Tiger Boy (1966) Lost Jimmy Wang Yu Movie

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Tiger Boy is NOT listed in Jimmy's HKMDB page.

His first film in their list is: Girls of the Night (1972).

Jimmy was one of the producers.

http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/9227/GirlsoftheNight+1972-47-b.jpg

All this comes from Facebook's Asian Cult Cinema.

11219456_932044733525706_3218394842163161834_n.jpg?oh=f9b6b55fd62b4c9f96faeb16502727ff&oe=560160D3

More on Tiger Boy

There was some discussion on Facebook about the "lost" Tiger Boy (1966) and I was going to type up some passages from The Shaw Screen: A Preliminary Study (2003) and post these passages there. Then I thought "Maybe some other people would want to read about this lost film too."

And I think anyone who has read this blog recently knows that I am not a big fan of Chang Cheh. However, I would be interested in seeing Tiger Boy mainly because those traits that I don't like about director Chang Cheh would be less oppressive in his first film. I guess.

Pages 114-115:

Chang remembers fondly the freedom he enjoyed making Tiger Boy/Hu Xia Jian Chou (1966), which he says the company only considered an inexpensive experiment. It was shot in black-and-white and banished to the grounds outside the studio lot. Not given any stars, he cast a couple of newcomers by the names of Jimmy Wang Yu and Lo Lieh/Luo Lie. And he experimented, bucking the trends by going without a martial arts director, resulting in fight scenes that are less fantastical and, in his own words, " more real", with action that was "based on the physical ability of ordinary humans, only a little exaggerated". For example, when Wang's character has to scale a towering fence, instead of taking a flying leap as in other marital arts films, he shoots arrows into a wooden column to form a ladder on which to jump. Tiger Boy turned out to be a hit and Chang was anointed by the company to "usher in the wuxia era"...

Pages 135-136:

Tiger Boy is a low-budget production, shot in black and white with an original script penned by Chang himself. He confessed that he made it under "adverse conditions" and "because it was an experiment, the low budget was a condition given by the studio. I boldly broke down conventions, indeed going over the top, making it as a wholly experimental film. Not only were the actors all newcomers, I also decided not to use the usual crew of martial artists and martial arts director...we constructed sets on outdoor locations to heighten the sense of realism and assist flexible movement of the camera." Change has always admired Japanese cinema's forthright, fearless, and "atmospheric" depictions. These characteristics are aptly reflected in the film: the emphasis on location and atmosphere, the eerie angles of shots and compositions. As Chang himself said, "Tiger Boy, shot in black and white mainly on sets built on locations, used natural lighting. This cut down our limitations. The camera was empowered with a wider field of vision and broader choice of angles." Even though it was still an unripe product, it certainly did not lack new ideas. The film "was first released in Singapore and Malaysia, and scored a quick success...In Hong Kong, the box office overtook many of the colour films then released. This naturally boosted the studio's confidence in me, and I was given the green light to forge the 'wuxia century'"

Posted by: Glen kenixfan;

http://www.apessimistisneverdisappointed.com/2010/04/more-on-tiger-boy.html

Where are you Tiger Boy.

http://softfilm.blogspot.com/2009/05/where-are-you-tiger-boy.html

GD Y-Y

Tiger Boy is NOT listed in Jimmy's HKMDB page. His first film in their list is: Girls of the Night (1972).
You are looking at the films he produced. Scroll down and you will see the films he acted in below the list of films he directed.

Tiger Boy was released first in Singapore and Malaysia then after successful showings there, in Hong Kong in February 1966. It was Jimmy's third film for Shaws and first with Chang Cheh. In Chang's words it "was assigned to me as an experimental work". The studio did not want to spend a lot of money on it in case it flopped, so black and white film was used and Chang had to make due with a small crew and apparently the filming conditions on a location off the lot were sub-par. It was also the first film Chang directed that was in his own personal style. It was successful enough that the pairing went on to make 5 more films together in the next 2 years.

QUTG7pK.jpg

masterofoneinchpunch

EDIT: was beat to the punch; good post P'an ku

Tiger Boy is listed on the HKMDB page.

One mistake above in the first post: Tiger Boy is also not technically Chang Cheh's first directed film though his first solo-credited film.

I probably wasn't clear. I was saying it is Chang's first directed film in his personal style. Happenings in Ali-shan, Wild Fire and The Butterfly Chalice were admittedly all jobs he was assigned to and he had little or no control over the content.

masterofoneinchpunch
I probably wasn't clear. I was saying it is Chang's first directed film in his personal style. Happenings in Ali-shan' date=' Wild Fire and The Butterfly Chalice were admittedly all jobs he was assigned to and he had little or no control over the content.[/quote']

Actually I was writing about the first post not yours so you were clear. I was posting it while you were posting yours.

masterofoneinchpunch
If it was first released in Singapore and Malaysia, maybe we could find a trace of it there ?

