Tomisaburo Wakayama: "The Greatest"

Guest Daisho2004

Guest kungfusamurai
I agree that Wakayama was probably the greatest on-screen swordsman. What always impressed me is how well he moved (quick, nimble, mobile, ect..) for a bigger guy.

Yes, GwailoMF, this is another reason why I really like Wakayama. No body doubles for him. He was doing his own flips and tumbles, which weren't on par with say, Sammo Hung, but for a guy in Japanese cinema, that was unbelievable. No other samurai wielding guy, other than Chiba - who had a gymnastics background, did any acrobatics or over the top tumbles. Wakayama was on fire!

I didn't know about the Bounty Hunter series. I liked Killer's Mission, even though it didn't have too much fighting. I'm hoping the TV series is more action packed.

I used to watch the LW&C series as Iron Samurai. Back in the day, I thought it was really cool, but then I watched it recently (the edited movie version, the name of which escapes me right now), and I just couldn't get into Kinnosuke's swordplay (or lack of) style. I just saw heavy edits to hide the fact that he's slow and not as skilled as Wakayama. That's why I'm not in a huge hurry to get the TV series.

KFS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

In certain episodes Kinnosuke's sword fighting does look a little slow, but in other episodes he looks lighting quick, and sometimes they use slow motion which I really don't like. But the series is good for what I've seen of it.

Guest Daisho2004

This was a post that was taken from Michaeltr over at the Dojo a very good one regarding the LW&C series.

Quote:

Actually the film series was canned because producer Katsu wanted to move the franchise to tv fast cheap and economical while big bro Tomisaburo wanted the films to be bigger and better re budget wise and the two brothers had another famous fight when Tomisoburo took his case to the media Katsu replaced him with Nakamura a great actor but unable to fight his way out of a paper bag a problem with most thespians from a Kabuki background. Kitaoji was also a decent Itto he can act and fight but he was a wee bit long in the tooth (age wise )for this role.

Guest KevinClo
Actually the film series was canned because producer Katsu wanted to move the franchise to tv fast cheap and economical while big bro Tomisaburo wanted the films to be bigger and better...

This is partly misleading. While Katsu produced the first three movies and went on to be involved in the tv series with Nakamura, the Lone Wolf movies DID continue on without Katsu as producer. It was damaging, but they did not just stop making them just because Katsu left. So, in theory, they could have kept going until the completion of the manga, but like I had already said the 70’s were seeing the end of the genre. Like westerns, it was a lot cheaper to move from the big screen to the small screen. Movie companies were just not investing in these movies like they had been.

KC

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Your right that the LW&C movies did not do well enough to continue making them

If they were not successful, how were they able to get 6 films made? Or did they just produce them so fast they didnt realize they werent popular? Doesnt make alot of sense to me. I could see making 1 or 2 then calling it quits. But making 6 films. Or did they start strong and slowly die off.

Guest Daisho2004

GLMF, good point I feel that they got better as they went a long all except for pt.#6 it was good but once it started with the Supernatural in lost its magic for me.

Guest KevinClo
If they were not successful, how were they able to get 6 films made?

The same way a lot of American sequels get made and then pretty much end. They made 4 of them really quick. Those were released in 1972 within in a few months time. The next two were released much later in 1973 and 1974. Again, remember that once we hit the early 70’s things start to change dramatically in regards to the genre on the big screen. Zatoichi went through the same phase where it finally ended and then went to the small screen. The movie companies just did not see these types of movies as worth the investment anymore. Even today this still exists in that we are lucky to get 2 big jidaigeki a year. Now, had these movies been made say 6-8 years earlier then it would have been different, but the manga started in 1970 so throw out that idea. Lol.

KC

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer
I thought I had always heard the LW&C movies were not very sucessful in Japan and people didn't really like Wakayama as Lone Wolf and that his role he's most famous for are his small comedic roles in the Red Peony Gambler series where he shows up out of nowhere and offers some comic relief and sometimes kicks some ass for about 10-20 minutes.

I can easily believe that he's more famous for RED PEONY GAMBLER in Japan. His comic performances in this series are brilliant, exuberant star turns. Also, he gets second billing in the second RPG movie despite only having less than ten minutes screen time.

Guest Daisho2004

This is a post that was quoted from Randy1974 over from the Dojo:

Quote:

Seriously, it must be said that on the DVD Extras for the USA release of Samurai Reincarnation with Chiba & Wakayma from the 1970's, that Sonny Chiba, makes it known that even he was in awe of Wakayama's screen presence and sword skills especially.Both practiced and trained seriously in the Martial Arts, but Chiba recalls the final confrontation fight with Wakayama in the burning castle and ststes that he was nervous and anxious to try to step up and match himself against the great Wakayama!

