Justin Lin's WARRIOR (2019) – based on an idea by Bruce Lee

mpm74

1 hour ago, PandaPawPaw said:

"Trivia: The Irish bar is named "The Banshee." Series creator and writer, Jonathan Trooper, also created and wrote the TV series "Banshee", which also aired on Cinemax. Both series also starred Hoon Lee and had episodes directed by Loni Peristere."

Full of knowledge I am. :D

impressive darth vader GIF

• Haha 1

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laagi

• PandaPawPaw

• Drunken Monk

• DragonClaws

Caught up with the latest episode, and I really enjoyed it. Come to think of it, every episode leading up to it has been entertaining as far as story progression goes. Of course, there's some things that I wished to see more (other than just action scenes). This is where my negativity goes to... 

Spoiler

Killing off supporting characters that showed good potential to stay on the show longer. Kong Pak, the mute fighting girl, Father Jun...

Maybe the producers have realized that the show can't go on for much longer, and felt the need to peak right away? I'm hoping for the best, to see the main thing (Ah Sahm reuniting and teaming up with his sister, and the heat that comes with it) culminate to my satisfaction. The last episode better give us more action  because where the story keeps getting better and interesting, the action has yet to reach the same level

Spoiler

(the bar fight was a good sign though).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, laagi said:

@PandaPawPaw we both know there's only one thing or should I say one person that can save Warrior now.

11896354-895194437235155-141375353058061

:oErrrrr................I'll see you next Thursday....................got stuff to do.................................

closing-the-door-josh.gif

• Haha 1

Also any thoughts on the

Spoiler

Bar Stomp face smash thing? I thought it was great/brutal but also really jarring as it didn't match the rest of the series in terms of violence levels.

Almost like they had been given a rule of only 1 really violent scene in this series and they used it there.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Also any thoughts on the

Reveal hidden contents

Bar Stomp face smash thing? I thought it was great/brutal but also really jarring as it didn't match the rest of the series in terms of violence levels.

Almost like they had been given a rule of only 1 really violent scene in this series and they used it there.

Agreed. It did feel a bit out of place since we weren't given anything similar in terms of violence up to this point. One could go as far as saying they only put it in for "shock value". Which would be pretty lazy. 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I thoroughly enjoyed the latest episode but it had one massive issue in my eyes. The character death we get early on in the episode had no emotional weight whatsoever. To make matters worse, I think that character had LOADS of potential so seeing them go has me a bit miffed. Plus the death was off screen so again, no weight.

I still don’t see how they’ll wrap this up in one more epiaode. I’m sure we’ll get a big ice factory fight but will it be enough to satiate our hunger for action? Maybe, we’ll see.

The final moments of the episode were fantastic (though much too short). And that death scene was the action highlight of the series this far. I don’t think it was uncharacteristic. I think it showed him finally unraveling; letting the beast out of the cage, if you will.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Plus the death was off screen so again, no weight.

That was SO stupid! I was literally screaming at the screen.

Also for what it's worth and I'm sure @PandaPawPaw will confirm or appreciate this. I re-watched episode 1 of season one and it had more sex and violence then this entire season!

Especially the fight between Ah Sahm and Li Yong just felt different. Like you could actually feel those kicks and punches. While this season it's more like a poor man's copy of the aforementioned. Save the one fight we got from Leary.

I'm really curious if they'll finally take it up a notch with this last episode but at least to me it might be too little too late.

• Like 2

I loved this episode too even tho this season is nowhere near as cool. How did the producers manage to make Leary a cool character after being the most hated character? I don't know. But seeing him unhinged was on another level. 

At this point I just wanna see Ah Sahm kick some ass. The whole Ah Sahm vs hop wei seems like a pretty cool idea, and it's about time he breaks away from gang life. He's nowhere near as evil or naive as his sister (who got bit in the pond and ruined her own tong). Let's see what this final episode holds. Me personally, I'll just take it as is- as long as Young Jun or Hong don't get killed

• Like 1

Spoiler

First 20 mins was boring and it didn't get much better. I didn't care for the ep at all. The Sahm/Hop Wei fight was badly filmed. Too much close up and no tension. It all ended rather fast.

The Ah Toy fight was a let down. It was made to feel like a big thing in the trailer.

Mai had become irritating so I didn't care what happened to her and was hoping she was dead.

Last six mins or so was good. Wang being killed sucked!

Ugh at the Reservoir Dogs dogs tune playing at the end. It seemed out of place even if it was in Mandarin.

FUCK S4.

AjarWeightyChickadee-size_restricted.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

25mins in and meh.................

Agreed. For a season finale THIS was utterly underwhelming. However I will say that despite a lot of flaws this season it did somewhat end on a mild high note.

Half of the finale was actually pretty good. Although one could feel how rushed some of the sub plots were brought to a conclusion or possible continuation. Like I said before the entire season was just too convoluted to begin with. More doesn't always mean better.

