Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

Morgoth Bauglir

This reminds me of Ron Van Clief trying to fight in the UFC, though Van Clief had a lot more competition experience. Donnie would face a good grappler and get dominated on the ground. It’d be fun to watch for the first 20 seconds.

OpiumKungFuCracker

wasn't there a power ranger dude doing MMA fighting??? Is he doing good, I heard he knocked the guy out in the 1st round or something...

Hes too old at this point, cool that he is a fan though. If he's 5'8 and 154 he'd be a good sized featherweight. He could of been successful in the earlier days of mma if he developed any grappling capabilities, but 50 is just way too old to start even if he started 10 years ago it would of been quite late. If he really wanted to start now, he could maybe beat a couple of cans in smaller promotions but no way would he last in the ufc.

Edit: Found out hes 165, so he'd be a lightweight. Also found out hes a purple belt in jiu jitsu so he must be legit on the ground but again hes just a bit too old to be competitive in mma competition. He could beat some guys at lower level organizations though id imagine.

This reminds me of Ron Van Clief trying to fight in the UFC, though Van Clief had a lot more competition experience. Donnie would face a good grappler and get dominated on the ground. It’d be fun to watch for the first 20 seconds.

Nathan Jones fought at one of the earlier Pride shows, he ended up losing though.

Found out hes 165, so he'd be a lightweight. Also found out hes a purple belt in jiu jitsu so he must be legit on the ground but again hes just a bit too old to be competitive in mma competition. He could beat some guys at lower level organizations though id imagine.

Where did you get info on his ju-jutsu training? And is there more info on how much he has trained other styles? I heard he's a blackbelt of tae kwon do.

I can't imagine he'd go into any MMA match without some serious training for a year or so. It's not like he's going to walk off a set and into the ring for the fight, I don't think he's that arrogant. At 50 he wouldn't do much, but in his 30s and with extensive training against wrestlers I think he could have at least held his own and not gotten embarrassed.

I've met Yen and was the first person to mention the UFC to him in 1996. He had not seen it at the time (it was just shaking off its "Gracie BJJ commercial" vibe). Nice to see that he's a fan and he might have made a decent lightweight fighter. Met Dustin Poirer at Actionfest and he's about the same size as Donnie.

wasn't there a power ranger dude doing MMA fighting??? Is he doing good, I heard he knocked the guy out in the 1st round or something...

Yes, Jason David Frank who played the Green Ranger on the original series has competed

in MMA. I'm not sure about a1st round knock out, but he did get a win last year. He was

scheduled to fight back in july, however, due to a torn bicept, it was postponed till a later date.

I've met Yen and was the first person to mention the UFC to him in 1996. He had not seen it at the time (it was just shaking off its "Gracie BJJ commercial" vibe). Nice to see that he's a fan and he might have made a decent lightweight fighter. Met Dustin Poirer at Actionfest and he's about the same size as Donnie.

Wow cool, interesting piece of information.

The Clash of the Kung Fu Titans: Vincent Zhao Blasts Donnie Yen’s Domineering Ways

Since the production crew of Special Identity <特殊身份> unilaterally announced on February 29th that Vincent Zhao (赵文卓) had officially stepped away from the Chinese film, rumors abounded as to the root cause. Numerous negative rumors had surfaced claiming that Vincent Zhao was a difficult actor to work with and reportedly refused to respond to filming notices. With his anger boiling over allegations that undermined his reputation, Vincent Zhao finally broke his silence. In an interview with Jinghua News, Vincent Zhao blasted Donnie Yen (甄子丹) for his domineering ways and unpleasant work ethics!

Failed To Click With Donnie Yen

The first time that Vincent Zhao had met Donnie Yen was at the Beijing press conference announcing their partnership in Special Identity. During the filming process Vincent and Donnie did not share any deep conversations. Vincent cited personality differences as Donnie often responded in a curt manner without follow up.

One of Vincent’s friends informed him that Donnie Yen possessed a habit of frequently modifying scripts. Vincent revealed, “While I anticipated our scenes together, I was also anxious about his script revision habits. I included a clause in my filming contract stipulating that script revisions need to be approved by me. This was a rare practice and the first time I inserted such a clause in my contract.”

“Donnie Yen Requested Frequent Script Changes”

Vincent alluded that Donnie’s domineering reputation was not without reason. Over the course of his 20-year acting career, Vincent professed that he has never worked under such unpleasant filming conditions. The production crew for Special Identity - consisting of Donnie Yen as Executive Producer and Action Director; Cheung Mong (张望) as Producer; and Clarence Fok (霍耀良) as Director - often argued vehemently on the set.

