Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

Seems more like one star attempting to demasculate another for whatever reason.. Someone needs to take higher ground and squash it. Yen fans wil blame Zhao, and vise versa. It's not dificult to believe Yen has gottten full of himself. It's very disrespectful, and unprofessional.

Guest Yi-Long
I'm sure to get films made on time and get everyone on the same page, you have to be a bit of an unpleasant hard-ass---I think that's the case with many great directors and filmmakers--so I can give Yen a bit of a pass for that. However, if Zhao had it put in the contract that any script revisions had to be approved by him, and Yen agreed to that contract, then Zhao is in the right, IMO.

I disagree. I believe the best directors are often pretty laid back and give their cast and crew respect, confidence, and thus create a pleasant environment for everyone involved to work in, which makes it much easier to perform at your best.

I'm pretty sure Eastwood never pulled any of this shit.

It's only insecure people who feel the need to shout and bully all the time.

Donnie Yen has always had the reputation of being a bit difficult to work with, arrogant, a big ego, etc etc. This story doesn't surprise me.

It also explains why so many of his movies end up piss-poor while there is a huge potential for it to be great. His best work is when he's JUST an actor, and MAYBE has a role in the choreography. Whenever he's responsible to do lots of stuff, the movie usually turns out mediocre at most.

I feel once you have a good script, and everyone involved has read it and agrees to it, you STICK to it and bring it to the screen as faithfully as possible.

You don't start baking a cake and change the recipy halfway through cause 'you also like fried unions and chickensoup'. That will turn out a mess!

masterofoneinchpunch
I disagree. I believe the best directors are often pretty laid back and give their cast and crew respect, confidence, and thus create a pleasant environment for everyone involved to work in, which makes it much easier to perform at your best.

I'm pretty sure Eastwood never pulled any of this shit.

It's only insecure people who feel the need to shout and bully all the time.

I agree that insecure people feel the need to shout and bully, but the best directors have a whole gamut of personalities. Some are actor's directors like Clint Eastwood and Woody Allen and then you have tyrants from Josef Von Sternberg, Otto Preminger, Oliver Stone, Stanley Kubrick, Robert Bresson (he never yelled, he would just have you do take after take after take), Akira Kurosawa was known for being difficult, Werner Herzog, Von Trier, John Ford and you can go on and on. It's interesting that the best directors have all different types of personalities as well as different approaches to film, script etc..

There are very few laid back directors though, the job is just too demanding and you are dealing with too many things from issues with actors to issues with producers to issues with just about everything.

I wonder if Yen is being heavy-handed and preferring the majority of the attention for himself and doesn't want to share equal billing on screen.

Something about this reminds me of Dragon Tiger Gate. The movie is about Dragon (Yen), when in the comics it's about Tiger (Tse). You wonder why that had to change for the movie...

But then I think about him taking a smaller role in Bodyguards and Assassins, or working on smaller films like An Empress and the Warriors and I think 'surely this guy can't be that bad to work with.' But I dunno. It's too bad Zhao couldn't just stick with it. I'm sure Donnie still would have made him look good in his fight scenes.

Can someone sum up the article please, I don't like to read much.... So Zhao is saying Yen is gay???

Just Drunken Monk being sarcastic haha.

This whole thing is pretty much a case of misunderstanding, miscommunication, and two big egos clashing with each other. On one hand, we have Zhao (who came onboard as just an actor) demanding authorized clauses in the script for his character to remain unchanged, and on the other we have Donnie drastically changing the script in accordance to the choreography and screen-time of the characters. You can clearly see creative differences and ethics both possess, and stuff like this can often result in disputes.

Guest Yi-Long
Wow.......................WTF...........................donnie VS zhao;

W. A. B. O. B. S. < (translate please ) > ......!

how so?

GD Y-Y

HOW SAD!

:( .....

BTW,

I..... for ..... "1"..... liked.

True Legend.

P.S. 'True Legend' was more about Tsu Hark than Zhao.

maybe

Were you homeschooled by a dyslexic monkey or something!?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
There are very few laid back directors though, the job is just too demanding and you are dealing with too many things from issues with actors to issues with producers to issues with just about everything.

Martin Scorsese. One of the greatest directors in the world. Talks fast, but is kind and professional. I've never heard once about him acting like a jerk on set.

As for the different styles of directing, I believe this is a matter of each director's personality. Every person has a different way that they "get things done".

Donnie Yen makes good movies and knows how to make the action exciting - is he a diva? Probably. Is Zhao a diva, yes, I'm sure he is - he came with an entourage. When you're working with someone that's calling the shots, like it or not - you have to bow to what they want, or you can bow out if you're not able to handle not being the center of attention. The fault was probably on both sides, two divas can't be in the same room because the room isn't large enough to hold two egos. I say it was bad judgement to cast someone that's insecure and needs to be the focus of every movie. Zhou is talented but there's got to a reason why someone talented hasn't had more success in the industry. In my opinion, his behavior likely has a lot to do with it.