This would be awesome to find this released. Film tends to do better in colder environments though so it would have to have been preserved somehow. It would be like the Metropolis find (though it was depressing to find out that the 32mm elements were destroyed.) Of course there are lots of silents I would love to be found (like London After Midnight) or John Woo's lost footage on several films would be great as well.

Killer Meteor

Has Celestial remastered any B&W Shaws? It could well be it's sitting in the vaults, but no-one has touched it yet.

Has Celestial remastered any B&W Shaws? It could well be it's sitting in the vaults, but no-one has touched it yet.
There are a few that were released by IVL. Rear Entrance (1960), Love Without End (1961) and Between Tears and Smiles (1964).

There is a copy of Tiger Boy known to exist and it resides at the Hong Kong Film Archive, but I don't know what the reason was for it not being included in the remasters. I can only guess that it was not in good enough shape.

Killer Meteor
There are a few that were released by IVL. Rear Entrance (1960), Love Without End (1961) and Between Tears and Smiles (1964).

There is a copy of Tiger Boy known to exist and it resides at the Hong Kong Film Archive, but I don't know what the reason was for it not being included in the remasters. I can only guess that it was not in good enough shape.

If it's a theatrical print, it may well have the Chinese/English subtitles on it.

masterofoneinchpunch
... There is a copy of Tiger Boy known to exist and it resides at the Hong Kong Film Archive' date=' but I don't know what the reason was for it not being included in the remasters. I can only guess that it was not in good enough shape.[/quote']

Do you have a source for this info? I check the HKFA database and no existing prints come up for that film. I also asked previous member Mark about this and he didn't think one was known right now (other than possibly Shaw Brothers or Celestial holding on to it.)

The HKFA print theory seems to have been debunked a few years back as no one has been able to verify this. I might be returning to HK in August and plan to stop in there.

ShawAngela

The defunct site Shaw Brothers reloaded said that there were bootlegs VHS of this movie, from what I remember...

Zhang Liao

Ah yes, Shaw Brothers Reloaded. It is a shame the site does not exist anymore.

Had been a member of the forum there.

Do you have a source for this info? I check the HKFA database and no existing prints come up for that film. I also asked previous member Mark about this and he didn't think one was known right now (other than possibly Shaw Brothers or Celestial holding on to it.)

The HKFA print theory seems to have been debunked a few years back as no one has been able to verify this. I might be returning to HK in August and plan to stop in there.

I looked through my notes to see if I could find a source, but couldn't find anything. I remember it was around the time that Celestial donated the Shaw library to the HKFA that I found out about it, so that would be in 2009. It is possible that new information regarding this has come out since then but I have not heard about it.

Tex Killer
The defunct site Shaw Brothers reloaded said that there were bootlegs VHS of this movie, from what I remember...

In my opinion what SBR said was crap. If such have existed sure they would have surfaced into wider circulation.

Didn`t same website also said celestial sponsor them or sth like that and it turned out to be bull?

Years ago there was this guy, I think he went by the pseudo of SHAWBOY who claimed to have a VHS copy of the film. He had a website, Everytime I asked him to show me proof he'd come back with BS about legal threats of Shaw Brothers & Celestial if he would do anything with it...... My conclusion was that he was full of shit.....

In my opinion what SBR said was crap. If such have existed sure they would have surfaced into wider circulation.

Didn`t same website also said celestial sponsor them or sth like that and it turned out to be bull?

Site of the infamous 16 Sparkling Diamonds Tour. :crossedlips:

Years ago there was this guy, I think he went by the pseudo of SHAWBOY who claimed to have a VHS copy of the film. He had a website, Everytime I asked him to show me proof he'd come back with BS about legal threats of Shaw Brothers & Celestial if he would do anything with it...... My conclusion was that he was full of shit.....

That was ShawScopeGuy. A troll amongst trolls.

Was Shaw Brothers Reloaded also the site that broke the news of the supposed upcoming Celestial releases of films like TKAM and Painted Faces?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Very interesting folks.

If anyone had this it most certainly would be BigRogie.

tigerboy_SSOct65.jpg

No more info on the WWW.

GD Y-Y

just thought I would throw this out there. if a copy or copies still exist of this movie the only reason it hasn't surfaced is simply because who ever has it does not want it to . it's like me waiting for 20 to 30 years to see some of the lost English dub shaws. finally after years of being told repeatedly that they no longer exist a number of them have shown up and the only reason they didn't before was the same thing---somebody was holding them back. just have to wait and see what happens. by the way I believe that TIGER BOY still exist somewhere.

• Like 1

When I think that we are missing THAT !!

It seems that these three were often teamed up in Shaws' movies, or is it just this lost movie and The magnificent trio ?

TigerBoy+1966-5-b.jpg

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 4