Vincent declared that he had agreed to film Special Identity due to the first-time opportunity to have “awesome sparring fights” with Donnie Yen in the film project. Filming started on February 8th. Vincent recounted that on the second day of filming, Donnie and Director Clarence Fok had an argument on set. “I understand Cantonese and the overall dispute involved problems with the characterizations. Clarence did not wish to make the changes while Donnie demanded that the script changes were to be made.”

Vincent was asked to return to his hotel upon which he waited for 7 hours before receiving notice to return to the filming set. Significant changes in the script were apparent in which the characters’ personalities changed dramatically. Vincent said, “One scene featured a dialogue exchange between Donnie and I where my character originally suppressed his in the exchange. After modification, Donnie’s character now suppressed me verbally. Fine, I put up with it at the time!”

Afterward, Vincent waited in the hotel for 6 days before receiving another filming notice. Around February 15th the script was revised to reflect dramatic changes to Vincent’s character, without prior discussion with him. “Previously, Special Identity featured two main leads. After the script changes, many of my scenes were removed. I was completely altered into a supporting character! The most critical change was towards the personality of my character, who was originally very cold but it was altered to a person who now slaps another man’s butt! I decided that I couldn't work in that project anymore!”

Kicked Out Without Notice

Vincent was originally the main villain in Special Identity and possessed significant screen time. After rounds of script revisions, his role was diminished to a supporting role. Vincent stated, “They violated the filming contract! On February 27th, I sought out the film’s producer, director, and Donnie Yen to discuss the direction of the script.”

During this meeting, Vincent also requested that the production crew issue a statement clarifying recent negative rumors regarding his poor work ethics. Vincent stated, “The people present at the meeting agreed to issue a statement on my behalf except Donnie Yen, who did not say anything.” Even the film’s financiers had personally agreed to issue the statement to clear Vincent’s name. However, Vincent was notified that Donnie Yen did not agree to issue the statement the following day. Vincent decided to issue his own personal statement denying the allegations, while thinking he would return to the crew to discuss the script further.

On February 29th, the production crew issued a press release stating that Vincent Zhao had officially stepped away from Special Identity, an unilateral decision made without discussions with Vincent Zhao which further provoked his anger.

Vincent Zhao Breaks Silence to Bring Forth Justice

When asked what reaction he expected from Donnie Yen by revealing his filming experience in Special Identity, Vincent said, “I don’t care about his reaction as I am speaking the truth! I considered for a long time before deciding to step forward. Stepping forward this time required my utmost courage! In the past many actors were unwilling to speak up because they were afraid of being blacklisted, and would not receive future jobs. I will stand in an upright manner, unafraid of being blacklisted. Even if this means not acting in films anymore I have to reveal the truth! China’s film industry is not up to standard, a lot of things are finalized by the domineering forces. What purpose does a contract serve?”

Donnie Yen’s Posse Counters Vincent Zhao’s Claims

Director Clarence Fok stood behind Donnie Yen praising him as a loyal person. Donnie Yen had rejected two film projects in order to film Special Identity, and did not receive extra pay for 6 months due to the delay in the filming schedule. Mr. Fok admitted that Donnie had scolded an action choreographer for not possessing serious work ethics. Mr. Fok denied that there were frequent arguments on the set, “When a group of men are filming an action movie together - is there a need to say ‘please’ all the time? Does the use of rough words mean that we were arguing? I and cinematographer Peter Pau (鲍德熹) get along well with Donnie Yen.”

Mr. Fok reiterated that Donnie had insisted on casting Vincent Zhao. Mr. Fok stated, “As for the filming clauses in Vincent Zhao’s contract, both Donnie Yen and I were not aware of the terms.” Cinematographer Peter Pau also complimented Donnie for his professionalism.

Producer Cheung Mong (张望) noted that the script was not perfect thus it was necessary to continuously revise it. Mr. Cheung claimed that the script revisions did not originate from Donnie but rather from the production crew. “It is impossible that Vincent Zhao has not experienced such script revisions in his acting career. It was unimaginable that Vincent Zhao possessed a complete uncooperative stance so it was impossible for the production crew to work with him!”

Regarding Vincent’s allegations that his fighting scenes with Donnie Yen were cut, Mr. Cheung noted that it was an unnecessary worry as these scenes were the film’s major selling point. “I can tell you that from the beginning until the end, Donnie Yen insisted on using Vincent Zhao. Otherwise the production crew would not have agreed to Vincent Zhao’s domineering filming contract!”

