Tiger Boy (1966) Lost Jimmy Wang Yu Movie

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Jimmy directed them in The Chinese Boxer (1970). Had the chance to buy the SS issue which featured Tiger Boy but didn't pull the trigger.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

Who can predict what they will restore? There is a copy at HK Film Archive. Film was in Black and White, so I don't know if they feel this is commercial viable at Celestial. a few thousand fans who might be interested, and a few 100 that MIGHT buy a DVD? Not exactly a cash cow. Most people like the gory venoms movies etc these days. Whoever is back in Asia doing these is going to look at what sold and what did not. There are several lost co productions- Imperial Tomb Raiders, The Boxers, Champion of Champions, The Champion and a few others that are non martial arts.

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon

I think the copy at the HK Film Archive is taken from a vhs copy from a television broadcast.  Since around 2003 when Celestial picked up the SB catalog, the copy at the HK Film Archive has come up several times.  I've heard a bunch of people say they've asked about it and it doesn't exist.  I believe it was Linn Haynes that said he'd contacted them and they had a copy taken from television.  I tend to believe this one just because LH was such a big contributor here.  I have no direct knowledge though. 

the movie was an experiment so they gave CC cheap film to work with.  Supposedly the film disintegrated partly because of the cheap materials.  A lot of SB catalog was in poor shape when they started restoring them, there are a ton of SB movies from this era that didn't survive.  The state of Tiger Boy is the one that has been commented on the most since several people have asked them about it over the years.  If Celestial had a copy of the film that could be restored I'm certain that they would, it's the only CC movie (from SB) that they didn't manage to save.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Chemical Lemon said:

The state of Tiger Boy is the one that has been commented on the most

If I remember well there was a site dedicated to the Shaws' movies that is now defunct and where I had read for the first time comments on movies such as Tiger Boy, Mid-Nightmare, the Champion of champions, Enchanted chamber, Mission impossible and maybe a few other ones.

It was said there that there were bootlegs VHS of these movies in countries such as Thailand (at least for Tiger Boy for this country, still if I remember well), but I don't know until which point this site was reliable...

And it's shortly after that that I began to look for these rare Shaws and that I found all the titles I mentioned, except Tiger Boy and Mid-Nightmare.

I recently got contacts with a Pakistanese company which had mentioned the Shaw's movies The gourd fairy and A song to remember in their catalog, and when  I asked about these two movies, they told me that their catalog was made of titles that have been released at a moment or another either as VHS or vcds or TV  or shown in cinemas.

They have asked their suppliers but it seems that these movies are lost, but according to their rules regarding what they mention in their catalog, it seems that at least in this part of the world, The gourd fairy and A song to remember have been released, maybe on tv...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 5

I just found an article on baike about this movie, and it's nowhere mentioned that the film has been lost, nor not restored, nor whatever else...

And there is an interesting comment by Chang Cheh about it.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=fr&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E8%99%8E%E4%BE%A0%E6%AD%BC%E4%BB%87/3461871&xid=17259,15700021,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700186,15700190,15700201,15700208&usg=ALkJrhj5AAC1G_wzT0m0VIlfuNAw4yX9jA

In case of the tranlsated link wouldn't work, I try to copy/paste the page here :

Tiger heroes

"Tiger Heroes and Enemies " is a Hong Kong martial arts film directed by Zhang Che, starring Zheng Lei , Qin Ping , Luo Lie , Du Juan , Wang Yu , Tang Di, Feng Yi and Wu Ma .

"Tiger Heroes and Enemies" can be regarded as the virgin work of movie star Wang Yu . In order to play the role of "Thunder Tiger" in the film, under the guidance of the martial arts, Wang Yu worked hard to practice martial arts , so he was well received in the performance of the film. .

Chinese name

Tiger heroes

Foreign name

Tiger Boy

Production area

Hong Kong

Guide

Zhang Che

Screenplay

Zhang Che

Types of

Kung Fu / Martial Arts

Starring

Wang Yu , Zheng Lei , Qin Ping , Luo Lie , Du Juan , Wu Ma , Tang Di, Feng Yi

Length

96 minutes

release time

February 16, 1966

Dialogue language

Mandarin

table of Contents

1 video material

2 video introduction

video material

Chinese name: Hu Xia Qiu Qiu

Foreign name: Tiger Boy

Released: 02/16/1966

Director: Zhang Che

Screenwriter: Zhang Che

Production company: Shaw Brothers

Producer Country/Region: Hong Kong Language: Mandarin Chinese Release Date: 1966-02-16
Length: Hong Kong: 96 minutes IMDb link: tt0058656 [1]  

video introduction

Stills

According to Zhang Che in his "Memoirs" (Edited by Huang Ailing): "The fourth part of "The Tigers and Enemies" (1966), only Shaw gave me a test, the conditions are very poor, the color film was popular at the time, and "Tiger The film is still black and white, and it can't enter the factory, but it is the first work of personal style." [1-2]  

