English titles?

Guest Le Peril Jaune

Guest Le Peril Jaune

I've just watched two early Wakayama Tomisaburo films, does anyone know if they have English titles or know what the Japanese titles mean?

Ningyo Sashichi Torimonocho:

www.neowing.co.jp/detailv...VPBT-15270

Hibari no Mori no Ishimatsu:

www.neowing.co.jp/detailv...=DSTD-2408

I liked the first one a lot, a whodunnit serial killer story with some primitive but nice fights, that Wakayama was a true martial artist really shows.

I wasn't too keen on the second one, Hibari's speaking voice (her character is a young man so she's trying to sound like one) irritated me so much that I couldn't get into the film. I'll give it a second chance some other day but that voice is one of the ugliest things I've ever heard:eek .

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Le Peril Jaune

Thank you for your replies.

Pressureworld, I'm sure it's not Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees, that film is from 1975 and, if the synopsis at Ninja Dojo is correct, the story is completely different. Ningyo Sashichi Torimonocho is from 1956 and is a detective story.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

Nobody knows the first one (Ningyo Sashichi Torimonocho Yoen Rokushi Bijin)? I'm curious to know why the tattoed ladies were murdered... Here's a previous release of the film with a different cover:

global.yesasia.com/jp/Prd...002796206/

Another film I've watched recently is Hibari Misora Edokko Kinsan Torimonocho from 1955, again Wakayama plays some sort of policeman. It starts with a spectacular murder of an actor who is shot during a performance while he is hanging above the audience. It's light on action but Wakayama does get to show off his impressive judo skills. The cover looks like this:

shopping.yahoo.co.jp/p:128359:domain=dvd

Again it would be a great help if anyone knows of an English title or a translation of the Japanese title.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

I've solved the mystery (;) ) of the first film (Ningyo Sashichi), it's called "Dandy Sashichi Detective Story: Six Famous Beauties" in English and was shown at this year's Berlinale, here's a link to the program description:

www.fdk-berlin.de/en/foru...uties.html

It was also at last year's HKIFF:

hkiff.org.hk/hkiff30/eng/...9&se_id=29

A very brief review:

www.rottentomatoes.com/vi...ublic&uc=0

Guest Le Péril Jaune

Been watching some more Wakayama films, again I'm missing an English title/translation:

The rise of a young brute in the yakuza world:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DSTD-2084

Part 6 of the Truck Yaro series (not off topic, it's contains a very nice fight between Wakayama and Sugawara):

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DSTD-2310

Archived