• laagi

• PandaPawPaw

• Drunken Monk

• DragonClaws

On 4/18/2019 at 10:16 PM, Drunken Monk said:

tenor.gif

Need some hot sauce with that :bs_coveredlaugh:

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Some solid action in the latest episode. This show is getting better and better.

Agreed and to my pleasant surprise the latest episode didn't feature any "teenage wet dreams"; looking forward to the next one...

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Does anyone else feel the bad language is a little over the top i the show? Or is swearing a big part of Chinese culture? Every other word has some iteration of "fuck."

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does anyone else feel the bad language is a little over the top i the show? Or is swearing a big part of Chinese culture? Every other word has some iteration of "fuck."

Swearing was generally frowend upon when I lived in China and to be honest I think most cultures are similar in regards to this. Of course if you're out with your "gang" things might be different...

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 hours ago, laagi said:

Swearing was generally frowend upon when I lived in China and to be honest I think most cultures are similar in regards to this. Of course if you're out with your "gang" things might be different...

Mandarin and Japanese have very few swear words, but my understanding of Cantonese is it's pretty filthy, especially the Hong Kong people- Si fut Gwe (goes for the butt boy), Hok Gwe (Black boy) Bok Gwe (white boy) and so on. Mandarin films were considered classier, hence Cathay and Shaw brothers embraced the dialect. Golden Harvest and then Shaw Brothers reverting to Cantonese was part of a change in attitudes.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

The first episode was silly, with the star beating up a bunch of white dudes first thing off the boat from China. No way. If he looked at anyone funny, let alone raised his voice or his hands up, back on the boat. Immigration kicked an Okinawan Karate master back out of Hawaii just for looking tough, let alone raising his hands to someone. Also, the show is crawling with hot women, when the reality was there was something like one woman for one hundred Chinese. It's even covered in OUATC 5. They did not want them breeding and taking up root.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

PS I have to say, that Tornado kick he hit the Irish dude with was bad ass.

That was a cool kick, like to perform that one myself on my BOB striking dummy. Also like when Ah Sham does that rising kick directly behind his head and strikes someone like John Liu used to do in his movies.😎

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Really enjoyed Friday's episode. It was a nice detour from the main plot of the shot and gave us a nice western style episode. It also fleshed out Young Jun a little more; showing his sensitive side.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

On 4/27/2019 at 8:44 PM, laagi said:

Familiar face on the latest episode. No spoilers! Pretty mediocre overall.

54 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Really enjoyed Friday's episode. It was a nice detour from the main plot of the shot and gave us a nice western style episode. It also fleshed out Young Jun a little more; showing his sensitive side.

On 4/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The first episode was silly, with the star beating up a bunch of white dudes first thing off the boat from China. No way. If he looked at anyone funny, let alone raised his voice or his hands up, back on the boat. Immigration kicked an Okinawan Karate master back out of Hawaii just for looking tough, let alone raising his hands to someone. Also, the show is crawling with hot women, when the reality was there was something like one woman for one hundred Chinese. It's even covered in OUATC 5. They did not want them breeding and taking up root.

Ok, this is way down on my list of things to watch. However, being it is something I will want to seek out in the future. I'd just ike to ask everyone here one question.

Do you regard this is a Martial Arts show?.

This sounds like one dumb question but reason I ask, is becuase I've read and heard Jonathan Tropper say its not a MA show. During one of the recent interviews he did with Shannon Lee and Justin Linn. Now he looked at Shannon as he said this. Are the estate embrassed to associate with the Martial Arts film crowd?. My guess is they dont want to put off general fans of T.V and film, who might not seek out the MA genre. These being the people who would help to bring in the much lager viewng number's.

I just find it odd, for them to say such a thing. When the show was created by a Martial Artist, with the intention of showcasng his talents. His main talent being Martial Arts.

Inerested to hear peoples thoughts/opinions of people who watched the show so far.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Lot's of martial arts in the show, and the Kung Fu guys outclass all the white fighters, basically even dodging guns, etc. I think it's directed at old school fans, and it has a lot of skin. It's like Banshee with Kung Fu. So silly, and the fights are a combo of Wing Chun and Tae Kwon Do for the most part.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
6 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Lot's of martial arts in the show, and the Kung Fu guys outclass all the white fighters, basically even dodging guns, etc. I think it's directed at old school fans, and it has a lot of skin. It's like Banshee with Kung Fu. So silly, and the fights are a combo of Wing Chun and Tae Kwon Do for the most part.

Thanks for that.

Unlikley we will ever get to see BLs original un-edited script, impossible to say how much of this new show is actually his ideas?. It's very similar to another un-made BL movie idea, The Green Bamboo Warrior. At least in the premise of a Chinese character going to the states during the same era. Only to end up fighting with the local bad guy's, and winning over the locals.

Click on the link below, for more on The Green Bamboo Warrior concept/idea.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
14 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Do you regard this is a Martial Arts show?.

It's so weird. The opening credits would have you believe it's a flat out martial arts show a la Into the Badlands but it isn't really. It's a drama with some (at times heavy) martial arts elements. You do get at least one fight scene every episode but it's definitely not wall to wall action.

The good thing is that, unlike ...Badlands, the characters are pretty fleshed out and genuinely interesting. This show actually has me wanting to watch Banshee.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
27 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's so weird. The opening credits would have you believe it's a flat out martial arts show a la Into the Badlands but it isn't really. It's a drama with some (at times heavy) martial arts elements. You do get at least one fight scene every episode but it's definitely not wall to wall action.

The good thing is that, unlike ...Badlands, the characters are pretty fleshed out and genuinely interesting. This show actually has me wanting to watch Banshee.

Cool, thanks for your feedback @Drunken Monk, for a low budget series filmed in South Africa. They've done a damn good job of re-creating San Francisco, judging by the related content I have seen so far. Everyone among the cast looks like they are giving a 100%.

• Like 1

So who else watched the latest epsiode? Some pretty violent action in there. Otherwise felt like a needless filler for the upcoming episodes. Also what's up with this switching between cantonese and english!? It was ok at first but now it's at a point where it gets irritating.

Not gonna argue that the producers will go for historical accuracy but how likely would it be...

Spoiler

to see a chinese and his "white" lover run a saloon :rofl

I agree the actors are doing a good job. Some of the sets in this recent episode looked pretty cheap but then again; budget cuts. If the action stays solid and the story mildly entertaining, I'll keep watching!

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, laagi said:

Also what's up with this switching between cantonese and english!? It was ok at first but now it's at a point where it gets irritating.

I actually like that gimmick. It just reminds the audience that the character are actually speaking Cantonese. We're just hearing it in English. Granted, they've used it a lot but I think it helps newcomers understand what's going on when it comes to dialog. 

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

The best thing about this show so far is Hoon Lee.  Go watch him in Banshee if you haven't. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Friday’s episode was another solid one. The fights keep getting better and better. And the brutality of that moment. Oof!

• Like 1