Laura

I believe the entourage stuff was false. That's why Zhao requested the production crew to issue a statement to clarify the bad rumors that circulated when the news of his departure was out.

Zhou is talented but there's got to a reason why someone talented hasn't had more success in the industry. In my opinion, his behavior likely has a lot to do with it.

You're not alone on that. Most people haven't forgotten his shaky relationship with the late Anita Mui which resulted in a scandal. I also heard he got in trouble with the triads but I don't recall if it had something to do with Mui or if it was a separate incident. Plus there are stories of him being difficult to work with just after he parted ways with Tsui Hark in the mid 90s, which is why he left for the Mainland to do TV work. But other than that, I see it as a situation where communication hasn't been successful between both parties due to cultural differences (Donnie the US/HK Chinese contra Zhao the Mainland Chinese).

TibetanWhiteCrane

No point in playing the blame game..... that's for fourth graders!

They both have big egos, they're both difficult to work with, it didn't work out.... end of story.

Most people haven't forgotten his shaky relationship with the late Anita Mui which resulted in a scandal. I also heard he got in trouble with the triads but I don't recall if it had something to do with Mui or if it was a separate incident.

Anita had tremendous success both as a recording artist and as an actress - which is rare in my opinion to be able to pull it off. She was at the height of her fame when dating Zhou (for only a year) and cited in the press unfairly as "The ugly queen of pop." It wasn't a secret that he didn't like playing second fiddle to anyone.

The reality in action cinema is that you go into a movie with a script, expect changes - lots of them to accommodate the action. The action counts more than the script. I'm disappointed that Zhou and Yen won't share the screen as I was looking forward to yet another amazing fight scene, but Zhou seems a bit delicate for the business to understand how to achieve success.

Laura

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Were you homeschooled by a dyslexic monkey or something!?

I was a little snookered when I posted that.....Thanks for reminding me.

GD Y-Y

:xd:

Geez, I was looking forward to seeing Donnie fight Zhao but not like this. I respect them both so I hate to see this situation get ugly.

Donnie Yen sues director Tan Bing

25 Feb – It was reported that famed martial arts film star, Donnie Yen, has filed a lawsuit against Chinese film director Geng Weiguo (also known as Tan Bing) for damaging his reputation, demanding compensation of RMB 5 million in the process.

As reported on Asianpopnews, the actor released a statement about his legal decision, saying there was no contractual agreement and official employment relationship between both parties and that Tan Bing's statement had constituted defamation as they were all fabricated rumors.

Last year, Tan Bing held a media conference and publicly slammed Donnie Yen for allegedly seizing his film project, "Ultimate Codebreaker" and renaming it to "Special Identity".

He claimed that Donnie had tried to seize Jackie Chan's producer role after knowing that the latter would not be starring in the film, requested for a 10% increase in remuneration and declined former Super Junior member, Han Geng from joining the set due to the latter's popularity outshining his own.

Tan Bing continued, alleging that his investor had withdrawn from the project and caused him to lose his job as scriptwriter and director due to Donnie's domineering behavior. He further claimed that the disputes between Vincent Zhao and Donnie had escalated because "Donnie's driver murdered Vincent Zhao's driver". Donnie's driver was accused of murdering Vincent's driver.

To this, Donnie has filed for four lawsuits and demanded that the defendant, Geng Weiguo, stop all actions that will infringe upon other party's legitimate rights, make a written apology on the media, compensate RMB 5 million for economic loss and emotional distress to plaintiff [Donnie Yen] and bear all fees related to the lawsuit, lawyer and notary.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/donnie-yen-sues-director-tan-bing-060800965.html

If you're referring to his fall-out with Yuen Woo Ping and diminishing acting career in the mid 90s, those are already behind him.

That's beside the point anyway because he's bigger now then back then.

If you're referring to his fall-out with Yuen Woo Ping and diminishing acting career in the mid 90s, those are already behind him.

That's beside the point anyway because he's bigger now then back then.

Wow..I didn't know Donnie had a fall-out with the master of Kung-Fu choreography. Though I think Donnie's best work was with Woo Ping. I think Donnie has made more bombs than memorable classics without the help of a Sammo, Ching Siu Tung or Yuen Woo Ping.

Someone is waaaaaaay behind...

As much as Yen has had great success working with those people in the past, he doesn't need them now cause he has transformed into a well-established action director/choreographer in his own right and keeps improving.