Guest kungfusamurai

Wakayama and Chiba have a rematch during the kage no gundan series, if I'm not mistaken. I think it's in Series 3.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

This is a post that was quoted from Tsugumo over from the Dojo:

Quote:

A friend of mine from Tokyo writes:

"First, keep in mind that most rank and file or normal, average Japanese regard the Lone Wolf movies as pure-B grade schlock. The Japanese movie industry was really in the doldrums at the time Katsu produced the movies and ticket box revenue wasn’t all that great, meaning people weren’t going to see these movies with great enthusiasm. I’d imagine this is part of the reason why he was in a hurry to get the franchise off the big screen and onto TV. Lone Wolf’s exposure to the majority of Japanese came via the small screen. The manga and the movies appealed mainly to fan boy types. Lone Wolf on the small tube was able to reach a much larger audience. Thus most people can relate to Nakamura better. My wife even remembers the TV theme song!"

Guest KevinClo

It is interesting to note is that the LW&C movies weren’t the only movies to stop production during this period. Most of those Animeigo movies you see being released had the same issues. Stuff like Shadow Hunters, Demon Spies, and the Mikogami movies could have continued on for more sequels had the companies thought they were worth doing. I suspect that had Raizo Ichikawa still been alive he would have made more Nemuri films, and then like Zatoichi, moved in some way to the small screen with them.

KC

Guest Mr Dragula

Was just watching Wicked Priest: Pilgrimage of Death yesterday, and was memorized by just how quick and effortlessly he slid his blade into its saya mid fight. That doesn't even account for how he whirled around his staff. Wow.

When you watch Wakayama fight on screen, everyone else looks like they're moving in slow motion.

Guest pressureworld

Im a fan of Lone Wolf and Cub, I know who isn't. I have the big guy in more than a couple of yakuza films but Im looking forward to more of Wakayama's swordplay. I have the Mute Samurai series on the way. Im really looking forward to that.

Guest Daisho2004

"Mute Samurai" Great series I can't wait for Merlin to finish the rest of that series, Wakayama does a lot of hand to hand combat in this series as well, different from his LW movies but just as good.

Guest Le Peril Jaune

Why did he use the stage name Kenzaburo Jo for some years in the sixties?

I know it's common for rikishi to change their shikona to indicate a change of rank or improve their luck but I haven't heard of anyone changing it back again (like Wakayama did). Is it also common for Japanese actors, even when they're already established?

Guest shaolin student

Most of these work so much that producer and director could careless about their name. They know people

will recognize their faces. I know it sounds silly, but it true. So many actor in Asia have more than one name, by no fault of their own. Most of the time directors and producer just give the actors name.

Kick ass news! In October Toei will release three Tomisaburo Wakayama chanbara action films. Don't expect subs, of course.

賞金稼ぎ (Shokin kasegi) (Killer's Mission) (1969)

Director: Shigero Ozawa

Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Yumiko Nogawa, Bin Amatsu, Goro Mutsumi

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189089/

- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd.php?num_sid=890572

五人の賞金稼ぎ (Gonin no shokin kasegi) (The Fort of Death) (1969)

Director: Eiichi Kudo

Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Kanjuro Arashi, Goro Ibuki, Asao Koike

- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187080

- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd.php?num_sid=890573

賞金首 一瞬八人斬り (Shokin kubi: Isshun hachinin giri) (1972)

Director: Shigero Ozawa

Cast: Tomisaburo Wakayama, Shigeru Amachi, Maki Kawamura, Minoru Ooki

- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd.php?num_sid=890574

waka1_zps794ee601.jpgwaka2_zps7a1f9503.jpgwaka3_zps351bfe97.jpg

Shokin kubi: Isshun hachinin giri still and poster

waka5_zps26f8adbb.jpg

waka4_zpsc7ca6d36.jpg

Killer's Mission is also available on dvd from Germany, but the release is unsatisfactory: the cut German print is presented only with a German dub, while the Japanese print is cropped to 1.78:1 and is a composite with some scenes taken from VHS. From Toei we can certainly expect uncut version in original (2.35:1) aspect ratio.

odioustrident

Merlin from samuraidvd is subbing Fort of Death and Headhunter by the end of this year apparently. I found Fort of Death to be a solid film in raw format; one well done forest scene had some good use of lighting and some entertainment with flaming shurikens.

Why did he use the stage name Kenzaburo Jo for some years in the sixties?

I know it's common for rikishi to change their shikona to indicate a change of rank or improve their luck but I haven't heard of anyone changing it back again (like Wakayama did). Is it also common for Japanese actors, even when they're already established?

Wakayama Tomisaburo was under contract to Toei Studios for much of his career, so he used the name Kenzaburo Jo for roles at Daiei Studios....

Archived