Tomisaburo Wakayama: "The Greatest"

Guest Daisho2004

Guest Daisho2004

Tomisaburo Wakayama is most probably the Greatest Swordsman who ever graced the Silver Screen. His skill with a Sword is second to none. In Zatoichi when he twirled around his sword and returned it to his scabbard while he was a One Armed Ronin that was something that was almost impossible for any Actor to do, but he did it in a blink of any eye. When you watch his movies you always see something never done before or just his skill alone with a sword or any other weapon and I know that I always end up rewinding it a few times then slow it down in amazement. I tried to find a Bio of him but it was a little hard to find, even on the net.

I would like to know what your opinion of him is, and who if any do you think was a better Swordsman.

Tomisaburo Wakayama (1929-1992) was a Japanese actor, best known for playing Ogami Itto, the disgraced, scowling, 17th century ronin in the six Kozure Okami (Lone Wolf and Cub) samurai feature movies.

Tomisaburo Wakayama was born into a family of Kabuki performers. He and his little brother Shintaro Katsu both followed in their father's footsteps until Tomisaburo got sick of it and decided it was time for a change. When he was thirteen years old, he began to study judo and became 4th Dan black belt. This made him give up theatre altogether. He spent most of his time teaching Judo until Toho decided to recruit him as a new martial arts star. Although at first reluctant because of his disillusion about Japanese theatre and acting, he eventually agreed and began to star in jidaigeki movies.

He prepared for these movies by practicing other disciplines such as Kenpo, Iaido, Kendo, or Bo-Jitsu. All this helped him for his most famous role: Ogami Itto, the Lone Wolf. After that, Tomisaburo starred in many films, performing under many different roles. It has been estimated that he has acted in between 250 to 500 films, though there isn't a clear record of them. His only roles in American movies were as a baseball coach in The Bad News Bears Go To Japan and as aYakuza boss playing opposite Michael Douglas in Ridley Scott's Black Rain.

Tomisaburo Wakayama passed away in a Kyoto hospital on April 2, 1992 of accute heart failure. The Lone Wolf died at the age of 62 before he could become any more popular in the West. However, he will always have a cult following remembering him for his most celebrated role as the wandering ronin, Lone Wolf.

Partial Filmography

Tomisaburo Wakayama starring in Lone Wolf and Cub movie series

* Gyakushu orochimaru (1955)

* Rage (1959)

* Fukaku hichô (1959)

* Jirochô kesshôki: Nagurikomi kôjinyama (1960)

* Megitsune henge (1961)

* Ghost of Oiwa (1961)

* Zatoichi 2 (1962)

* Ninja 1 (1962)

* Love for a Mother (1962)

* Sleepy Eyes of Death: The Chinese Jade (1963)

* Teuchi (1963)

* Ninja 2 (1963)

* Ninja 3 (1963)

* Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold (1964)

* Sleepy Eyes of Death: Sword of Seduction (1964)

* Ninja 4 (1964)

* Virgin Witnessed (1966)

* A Brave Generous Era (1966)

* Fraternal Honor: Three Brothers of Kanto (1966)

* Bakuchi uchi (1967)

* Hokkai yûkyôden (1967)

* Red Peony Gambles Her Life (1968 )

* Kyôdai jingi gyakuen no sakazuki (1968 )

* Yôen dokufu-den hannya no ohyaku (1968 )

* Bakuto retsuden (1968 )

* Kaettekita gokudo (1968 )

* Ballad of Murder (1968 )

* Wicked Priest (1968 )

* Nunnery Confidential (1968 )

* Bakuchi-uchi: socho tobaku (1968 )

* Gendai yakuza: yotamono no okite (1968 )

* Memoir of Japanese Assassins (1969)

* Tabi ni deta gokudo (1969)

* Japan Organized Crime Boss (1969)

* Nihon jokyo-den: kyokaku geisha (1969)

* Nihon ansatsu hiroku (1969)

* Red Peony: The Hanafuda Game (1969)

* Matteita gokudo (1969)

* Gokudô bôzu: nenbutsu hitokiri tabi (1969)

* Blind Yakuza Monk (1970)

* Bakuchi-uchi: Nagaremono (1970)

* Underground Syndicate (1970)

* Shiruku hatto no ô-oyabun (1970)

* Shiruku hatto no ô-oyabun: chobi-hige no kuma (1970)

* Thugs of Shinjuku (1970)

* Gokuaku bozu nenbutsu sandangiri (1970)

* Gokudo Kamagasaki ni kaeru (1970)

* Gokudo kyojo tabi (1970)

* Hakurai jingi: Kapone no shatei (1970)

* Nihon boryoku-dan: kumicho kuzure (1970)

* Saigo no tokkôtai (1970)

* A Boss with the Samurai Spirit (1971)