If they would've just put the focus on one story and have the sub plots compliment it I would've been far more invested. For what it is I rarely cared for any of the story let alone the characters. It was just so much back and forth at one point I just gave up.

One of the many things that bothered me was the action, even in the finale. For the life of me I can't pinpoint it but everything about it feels "weak".

There was literally one kick I felt had any sort of impact during the climatic fight scene. It's also disappointing to think about all the talent in front and behind the camera. It's as if someone behind the scenes put the breaks on it.

Same goes for the nudity. Perfect example for the "big" reveal surrounding Catherine Archer (remember her?). The way they perfectly covered up her boobs was ridiculous.

I'd love for someone to point out one memorable moment or even character this season? I have nothing and that says something. Maybe Leary re-arranging the gentlemen's face at his bar. But that was simply because of the visceral violence.

Oh yeah did I mention Mark Dacascos was part of season three as well just thought I'd put it out there again.

In the end I will say that season three at least to me overall is a disappointment. There's few things I've enjoyed but they are far and few between. I still can't believe they (again whoever they are) somehow managed to fuck this up.

Let's see if we'll get another season and hopefully they'll get back on track if they do.

BTW @PandaPawPaw I don't think

Spoiler

Chao

is dead. I mean at least it wasn't confirmed.

• Buddha Bless You 2

32 minutes ago, laagi said:

BTW @PandaPawPaw I don't think

Reveal hidden contents

Chao

is dead. I mean at least it wasn't confirmed.

Spoiler

He's got to be! Ain't no man who could survive that!

Though this is Warrior after all so you're probably right. :P

I was wondering how much input Shannon has in the show?

• Like 1

Reveal hidden contents

He's got to be! Ain't no man who could survive that!

Though this is Warrior after all so you're probably right. :P

Spoiler

He had his last breath off screen so there's your answer. Besides I doubt they'd get rid of an important character in such a fashion. Especially since he's been able to avoid certain death more than once this season.

I was wondering how much input Shannon has in the show?

That's a fair question. The entire series is based upon her late father's writings. So my take is she has her fair share of say. Although and I'm really not a fan of hers. I never felt that there's anything which would somehow connect to the Lee enterprise being shoved in our face. Besides the references and easter eggs here and there.

Speaking of which having thought a bit more about this season. I really feel like what they tried to do is appeal to a wider audience. Make it more salable to certain demographics. For somebody not familiar with Martial Arts (cinema) I'm sure they'll get their kicks (and punches) out of it.

As for a lot of us "veterans" maybe we've simply seen too much to still appreciate certain things. Or in other words our expectations are just much higher then the one's of the average streaming content viewer.

However, I'm sure that anyone who watched S01 & S02 can spot the differences to this season. And I don't like it, plain and simple! But again that might just be me. I'm glad for everyone who can enjoy this season of Warrior. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, laagi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He had his last breath off screen so there's your answer. Besides I doubt they'd get rid of an important character in such a fashion. Especially since he's been able to avoid certain death more than once this season.

That's a fair question. The entire series is based upon her late father's writings. So my take is she has her fair share of say. Although and I'm really not a fan of hers. I never felt that there's anything which would somehow connect to the Lee enterprise being shoved in our face. Besides the references and easter eggs here and there.

Speaking of which having thought a bit more about this season. I really feel like what they tried to do is appeal to a wider audience. Make it more salable to certain demographics. For somebody not familiar with Martial Arts (cinema) I'm sure they'll get their kicks (and punches) out of it.

As for a lot of us "veterans" maybe we've simply seen too much to still appreciate certain things. Or in other words our expectations are just much higher then the one's of the average streaming content viewer.

However, I'm sure that anyone who watched S01 & S02 can spot the differences to this season. And I don't like it, plain and simple! But again that might just be me. I'm glad for everyone who can enjoy this season of Warrior. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

I've never liked the whole BL connection to Warrior as yeah it's loosely based on a concept by BL but it feels incredibly forced and just a way to use his name for clout.

I looked on Wiki and S1-S2 were on Cinemax as S3 was on Max. I wonder if they have different guidelines on what can be shown?

Nah mate S1 and S2 were hard hitting and loads of knockers! S3 had none of it apart from the bar mouth punch thing and the odd boob.

They didn't even spare the hot lesbian action!

200w.gif?cid=790b7611z9ppp10dqh5ilpoztzx

:(

• Haha 1

Yeah maybe they were trying to make it appeal to a wider audience, and not just straight males who like people kicking each other and naked women. I don't know, I haven't seen this season and don't intend to after reading the reviews on here.

1 hour ago, rdenn said:

what is with all the kissing in the street scenes in this season ?  this finale was so weak 

Not that it matters since its fictional. But I'd be curious to know if it was fashionable let alone legal to show any kind of affection in public during that time period. But then again it's San Francisco so what the F do I know... :laugh

• Like 1