Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

36 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Wow, so he really is done with kung fu movies. Sad news.

Didnt Jet Li say a similar thing after his last Once Upon A Time China appearance?. WillIp an 4 be hist last period film Martial Arts film?. He's one of the most profitiable action stars right now, and he worked longer than most to get there. I just cant see him turning his back on it completely?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

Didnt Jet Li say a similar thing after his last Once Upon A Time China appearance?. WillIp an 4 be hist last period film Martial Arts film?. He's one of the most profitiable action stars right now, and he worked longer than most to get there. I just cant see him turning his back on it completely?.

Jet Li did the same thing after Fearless and pretty much stuck to it. I'm sure Donnie will do modern action films, perhaps with some of his traditional MMA choreography. I'm just sad he won't do traditional kung fu films as they really do seem to be a dying sub genre of martial arts cinema.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm sure Donnie will do modern action films, perhaps with some of his traditional MMA choreography. I'm just sad he won't do traditional kung fu films as they really do seem to be a dying sub genre of martial arts cinema.

Hi @Drunken Monk he's no intention of stopping making contemporary actioners with Raging Fire in pre production?. Or have they already filmed this title?.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @Drunken Monk he's no intention of stopping making contemporary actioners with Raging Fire in pre production?. Or have they already filmed this title?.

I think he'll stick to the modern action films. I don't see him dropping those any time soon.

• Like 2

At this point in current era, I think the kung fu genre is dried out the same way as westerns, samurai, and wu xia genres. All the great film-makers have contributed so much for the genres that successors have squeezed out pretty much all themes and ideas there is for these types of movies and reused them over and over. Unless there are new ideas and fresh approaches, I think these genres will continue to be in this recycled state. I believe this is where Donnie feels that he's done enough for kung fu movies that he doesn't feel like contributing anymore because he's got nothing more to offer that is any different from all the classics made before.

That said, I'm thrilled that Donnie is open for different kind of movies and that he's shifting his focus on contemporary action movies, which is something he's been absent from for the most part since becoming big with Ip Man. Donnie may have become a global screen icon playing Yip Man but he first made a name for himself doing modern actioners. So I'm all welcomed by movies like Raging Fire and other upcoming projects he has lined up.

• Like 2

I've always preferred his period films to his contemporary action movies. I thought The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia were truly underrated efforts. But I do respect his need to move on. As @DiP said, Donnie's contributed his fair share of classics to the period kung fu sub genre. Besides, he widely recognized for his MMA infused style of choreography these days (even if Special ID and Big Brother were duds).

I'm excited to see what happens in his future. I'm sure he wants to steer away from the path carved out by the likes of Jackie Chan; who's only tarnishing his legacy with his latest output.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I thought The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia were truly underrated efforts.

Not yet got round to viewing The Lost Bladesman but I really struggled to get to the end of Wu Xia. Recall some exceptional chroegprahy in part's, but the overall film lost me. I just wasn't a huge fan of the ending either. That said, I appalud Donnie Yen for trying something different with Wu Xia, it just didnt work for me. Any of the other movies of his I've caught from the last decade, I've really enjoyed. Regardless of the time period their set in.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've always preferred his period films to his contemporary action movies. I thought The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia were truly underrated efforts. But I do respect his need to move on. As @DiP said, Donnie's contributed his fair share of classics to the period kung fu sub genre. Besides, he widely recognized for his MMA infused style of choreography these days (even if Special ID and Big Brother were duds).

I'm excited to see what happens in his future. I'm sure he wants to steer away from the path carved out by the likes of Jackie Chan; who's only tarnishing his legacy with his latest output.

Yes sir, right on. Wu Xia is a modern masterpiece that offered something different and great. I think the reason The Lost Bladesman gets alot of bad criticism is mainly because of Donnie (standing at 5' 8") portraying a character that was "supposedly" much taller. I think Donnie did fine and his fight choreography was top-notch and a class of its' own compared to the usual fare (wirework, dance-like/fluid flashiness). As for modern fight choreography, I'm pretty sure he's going to offer us something different this time with Raging Fire as I can't imagine him sticking to MMA forever too. 

• Like 2

Donnie on his latest movie Enter the Fat Dragon. His next project will be a geographical drama movie with director Law Chi-Leung (The Bullet Vanishes, The Vanished Murderer).

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/donnie-yens-enter-the-fat-dragon-premieres/

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2020/01/20200122-donnie-yen-tells-niki-chow-to.html

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Graeme Of Death

Just found this thread, I've still to buy some of the later Donnie films I was recommended like Flashpoint, Dragon, Special ID and Kung Fu Jungle. Get them eventually :)

Noticed this thread started as a bashing Donnie for his arrogance once. He does come across as one of the most arrogant Kung Fu stars ever. I don't doubt for a second that Jackie and Sammo etc aren't as arrogant but they're without a doubt more talented and do well to hide their arrogance with their good guy personas haha

I was watching the interview with him on the extras of the Iron Monkey blu ray and it's hilarious seeing him try to claim he was the real Wong Fei Hung in the film and that the young Fei Hung character is nothing really it was all about Donnie being Fei Hung.

There's an interview with him on the HKL In The Line of Duty DVD where I'm sure he pretty much just puts everyone down as well :)

• Like 1

Donnie has become one of China's biggest celebrities and the current king of Chinese/HK action movies in the past 15 years. In these 15 years, not only did he improve his acting skills but also matured alot as a person. I haven't seen or read recent interviews of him being arrogant, actually it's been the opposite (humble, detailed, funny, thinking highly of co-stars). I think when he was younger, he tended to be more rebellious and non-hesitant in saying and thinking what he believed in. To some people, that came off as arrogance when in actuality it was nothing more than self-values and opinions based on his foundation growing up in the States.

You want a kung fu star with an ego worse than Donnie... Just look at Conan Lee. :rofl

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

A great extended hour long interview with Donnie that takes in everything from John Wick 4 to action directing:

Edited by SamSeed
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, SamSeed said:

A great extended hour long interview with Donnie that takes in everything from John Wick 4 to action directing:

Great interview! At last, a long one too 👌

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DiP said:

Great interview! At last, a long one too 👌

I know! Scott Adkins better have him lined up for his Art of Action series soon!

• Like 4