed, problems quickly surfaced. As the producer, Donnie attempted to solve everything and believed all would be under control. “When problems arouse, I personally spoke with him and asked him to stay on several occasions. I even spoke with his former management company, hoping to resolve the problems. Actually, when filming movies, problems come up every day. From my perspective, what problems cannot be solved? I didn’t think that the problems truly cannot be solved. The press statement [to let go of Vincent] was issued after I discussed with the film company.”

Vincent openly accused the film company for its unethical work ways and criticized the producer. Donnie did not join it on the critical remarks, choosing to focus on his work rather than join in the verbal crossfire.

Donnie admitted that the chances of working with Vincent again are low. Donnie said, “To be honest, I think he should give the public and the people he implicated an apology.”

Tan Bing’s Plagiarism Claims

Adding to the turmoil, Tan Bing held several press conferences to accuse Special ID of plagiarism. He filed a lawsuit, and the case was soon brought to court. Speaking of Tan Bing, Donnie exclaimed angrily, “He is an undesirable man in the film industry. The entertainment circle shall not allow these undesirable people to exist.”

Donnie insisted they had not plagiarized in any manner, and the storyline of their film was unique and different than that of Tan Bing’s Ultimate Codebreaker. Although the complaint was filed against the film company, Tan Bing spoke poorly of Donnie when facing the media. “What does it have to do with me? Obviously he is creating hype,” Donnie said angrily. “Tan Bing had lost the lawsuit but told the public the final results were undecided. At this point, I am the one filing a lawsuit against him.”

Donnie remembered his first time filming, when he woke up early and earned little. “Everyone wakes up to face different problems. It’s all about how you plan to solve them. You pay the price for whether you choose the straight road or the crooked road. But I still think it’s better to not go down the crooked road.” No matter how many ups and downs Donnie faced throughout his career, his passion for filming movies has not changed.

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie-yen-vincent-zhao-needs-to-apologize/

Donnie Yen Declines Responding to Jealousy Rumors

Donnie Yen spoke to the Mainland media while promoting his film Special ID last week. Speaking of the production in its' early stage it was rumored that Vincent Zhao was acting like a big shot, Yen broke his silence for the first time. He pointed out that because Zhao repeatedly made demands like a presidential suite and salary increase, the investors wanted to replace him on four occasions. After ten days of shooting, Yen eventually learned that Zhao brought eight or nine people to the set and the production paid for all of them.

Yen said: "I don't know why he would need so many people, I just brought one assistant to the shoot." As for the rumor of Yen being envious of Zhao's looks, Yen said that he has worked with Takeshi Kaneshiro, Nicholas Tse, Wu Chun and others; all of whom are popular among females. And thus he didn't want to respond. As for Shu Qi receiving negative attacks online after giving her support to Yen, he said that people who hurt Shu Qi were shameless and praised that Shu Qi for her professionalism and skills as an actress.

Source: http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2013/10/20131025-donnie-yen-declines-to-respond.html

galvatron1976

Donnie Yen's ex-wife breaks down in tears and begs him to visit sick son

According to media reports, Donnie Yen ignored his ex-wife’s plea to visit their son, who was admitted to hospital for an operation.

According to reports in Asian Pop News and Apple Daily, Donnie and his ex-wife, Leung Zing Ci got married in 1993, but their marriage lasted only a year. After the couple divorced, Zing Ci found out she was pregnant and gave birth to their son, Jeff.

In previous interviews, Donnie said that although he had parted ways with Zing Ci, he still shared the responsibility and took care of their son. However, reports claimed that Donnie had refused to visit his son and cited work as a reason.

On 20 October 2013, an eye witness spotted Zing Ci accompanying Jeff to the hospital and he was immediately scheduled for an emergency lung operation.

A source said, “Nobody initially knew that he was Donnie’s son. There was a woman who made a phone call to look for Donnie Yen, and said that his son had a hole in the lung and needed an operation right away. She urged him to visit the son, and asked him why couldn’t he just spare few hours for his son. She asked how could he ignore his son when he was in trouble.”

“The woman was very agitated and cried after the call. Shortly after, she made another call and said, ‘Ask Donnie Yen to pick up the phone! I plead you, I need to find him! Please ask him to visit his son!” Donnie reportedly did not visit his son during his one week stay in hospital.

