Donnie Yen

Guest vlade2002

Found this line from the Wikpedia for "Seven Swords".

"During the shooting of the ending fight scene, Donnie Yen accidentally injured Sun Honglei near the eye after mistakenly assuming that Sun was trained in martial arts. Sun was rushed from Xinjiang to a hospital in Beijing on the night of 7 December."

How would Donnie not know one of the main actors on set was not a martial artist? His mistaken assumption almost cost someone their eye. Seems on every movie Donnie injures someone like he did recently with Mike Tyson. I know accidents are going to happen but if Donnie is as good as he says he is then I would think there would be less chance of injuries. Or maybe he just wants the world to know how dangerous of a fighter he really is so best to show the world by beating up his fellow actors on set.

Wikipedia... A site known for its' rich appointment of reliable sources. NOT. It's the first time I've ever heard of this but I see no source cited so anyone could've made that up. I also find it unlikely that Donnie would make assumptions on actors' onscreen fighting capabilities since he always researches on actors before deciding on who he wants casted in his movies for fight scenes.

As for Donnie injuring Mike's finger, it was accidental. The same way Donnie got injured by Max Zhang during the shooting of their climatic fight scene. You always get injured performing action scenes as it requires a high amount of stamina, precision, and execution for each take to get the most satisfying result. I don't ever recall stuntmen or martial arts actors making action movies saying that they've gone through the shooting process without being injured. Injuries are part of action movies so that's the price you pay.

Edited by DiP

If you thought these were bad injuries, remember what stuff they put their actors thru during the 80's and 90's. Just one of these where they almost burned Moon Lee and Sibelle Hu alive in "Devil Hunters". Maybe another reason for the use of CGI nowadays. Than again I don't think any highly paid actor would put themselves thru that kind of stuff anymore :tongueout

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Yen on his future as an actor and clarification of his purported retirement from kung fu movies.

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/film-tv/article/1892577/donnie-yen-talks-ip-man-3-star-wars-spin-and-his-final-kung-fu

Yen on shooting Rogue One, working with Mike Tyson on Ip Man 3 etc

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/donnie-yen-rogue-one-shoot-850941

Thank you for posting these. It doesn't surprise me Donnie filmed fight scenes for Rogue One. I would be lying if I didn't say it utterly delights me. 

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Donnie Yen and Mike Tyson star in the Hong Kong action film "Ip Man 3." Well Go USA

Donnie Yen 2

(Photo: Handout)

49 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 1 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Like much of Asia, Robert Downey Jr. and Mike Tyson really love watching Hong Kong action movie star Donnie Yen.

“I love them, too,” Yen says with a laugh. But he also knows that, even though he has appeared in a few big American movies — Blade II (2002) and Shanghai Knights (2003) among them — most of us don’t know the 52-year-old actor.

"Some of the films we do in this part of the world are not maximized to their potential" in the USA, he says. "Hopefully, things will change more.”

Maybe even this year: Yen stars as Silent Wolf, one of four martial arts heroes keeping a mystical weapon out of the hands of a villain, in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, a sequel to the 2000 fantasy hit that premieres on Netflix Feb. 26. And the Chinese-born actor goes galactic with Felicity Jones as part of a crew out to steal plans for the Death Star in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, in theaters Dec. 16.

Master Ip (Donnie Yen) prepares to take on a gang of

Master Ip (Donnie Yen) prepares to take on a gang of thugs in 'Ip Man 3.' (Photo: Well Go USA)

Before those, audiences can get acquainted with Yen in his new action film, Ip Man 3 (in theaters Friday). The latest in the Hong Kong franchise pits Wing Chun kung fu grandmaster Master Ip against a greedy property developer played by Tyson. (For those who want to have an Ip fest, 2008’s Ip Man and 2010’s Ip Man 2 are both streaming on Netflix.)

His goal was to never break big in Hollywood, though, or star in movies with mind-blowing kung fu moves. “I choose films that inspire others,” Yen says. “I choose films that carry a positive message that I feel the world needs."

Based on Bruce Lee’s real-life teacher, Yen’s Master Ip character really doesn’t want to have students or fight gangs of thugs 10 at a time — he just yearns to live a normal life. In Ip Man 3, however, when a situation arises where his family and his boys’ school are threatened, “he steps up and it just so happens he can kick butt,” Yen says.

Donnie Yen stars as Silent Wolf in the martial-arts

Donnie Yen stars as Silent Wolf in the martial-arts fantasy sequel 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny.' (Photo: Netflix)

With his films, Yen is pretty choosy. He turned down a role in Sylvester Stallone’s The Expendables 2, and it took producer Harvey Weinstein a good year to persuade him to do Crouching Tiger. “I don’t want to do films that are like something I’ve done for so many years, (with) swords and hair-blowing," Yen says. "But he came up with this idea of shooting it in English that was very refreshing.”

Doing a Star Wars movie wasn’t as hard a sell. Yen recalls watching the original 1977 movie in Boston’s Chinatown, where he lived as a teenager.

Yen already is ensconced in the Star Wars cone of secrecy. All he’ll spill is that his character “is definitely an important guy," he had fun doing it and “I will get some action."

Rogue One may be many moviegoers' introduction to Yen, though he has made 70 movies since 1984. “Time flies,” he says. “You get a couple pieces of white hair and you realize, oh, my goodness, you made another film.”

Donnie Yen (far right) stars with Diego Luna and Felicity

Donnie Yen (far right) stars with Diego Luna and Felicity Jones in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.' (Photo: Lucasfilm)

GD Y-Y

• Like 2

During a visit to the Spring Festival Flower market in Hong Kong yesterday, Donnie stated that he will take a break until April when he'll shoot a new Hong Kong movie, and will be choosing one out of seven Hollywood projects to star in after that.

http://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/entertainment/20170124/mobile/bkn-20170124031005937-0124_00862_001.html?eventPath=hk_entertainment&eventID=4028828d4d7616ee014d956d47a65e4b

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Due to the critical successes of Rogue One and xXx, Yen is currently negotiating with various Hong Kong producers of starring in domestic Hong Kong (yes, real Hong Kong movies) productions. He's also interested in moving into producing himself.

http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2017/03/20170309-donnie-yen-reshoots-without.html

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

After a half year-hiatus from movie-making, Yen is currently in Hong Kong working on a movie as a producer for his production company. There's no details on the project or whether or not Yen is acting in it.

• Like 1

Still nothing on the project or whether or not he's acting in it. He's got two additional projects for his production company he's working on at the same time.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Donnie Yen and John Woo at a recent press conference for the upcoming 2nd Macau International Film Festival which will open on December 8, and will see them both as two out of four ambassadors for the gala. This is their second meeting --- they met in the US in early 2000s for plans of a cancelled TV show titled Sinner with Donnie as the lead and John Woo as an executive producer --- and both praised each other and expressed interest in working together in the near future.

1104-00282-026b2.jpg?t=1509960816664

1e532484fd8e9950bab5a7d628a781f4.jpg

http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2017/11/20171104-john-woo-calls-donnie-yen.html

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1