Mr. Cheung also admitted that he had released public details regarding the high hotel expenses that Vincent had incurred, which Vincent noted that he would rather receive lower pay and nicer hotel accommodations. Vincent further challenged and countered why the production crew made an issue out of his hotel accommodations after filming had occurred.

Donnie Yen’s Response

Although he was contacted by the press regarding Vincent’s claims, Donnie Yen did not personally respond. His representative stated, “There is no need for Donnie Yen to respond to statements that do not represent the facts. It was Donnie who had initially recommended casting Vincent Zhao in Special Identity. When Donnie heard that Vincent refused filming notices, Donnie went to investigate the matter. If Vincent Zhao did in fact make such statements as referenced in the news, Donnie Yen is extremely disappointed.”

http://www.jaynestars.com/news/the-clash-of-the-kung-fu-titans-vincent-zhao-blasts-donnie-yens-domineering-ways/

it was altered to a person who now slaps another man’s butt! I decided that I couldn't work in that project anymore!”

I guess butt slapping is a deal breaker for Zhao...

If half of that story be found true, good for Zhao..

Touching another man's ass is a deal breaker for anyone-not into that shit.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I think.... 1. Donnie Yen is tough to work with. 2. Vincent Zhao is being a bit of a girl.

They obviously didn't click.... just move on.

Outrageous! They obviously added the butt slapping to ridicule and affect how Zhao is perceived in real life. He shall not stand for butt slapping!! :neutral:

Give me a break

There is always 2 sides of the story then there's the truth! What a shame though, I would've loved to seen these 2 Titans work together!

I'm sure to get films made on time and get everyone on the same page, you have to be a bit of an unpleasant hard-ass---I think that's the case with many great directors and filmmakers--so I can give Yen a bit of a pass for that. However, if Zhao had it put in the contract that any script revisions had to be approved by him, and Yen agreed to that contract, then Zhao is in the right, IMO.

ShaOW!linDude

I like Yen and I like Zhao.

Yen is, without doubt, the dominant HK action star of the moment. It doesn't surprise me that he may have developed a bit of a diva attitude as a result of his successes over the last few years. He's the more bankable star of the project, too.

Zhao is no slouch but lacks the star power that Yen has. But he is coming into his own, it appears, after the success of TRUE LEGEND (which I have yet to see).

I wonder if Yen is being heavy-handed and preferring the majority of the attention for himself and doesn't want to share equal billing on screen. To undermine the integrity of the agreed upon script to skew things in his favor seems unfair to me. But to maliciously have Zhao's character portrayed in some unsavory light seems to be an act I would think beneath him.

Not sure what to believe or what to think.

Maybe the film title should be changed from Special Identity to Special Egos.:tongue:

Originally Posted by ShaOW!linDude

Zhao is no slouch but lacks the star power that Yen has. But he is coming into his own, it appears, after the success of TRUE LEGEND (which I have yet to see).

Success??? Well, commercially TRUE LEGEND was a serious dud, bro! They lost a friggin' fortune on that. And personally speaking, despite some wonderful Huang Shan location shooting, despite Zhao and a great Manga-esque villain and even despite the Michelle Yeoh cameo and the presence of the ever-wonderful Zhou Xun it wasn't all that good. The film relied too much on excessive and sometimes painfully tacky CGI (the cliff fight scene between Zhao and Jay "God Of Wushu" Chou was a real spoiler for me!) and the utterly unfitting, out-of-the-blue final boxing ring showdown felt like a cheap and forced compromise to audience and / or investor expectations.

ShaOW!linDude

Ah. My bad. I was under the impression that it had been a hit. I thought it did good box office. People I've talked to have all seemed to enjoy it. Looked too wire-worky for me personally.

Success??? Well, commercially TRUE LEGEND was a serious dud, bro! They lost a friggin' fortune on that. And personally speaking, despite some wonderful Huang Shan location shooting, despite Zhao and a great Manga-esque villain and even despite the Michelle Yeoh cameo and the presence of the ever-wonderful Zhou Xun it wasn't all that good. The film relied too much on excessive and sometimes painfully tacky CGI (the cliff fight scene between Zhao and Jay "God Of Wushu" Chou was a real spoiler for me!) and the utterly unfitting, out-of-the-blue final boxing ring showdown felt like a cheap and forced compromise to audience and / or investor expectations.

True Legend didn't do much for me either. The fight scenes with Andy On are about it, nothing more.

I think the best thing for Donnie to do now is to come out with a statement or at least apologize to Zhao. Ignoring these public statements (regardless if they are true or false) will only damage his own reputation, the local fan base will decrease, and the scandal will haunt him for the rest of his career. At worst case (theoretically), he would have to retire to make it die down.