Justin Lin's WARRIOR (2019) – based on an idea by Bruce Lee

mpm74

Justin Lin (Fast and Furious) is attached to produce and possibly direct Warrior, a series that Deadline describes as a visceral crime drama that traces the path of a gifted but morally corrupt fighter thrown into crisis after a lifelong quest for vengeance is undermined.

Warrior is based on Lee’s writings which never saw the light of day until after his death in 1973, until they were discovered by Shannon Lee, daughter of the iconic film legend.

http://www.cityonfire.com/justin-lin-to-shoot-bruce-lee-project-warrior/

• Like 2

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laagi

• PandaPawPaw

• Drunken Monk

• DragonClaws

ShaOW!linDude

Argh!!!! Don't do this thru Cinemax! Do it thru HBO or Netflix!!!! I don't subscribe to Cinemax and I certainly don't want to add to my cable bill.

I like the premise. Seems like a good starting basis. If they establish an ending and develop strong scripts that move towards it with robust MA fights in each episode, this could be epic.

• Like 1

Phantom Dreamer

"The Warrior" has earned a straight-to-series order for 2017-18 on Cinemax.

"Warrior”: Based on an idea by the late Bruce Lee, the series is set in San Francisco’s Chinatown in the 1870s and centers on a newly arrived immigrant (and “martial arts prodigy”) who goes to work for a powerful crime family. Lee’s daughter, Shannon, and Justin Lin are among the executive producers; Jonathan Tropper (“Banshee”) is the showrunner.

Per TV By the Numbers

• Like 1

While this Bruce-Lee-inspired tong wars series is set in San Francisco Chinatown, it is not connected with the Tong Wars series in development for Amazon.  That series is also set in San Francisco Chinatown, but is written by Paul Attanasio and being directed by Wong Kar Wai.  Info from -  

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amazon-armisen-rudolph-wong-1202552683/

I also wonder what effect two different Tong Wars series will have on another Tong Wars project, a feature film, Hatchet Men, based on the book Hatchet Men: The Story of the Tong Wars in San Francisco's Chinatown, a book by Richard H. Dillon, published in 2012.  Will Yun Lee is to star as Little Pete, a historical Chinatown figure around 1900.  This project is listed as Hatchet Men, a project in development with no names attached, on IMDB.  The Hatchet Men movie info with names attached (news released a year ago) is from -

http://deadline.com/2016/11/hachet-men-book-chinatown-tong-wars-to-get-feature-treatment-will-yun-lee-1201847326/

• Like 3

UPDATE: With production set to start on October 22nd, the full cast of WARRIOR has been announced. Taking on the lead role is ANDREW KOJI who is best known for the martial arts short ‘Deep Pan Fury’. Koji will play ‘Ah Sahm’, “a martial arts prodigy who travels from China to San Francisco and ends up becoming a hatchet man for the most powerful tong in Chinatown”. He is joined by ‘The Raid’ actor JOE TASLIM (Fast & Furious 6) as ‘Li Yong’, “a tong Lieutenant and kung fu master”.

Rounding out the cast is OLIVIA CHENG (Netflix’s Marco Polo), JASON TOBIN (Pound Of Flesh), DIANNE DOAN (Descendants), KIERAN BEW (Green Street), DEAN JAGGER, JOANNA VANDERHAM (Banished), TOM WESTON-JONES (BBC’s Copper), HOON LEE (TV’s Banshee), LANGLEY KIRKWOOD (Dredd), CHRISTIAN MCKAY (Rush), and PERRY YUNG (John Wick: Chapter Two).

Producer JUSTIN LIN stated: “The martial arts genre a lot of times has been relegated to B-level action. And that’s not something we wanted to do. Going off of Bruce Lee’s original material, we wanted to build something that is character-driven, that has important themes and that also takes place in a part of American history that rarely gets talked about. That to me makes it something you haven’t seen before.”

From Deadline, via M.A.A.C, Link- http://www.maactioncinema.com/archives/5906

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

In reality, many of the martial arts practitioners of the past were thugs. Not all, but sort of a cops and criminals breakdown. The average person would be too busy trying to earn a living, and tons of manual labor and long hours would not exactly leave time to go to the gym like we would today. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The average person would be too busy trying to earn a living, and tons of manual labor and long hours would not exactly leave time to go to the gym like we would today. 

True, unless you born into a family, whos lively hood was Martial Arts, or you had a talent for fighting, and wanted to make living doing it.

I think we will be getting more productions from the Estate, ith the word, based on a script or idea by BL.

• Like 3

Phantom Dreamer
4 hours ago, Phantom Dreamer said:

Perhaps the people are ready for a full length, old school, hand drawn, Game of Death cartoon to be produced, to complete the Game of Death, the right way. $$$

784ee7eee9ae6593fd589839cbae3f0f.jpg

This is the direction 'The Warrior' should have went in IMO. That would probably eliminate on-camera roles for the Asian actors & actresses, but it would probably be more successful. Imagine a cartoon Bruce Lee in the lead? Much better than CGI or god forbid, another actor who could never compare. It had to be done right, with the right intentions, coming from the right place. An adult cartoon, to change the landscape for the better. Art, real art.

• Like 3

Yeah i also don't know how I feel about this. Idk if Bruce was into Ma Yongzhen's legend or what but this seems like another retelling of Ma Yongzhen in a way.

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
58 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I need to see a smidgen more action.

How about some actual action. I didn't see anything in that but some posing.

• Like 2

They must be confident about this series, their already casting/filming the second series, before the first one's out. Guess test audiences gave a positive reaction?.

49351181_2240983095946818_11282779443350

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

From https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/dustin-nguyen-to-join-warrior-and-my-wife-is-a-gangster-remake/ -  Dustin "Nguyen, who last directed his own Stephen Chow homage with last year’s 798Muoi is additionally on par to possibly soon direct episodes for Cinemax series, Warrior; The show’s forthcoming first season is yet to be dated while a second season is now stirring things over on the show’s Cape Town set in South Africa.  Nguyen will also join the cast for the new season in which I am also told that he will be playing 'a very cool antagonist' opposite the show’s star, Andrew Koji (Deep Pan Fury)."  According to IMDB, Dustin Nguyen plays a character named Zing in three episodes of the first season of Warrior.   

• Like 2

Is it me or have the trailers for this been pretty low on action? I mean, for a show called Warrior based on Bruce Lee's writing they haven't really shown much martial arts. I have my fingers crossed for it having some strong action.

• Like 1