Reference material

1.    Tiger heroes   . Douban movie [reference date 2013-05-03]

2.    Tiger heroes   . Tencent Entertainment [reference date 2013-05-03]

Entry label:

Action movies , film works , movies , entertainment works

Tiger Xia Qiu Atlas

Term statistics

Views: Times

Edits: 13 historical versions

Last updated: 2018-07-052018-07-05

Created by: SH Shamu

1 video material

2 video introduction

Ouch ! the pictures disappeared !

Here are they, but I'm sure that you ll already saw them elsewhere..

Stills

0df431adcbef76096a52fec12fdda3cc7cd99e16

• Like 5

I don't know since when, but there are other pictures of this movies that have been put on hkmdb.

Very interesting ones, that make me even more eager to find at least a bootleg of this movie some day somewhere...

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard

Will Chang Cheh first Martial Arts film never be seen again by human eye balls? I find it hard to believe there's not even at least one version out there that can't be viewed. Even if the quality is so bad it looks like it had been transferred from 10 different VHS tapes.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
19 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

I heard there is at least one copy out there, owned by a collector. Emphasis on "I heard".

If it's that Globe guy from South Africa I wouldn't put too much stock into it............

• Like 4

FightingFool

If it still exists(comments in vid suggest it does)  needs right person to talk hk people, his/her dedication for project and fair amount of money it to be released.

• Like 6

Iron_Leopard
3 hours ago, FightingFool said:

If it still exists(comments in vid suggest it does)  needs right person to talk hk people, his/her dedication for project and fair amount of money it to be released.

This I see a fantastic video. I'm only halfway through and I'm already learning a lot. Thank you for posting this.

• Like 4

Heard some rumors about it existing in an HK fillm vault, but until I actually see it, I'm considering it gone.....I guess that way I avoid disappointment.:)

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 9:50 PM, Killer Meteor said:

Wonder what I'll see first...this or LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT!

Ah, the 1927 Lon Chaney classic.  I remember the only "known" copy went up in flames during the MGM vault fire.  All of the nitrate created a flammable atmosphere.  If Tiger Boy does exist, I hope it turns up and gets restored...otherwise?????

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
4 hours ago, morpheus said:

Ah, the 1927 Lon Chaney classic.  I remember the only "known" copy went up in flames during the MGM vault fire.  All of the nitrate created a flammable atmosphere.  If Tiger Boy does exist, I hope it turns up and gets restored...otherwise?????

I thought the HK film archive held the ONLY print in existence?

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
7 hours ago, morpheus said:

I like the irony that LAM, nice and accounted for in a vault, is lost. Whereas Nosferatu, which was an illegal adaption ordered destroyed by the courts, survives in several prints!

• Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 5/18/2022 at 6:37 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I thought the HK film archive held the ONLY print in existence?

If they do have it then maybe there’s a way somebody could talk them into letting it be released to the public.  But there’s no way of knowing if other copies exist, unless all of the other prints known to have existed have been accounted for.  

I’m fine without seeing it.  I have a feeling that I’d enjoy it, but I’m not confident that it’s a good movie.  I am confident that it’s an important piece of a Chinese cinema.  I would definitely get it if it came in something like a Criterion first films from Chang Cheh box set, but I wouldn’t pay $30 for just Tiger Boy.  

• Like 2

BornToDefense

Is there any good database or book anywhere indicating when this (or any HK movies for that matter) was released in the markets outside of HK (particularly Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia)?

This movie had a 66 release in HK according to the HKMDB, after Temple of the Red Lotus and Twin Swords but before Magnificent Trio and Come Drink With Me. And it was referred to as already finished (along with Temple and Twin Swords) in the upcoming wuxia film slate in the Oct 65 (iirc) Southern Screen issue, when Shaws announced the "New Action Era".

But production coverage of Tiger Boy goes back to issues from 64, and Wang Yu says in one of his interviews with Frédéric Ambroisine (think on the Arrow One-Armed Boxer bluray) that it was his first film for Shaws, which contemporary coverage also indicates.

I'm curious just how much earlier of a release this got in test markets like Singapore and Malaysia vs in HK. And more abstract, how long the "New Action Era" was being planned before it launched at Shaws, if Tiger Boy was their test picture.

• Like 2