The Uncompleted Shaw Brothers Movie Thread

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thehangman

Didnt Hwang Jang lee start shooting another film for Shaws aswell that got scrapped?

The Drinking Knight, which, according to the text of the article, was supposed to be a sequel to Come Drink With Me.

First attempted in 1969 - 1970 by director Chiu Kang Chien with a cast consisting of Chung Wa, Chiao Chiao, Nam Gung Fan and Wang Hsieh.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=9213

bYR3kOj.jpg

UNtvCjZ.jpg

Then later on in 1970 - 1971 with a new director and cast: Pao Hsueh Li with Yueh Hua, Tina Chin Fei, Wang Ping, Richard Chan Chun, Lo Lieh and Yeung Chi Hing.

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=14184

Dl0IIAx.jpg

and Chor Yuen's Sign of the Eagle / Mark of the Eagle (1978 - 1981) with Fu Sheng and Ti Lung:

http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=15866

SNNGKD2.jpg

jJTQTl0.jpg

Didnt Hwang Jang lee start shooting another film for Shaws aswell that got scrapped?

Yes. The "tentative title" was 在黃金鎮的流血事件 (Bloodshed in Gold Town).

1080972_167776966748433_1322211439_n.jpg?oh=8af78c718ee6a331c12882a254cffc36&oe=555ACE3A

Well, what is the story with these films? Are the pictures from these unfinished filmed movies or from other films? Sign of the Eagle looks like it really would have been kick-ass! Are there some unreleased hidden gems in the Shaw vaults? What a selling point that would be. Celestial need to get busy and release some unseen/unfinished movies. :wink:

Secret Executioner

Hwang Jang Lee did movies with Shaw ? Now THAT is some nice news.

I think there was another unfinished Fu Sheng film that he was shooting around the time he passed away - or maybe it's a non-Shaw film ?

massa_yoda
Well, what is the story with these films?

I'm also curious about what happened to these films. The Drinking Knight sounded very interesting. I wonder why they couldn't be completed.

DragonClaws

I think there was another unfinished Fu Sheng film that he was shooting around the time he passed away - or maybe it's a non-Shaw film ?

A big missed opportunity there :sad: if only they had completed the HJL film. HJL backed by a decent director with the Shaw's production values would have been something to see.

Secret Executioner
Is it mentioned somewhere that the two Drinking knight movies weren't finished ?

Yup, somebody mentionned them earlier. :nerd:

ShawAngela

Of course, I saw Pan Ku's post. What I meant is on wich site is it mentioned that these movies were incomplete ? There is no mention of it on hkmdb and I had never heard of these ones as being incomplete.

Of course, I don't doubt of what Pan Ku's says, but I'd like to get more informations on this matter...

thehangman

Ghosts Galore and kid from Kwangtung where is other 2 he did with them

Of course, I don't doubt of what Pan Ku's says, but I'd like to get more informations on this matter...

Many Shaw incomplete films won't show up on a online database such as HKMDb.

Only through old Sou Screen and HKMN articles will they be mentioned.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Of course, I saw Pan Ku's post. What I meant is on wich site is it mentioned that these movies were incomplete ? There is no mention of it on hkmdb and I had never heard of these ones as being incomplete.

I found the ones I mentioned on Facebook.

GD Y-Y

God, Hwang Jang Lee in a Venoms movie would have blown my mind. I'm not 100% sure that the styles would've meshed, but I'd give my left nut to find out.

The Sword Hand

Unfinished film directed by Cheng Chang Ho in 1971 starring Ling Yun and Ivy Ling Po with Wang Hsieh, Chiu Hung and Wong Gam Fung.

Also mentioned in the article is the film "The Iron Palm" which Cheng was working on at the same time. Of course the name was changed and came to be known as King Boxer / Five Fingers of Death.

wdCpesm.jpg

TGkk6UZ.jpg

ShawAngela

Even if these movies were uncompleted, it would be great to see what has been already filmed in a kind of documentary...

Even if these movies were uncompleted, it would be great to see what has been already filmed in a kind of documentary...

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing the remaining footage with music over it or something like that.

The Girl of Ghost Valley

Directed by Yip Wing Cho (The Eunuch, Black Tavern) and starring Margaret Hsing, Wang Hsieh and Tin Ching, The Girl of Ghost Valley was to be an epic period action film about the Chinese defending themselves from the invading Mongols in 1267. Unfortunately it does not look like it was finished. There is no record of it showing in a theatre in Hong Kong. There is a copy of the script only in the Hong Kong Film Archive dated April 3, 1971.

Yip Wing Cho came to Shaws in the late 60's and worked as part of the crew and later as Assistant Director on 5 of Lo Wei's films. His first film for Shaws was the great The Eunuch (1971) Which came out in May of that year. I believe The Girl of Ghost Valley would have been his second film, but for whatever reason the project was dropped. After that he would direct the amazing Black Tavern (1972) and then leave Shaws to direct films for Golden Harvest, Far East Motion Pictures and Goldig, so based on his 2 completed films for Shaws, I think The Girl of Ghost Valley would have been another great success.

I don't know the reason he left Shaws, but it is possible, like many others, he was lured away by Golden Harvest. He is the son of Yip Yat Fong the famous screenwriter for Cathay and Shaws among others and who also wrote the screenplay for Black Tavern. Yip Wing Cho would later become known as a comedic actor in the 80's and 90's.

qUOjiPH.jpg

YVhaLuo.png

Very interesting information...and it's also very frustrating to discover another one which will never be seen nor released !! :monk_crying:

Red Line 7000

Been watching some of the Bond / 60's crime Shaws films lately and I came across this unreleased / unfinished Lo Wei film that I hadn't seen before. The title had been used before in 1965 for a racing film starring James Caan which seems unrelated to the plot of this film although it's hard to tell. As this article states, Paul Chang Chung came back to Shaws at Lo Wei's request to do this film. Speculation on HKMDb is that it might have been unfinished because Lo Wei left for Golden Harvest.

red line 7000.png

25 minutes ago, panku said:

Red Line 7000

Been watching some of the Bond / 60's crime Shaws films lately and I came across this unreleased / unfinished Lo Wei film that I hadn't seen before. The title had been used before in 1965 for a racing film starring James Caan which seems unrelated to the plot of this film although it's hard to tell. As this article states, Paul Chang Chung came back to Shaws at Lo Wei's request to do this film. Speculation on HKMDb is that it might have been unfinished because Lo Wei left for Golden Harvest.

red line 7000.png

I had seen this titles in the Shaws' filmography, and I also found some pictures of the movies on a taiwanese site, but I didn't know that it was an unfinished one...So frustrating, once again !!

Thanks for sharing.

Archived