This is unlike his usual loving fatherly image with his two other children, Jasmine and James with his current wife, Cecilia Wang. Recently, Donnie was also spotted carrying his younger son, James to visit a doctor.

When asked about her husband’s refusal to visit his son, Cecilia replied, “It’s not convenient for me to respond on these questions.”

Link

http://www.lollipop.sg/content/did-donnie-yen-ignore-ex-wifes-plea-visit-sick-son

Donnie Yen's ex-wife breaks down in tears and begs him to visit sick son

According to media reports, Donnie Yen ignored his ex-wife’s plea to visit their son, who was admitted to hospital for an operation.

According to reports in Asian Pop News and Apple Daily, Donnie and his ex-wife, Leung Zing Ci got married in 1993, but their marriage lasted only a year. After the couple divorced, Zing Ci found out she was pregnant and gave birth to their son, Jeff.

In previous interviews, Donnie said that although he had parted ways with Zing Ci, he still shared the responsibility and took care of their son. However, reports claimed that Donnie had refused to visit his son and cited work as a reason.

On 20 October 2013, an eye witness spotted Zing Ci accompanying Jeff to the hospital and he was immediately scheduled for an emergency lung operation.

A source said, “Nobody initially knew that he was Donnie’s son. There was a woman who made a phone call to look for Donnie Yen, and said that his son had a hole in the lung and needed an operation right away. She urged him to visit the son, and asked him why couldn’t he just spare few hours for his son. She asked how could he ignore his son when he was in trouble.”

“The woman was very agitated and cried after the call. Shortly after, she made another call and said, ‘Ask Donnie Yen to pick up the phone! I plead you, I need to find him! Please ask him to visit his son!” Donnie reportedly did not visit his son during his one week stay in hospital.

This is unlike his usual loving fatherly image with his two other children, Jasmine and James with his current wife, Cecilia Wang. Recently, Donnie was also spotted carrying his younger son, James to visit a doctor.

When asked about her husband’s refusal to visit his son, Cecilia replied, “It’s not convenient for me to respond on these questions.”

Link

http://www.lollipop.sg/content/did-donnie-yen-ignore-ex-wifes-plea-visit-sick-son

There are a lot of social network groups and dubious showbiz newsletter websites who most times thrive on character assassination of celebrities and dignitaries.

Personally I dislike so called " fact based " ? reports with phrases like " according to reports " "according to media reports" " reports claimed " " an eye witness " " a source " " a woman " " the woman " . If these reporters really have " the facts " then why the half-baked journalism?

The statement below has a lot of contradictions in my opinion if one reads between the lines

............and perhaps this one makes some sense

" When asked about her husband’s refusal to visit his son, Cecilia replied, “It’s not convenient for me to respond on these questions.”

Give us the facts straight from the horse's mouth;if you can't,then to avoid a potential flame war on this forum, based on rumors, this thread is now closed.

D. Yen gives out details on his life and movie career in divided parts:

- http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2014/02/20140220-star-class-column-this-is-how.html (his upbringing from childhood to youth, his mother, and martial arts background)

- http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2014/02/20140227-star-class-column-my-father.html (his father)

- http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2014/03/20140306-star-class-column-my-brothers.html (his stunt team)

Jet Li recently appeared on a program show and commented on current action stars and action movies. He praised Donnie for his real dedication and efforts of making good action movies despite being 50 years old.

Donnie is 50 years old but despite this, his martial arts is still strong!

Source:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fyule.sohu.com%2F20140306%2Fn396135797.shtml (rough translation)

http://yule.sohu.com/20140306/n396135797.shtml (original)

His martial arts better be strong. He has a family lineage to uphold. Also, he is one of the last of the real martial artists left in Hong Kong cinema. Pretty much most these days are just pretty faced boys/girls they throw into a movie. Use crappy wire work and too much CG.

Chinatown Kid
His martial arts better be strong. He has a family lineage to uphold. Also, he is one of the last of the real martial artists left in Hong Kong cinema. Pretty much most these days are just pretty faced boys/girls they throw into a movie. Use crappy wire work and too much CG.

I'll tell you this, I'll just pop in my old movies and watch the the guys with real skills then because fakers trying to pose will never get my money or interest.