Justin Lin's WARRIOR (2019) – based on an idea by Bruce Lee

mpm74

Documentary series, by Cinemax, on the up-coming Warrior series.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laagi

• PandaPawPaw

• Drunken Monk

• DragonClaws

DragonClaws

There's more action on display in this trailer @Drunken Monk, but it's still not that fight heavy. Too early to judge the series though, it's not even out yet.

Thanks to CityonFire.Com, for the head's up on this latest trailer.

• Like 1

DragonClaws

c57c52fb-7625-42dc-b996-27f124984958_800

'Warrior': Cinemax's series follows the secret society of the Tongs as they battled for territory and control in Chinatown

Link- https://meaww.com/warrior-season-1-cinemax-tong-wars-true-story-jonathan-trooper

Andrew Koji, is one of the latest actors, to bring a BL inpsired character to life, in Warrior.

WARRIOR_5.jpg

MV5BMDExNTIwM2ItOTJmNy00M2RhLTlhOTMtMzdl

la-et-mn-warrior-bruce-lee-cinemax-sneak

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Recent interview with Andrew Koji, who plays the main character Ah Sahm in Warrior - https://screenanarchy.com/2019/04/andrew-koji-talks-cinemaxs-new-martial-arts-series-warrior.html  

"They were looking for an actor who could also do some martial arts and there were a few of us under consideration.  I didn't think it would go my way but something just clicked when the audition happened."  The interview includes more, about his earlier career, how he prepared for his role in Warrior, about his character Ah Sahm, and the TV series.   

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

"Highly choreographed fights break out with regularity, mostly to show off the cocky brilliance of Ah Sahm (Andrew Koji) and to establish who’s who in the dusty, still wild streets of 1870s San Francisco. There are other brawls, too, like the bare knuckle dust-ups favored by the city’s Irish population — headed up by Dean Jagger’s corrupt Dylan Leary — and some bloodier battles that involve sharper instruments, like knives and, yes, hatchets".

Warrior Review: Cinemax Unleashes A Pulpy Martial Arts Period Drama

Link- https://screenrant.com/warrior-series-premiere-review-cinemax-martial-arts-bruce-lee/

‘Warrior’ Review: A Bruce Lee Vision Brought to Vivid Life

Link- https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/warrior-cinemax-review-815723/

Joe Taslim as Li Yong and Andrew Koji as Ah Sahm in 'Warrior.'

WAR_101_11-09-17_GB_4746.jpg?crop=900:60

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
21 hours ago, rdenn said:

quite enjoyed the 1st episode, the actual fights are quite grounded not one floaty wire in sight.

How did you get a sneek peak at the series @rdenn?, I think it premieres online today?.

I'm here to give my :BL-ThumbsUp:

I really enjoyed the show. Only wish I could binge it like I do Netflix series. Looking forward to the next episode.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
2 minutes ago, rdenn said:

watched it on showbox

It came out on th 5th right?, I've got my relase dates mixed up.

In 2015 David Koji starred in a martial arts short, Deep Pan Fury, made by indie director, Charlie Dennis.  "Deep Pan Fury is a short martial arts film about Katashi Kimoto, a young Japanese street fighter trying to change his ways.  After leaving his native Japan for a small English town, Katashi soon learns that Oni, a ruthless chinpira of the notorious 9th Shade Clan, has been extorting his Grandfather's struggling pizza shop.  Old Habits die-hard and Katashi finds himself fighting for a new cause.  Family honor."  More info here - https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/deep-pan-fury-watch-warrior-star-andrew-koji-slay-gangsters-in-this-incredible-martial-arts-action-short/  

Deep Pan Fury (20-minutes long) - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

I thought the first episode was great, but it wasn’t the fights that did it for me. They were fine but nothing memorable.

The characters, backdrop and plot was is really interesting though. These things combined with the solid action make this a must-watch for me going forward.

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker

First episode was good. The 2nd episode which just dropped last Sunday, I was forced to sit through a Joe Taslim sex scene.  That's not what I signed up for. I understand that this show is on skinimax but the main selling point is the damn show is written and created by Bruce Lee.  

• Like 3

Only watched the first episode so far. It's decent! Andrew Koji is great, which can't be said for the rest of the cast. Especially the female characters are pretty awful.

Also what's up with the obsession for nudity and gratitous sex scenes? Do we really need this in every (adult) TV show nowadays...

Gonna keep watching as there is still a lot of room for improvement. Let's hope it picks up!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

I think nudity is a trademark of Cinemax. Not only that but Johnathan Tropper wrote the show and he seems to like his nude scenes. From what little I've seen on Banshee (which he also wrote), there seemed to be a slew of scantily clad ladies in that one too.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm fine with nakedness. As long as it isn't too egregious. So far, I've liked the balance of plot, violence and smut.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
15 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

That's not what I signed up for. I understand that this show is on skinimax

1 hour ago, laagi said:

Also what's up with the obsession for nudity and gratitous sex scenes? Do we really need this in every (adult) TV show nowadays...

Skinimax LMAO.

I've never watched any of their shows, do they use the age old trick of using sexulaised nudity to help with the ratings?.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I've never watched any of their shows, do they use the age old trick of using sexulaised nudity to help with the ratings?.

Everyone does. Even Game of Thrones, a show that certainly doesn’t need a ratings boost, gives us gratuitous nudity.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Everyone does. Even Game of Thrones, a show that certainly doesn’t need a ratings boost, gives us gratuitous nudity.

That's exactly my problem with these shows. I'll be the last to complain about some boobies, but just for the sake of it...

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
6 hours ago, laagi said:

That's exactly my problem with these shows. I'll be the last to complain about some boobies, but just for the sake of it...

Take it with a pinch of salt. As much as I don't care for the "Tits out for lads" tactic of selling a product, they do have to cater to all audiences. That includes giddy teenage boys who get an erection at the sight of half a nipple.

• Like 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

Here is the hilarious part! The female badasses would simply not exist, especially the whores, etc. Why? Foot binding was done to 100% of upperclass women, and men found the smell of rotting feet intoxicating in Chinese culture at the time, so the hookers all would have been bound up. My grandmother inlaw had bound feet (never met her).  So, good luck kicking ass! Lol! It's one thing to have a country girl character or daughter of a security company owner (both working class) but upper class and prostitutes would be in the bound category. I honestly believe Chinese film makers are very embarrassed about this, so you really don't see it much, especially with the cultural revisionism we see in the films today.

"The practice possibly originated among upper class court dancers during the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period in 10th century China, then became popular among the elite during the Tang dynasty, eventually spreading to all social classes by the Qing dynasty. Foot binding was practised in different forms, and the more severe form of binding may have been developed in the 16th century. It has been estimated that by the 19th century, 40–50% of all Chinese women may have had bound feet, and up to almost 100% among upper-class Chinese women.[1] The prevalence and practice of foot binding however varied in different parts of the country."

• Like 2