* Gamblers in Okinawa (1971) (International: English title)

* Bakuto kirikomi-tai (1971)

* Boryokudan sai buso (1971)

* Kizudarake no seishun (1971)

* Nippon akuninden (1971)

* Nihon yakuza-den: Sôchiyô e no michi (1971)

* Bakuchi-uchi: Inochi-huda (1971)

* Cherry Blossom Fire Gang (1972)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance (1972)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: Perambulator of the River of Sanzu (1972)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: Perambulator Against the Winds of Death (1972)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: In Peril (1972)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Land of Demons (1973)

* Kamagasaki gokudo (1973)

* ESPY (1974)

* Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1974)

* Datsugoku Hiroshima satsujinshû (1974)

* Gokudo VS furyô banchô (1974)

* Gokudo VS Mamushi (1974)

* Bôryoku kinmyaku (1975)

* Devil's Bouncing Ball Song (1977)

* Edogawa Rampo no injû (1977)

* Torakku yarô: Otoko ippiki momojirô (1977)

* Sugata Sanshiro (1977)

* Phoenix (1978 )

* Bad News Bears Go to Japan (1978 )

* Oh My Son (1979)

* Distant Tomorrow (1979)

* Shogun Assassin (1980)

* The Gate of Youth (1981)

* Samurai Reincarnation (1981)

* Flames of Blood (1981)

* Conquest (1982)

* The Shootout (1982)

* Irezumi: Spirit of Tattoo (1982)

* Theatre of Life (1983)

* Shôsetsu Yoshida gakko (1983)

* Hakujasho (1983)

* Story of the Yamashita Boy (1985)

* A Promise (1986)

* Shinran: Path to Purity (1987)

* Black Rain (1989)

* Jotei: Kasuga no tsubone (1990)

* Checkmate (1991)

LWAC.JPG

lone-wolf2.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Well done Daisho! Cheers brother! I've written down a few titles in that list:

Blind Yakuza Monk 1970 (how is this one? sounds it could be very cool)

Gokudo vs Mamushi and vs furyo bancho 1974

Thugs Of Shinjuko 1970

Memoirs Of Japanese Assassins 1969

Red Peony The Hannafuda Game 1969

Have you scene any of these films? Also I didn't know Tomisaburo was in Sleepy Eyes Of Death films. I haven't watched those two films for so long, I must put those two in for a rewatch very soon. Alas, in which Zatoichi film does Tomisaburo have one arm? I have them all, though I don't recall him having one arm in either Chest Of Gold or Z2.

Again, what you've done here is a true service to Tomisaburo and the genre.

Tatsuya Nakadai

Toshiro Mifune

Shintaro Katsu

Ichikawa Raizo

Tetsuro Tanba

Kinnosuke Nakamura

Tomisaburo Wakayama

All these guys set the standard for and made samurai cinema in a class never to be superseded nor surpassed.

Long Live Tomisaburo Wakayama " The Greatest"

Guest Daisho2004

vengeance, I've never seen Blind Yakuza Monk, but I will ask Merlin and CK about it.

And he was in the 1st.& 4th. "Sleepy Eyes of Death" movies. He only had a small part and didn't use any weapons he fought hand to hand combat he played a Chinese Monk if I'm right.

And he was in the 1st. (2) Zatoichi films he played his One Armed Brother, I think Ichi is the one who cut off his Arm.

If you haven't seen any of the "Mute Samurai" movies your missing a great series, as well as the "Bounty Hunter" TV Series that CK has now. Merlin has the movie "Killers Mission" which was the Movie that started the "Bounty Hunter" TV Series, not a great copy but good enough hopefully he will get a remastered copy of it, but the "Bounty Hunter" series is from a remastered print as well as the "Mute Samurai" series. A must own for any collection.

Guest kungfusamurai

Wakayama played the Chinese monk(?) character in the Nemuri Kyoshiro films.

I prefer seeing him wielding a sword, so the non-sword movies I don't mind missing. I still can't get over how amazing he was in Samurai Reincarnation. The guy was in his mid 50s, and was kicking serious butt with his sword play.

Next to you guys, I'm the biggest Wakayama fan.

KFS

Guest Daisho2004

KFS, he was in "Samurai Reincarnation" the one with Sonny Chiba? I don't remember him in that movie and I'm a really big fan of his. I'd have to see it again now.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
KFS, he was in "Samurai Reincarnation" the one with Sonny Chiba?

Oh hell yeah he was. He played Jubei's father. When they fought each other at the end surrounded by all that fire!!:eek One of my all-time favorite movie moments.

Guest Daisho2004

GLMF, I don't remember that and I seen that movie not to long ago, but I have to buy it now, it was a good movie.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I agree that Wakayama was probably the greatest on-screen swordsman. What always impressed me is how well he moved (quick, nimble, mobile, ect..) for a bigger guy. Deffinitely a formidable presence onscreen. Tatsuya Nakadai is my all time favorite samurai actor. And Wakayama is a close second. Chiba is #3 on my list. Chiba is strong in both the acting and action departments. That said, Wakayama is the all-time greatest badass in samurai cinema.

All these guys set the standard for and made samurai cinema in a class never to be superseded nor surpassed.

I have to wholeheartely agree with that statement, something was in the water back then, and it amazes me just how great ALL the actors were in Japan at the time, even the bit players were great.

I didn't know that was Wakayama as the Chinese monk in the Sleepy Eyes of Death movies!!!! I never seen Samurai Reincarnation, what year was this?

Guest Daisho2004

I think a lot of people feel that his brother Katsu Shintaro got more recognition than him, but that was due to his brother was already a well established Actor, his brother Shintaro should be praised for giving him the great role of Ogami Itto in the LW&C series which he bought the rights to the movies. And then his career really took off.

Guest KevinClo
Tomisaburo Wakayama is most probably the Greatest Swordsman who ever graced the Silver Screen.

He was really good and well trained. As implied in what you wrote he intended to be a full time martial arts teacher and not go into movies at all. I like watching his movies. I don’t know of anyone I would call the greatest because, as I mentioned in the other thread regarding Mifune’s skills, there are a lot of factors that have nothing to do with how good one is with a sword in filming an action scene. That’s why I would hesitate in using the word greatest because it is not like there was some martial arts movie tournament to establish this. His real strength was in his quick draw iaido skills. But, a lot of the sword spin moves you see Wakayama do are flashy, acrobatic, and mostly done to look cool on screen. They are not realistic or efficient, but that’s more of a martial arts thing than a movie thing where everything is fantasy.

KC

Guest Daisho2004

KevinClo, OK your point is well taken, and I will agree that it is more of a movie thing, but to watch him compared to many other actors with a Sword in hand, he is hands down the most awesome person to watch on the screen. And yes his Martial Arts training has a lot to do with it.

If you haven't seen any of the "Mute Samurai" movies your missing a great series, as well as the "Bounty Hunter" TV Series that CK has now. Merlin has the movie "Killers Mission" which was the Movie that started the "Bounty Hunter" TV Series, not a great copy but good enough hopefully he will get a remastered copy of it, but the "Bounty Hunter" series is from a remastered print as well as the "Mute Samurai" series. A must own for any collection

Thanks for the additional info. I do have a couple of the Mute Samurai's (the ones with Shintaro Katsu in them) and I really liked them. The "Bounty Hunter" series I'm definitely interested in checking out. Are there any in particular with co-stars of any of the leads I'd mentioned above?

Guest Daisho2004

vengeance, the "Bounty Hunter" TV series that CK has is only the 1st. vol. with 2 episodes on it, there are more to come. A lot of the actors that are in the series I've never seen them before but the action in them was Great. CK said more will becoming soon so maybe there might be some actors that you want to see in them.

BTW: Merlin over @samuraiDVD.com is trying to get the other (2) full length movies that are the continuous adventures that lead to this series. He said he just got the remastered print of the 1st. one "Killers Mission" Great movie, I can't wait to see the other (2) in the series, Merlin said they are awesome movies as well.

BTW: Merlin over @samuraiDVD.com is trying to get the other (2) full length movies that are the continuous adventures that lead to this series. He said he just got the remastered print of the 1st. one "Killers Mission" Great movie, I can't wait to see the other (2) in the series, Merlin said they are awesome movies as well.

Very cool, thanks again brother.

Guest inchilottaP
I think a lot of people feel that his brother Katsu Shintaro got more recognition than him, but that was due to his brother was already a well established Actor, his brother Shintaro should be praised for giving him the great role of Ogami Itto in the LW&C series which he bought the rights to the movies. And then his career really took off.

I thought I had always heard the LW&C movies were not very sucessful in Japan and people didn't really like Wakayama as Lone Wolf and that his role he's most famous for are his small comedic roles in the Red Peony Gambler series where he shows up out of nowhere and offers some comic relief and sometimes kicks some ass for about 10-20 minutes.

Though he does have a good amount of screen time in the first movie.

Guest Daisho2004

inchilottaP, this is the first time that I've ever heard that said before, as far as I know everyone always associates Wakayama as Ogami Itto I think even in Japan that is what made him more famous. But that is something very interesting anyway. And I will ask about it.

Guest inchilottaP

It's cool Daisho.

Believe it or not the thing I read about Wakayama and playing Lone Wolf was on this forum some time ago.

I remember people saying that Japanese fans thought Wakayama was too heavy set and his performance too stoned face for the role.

I actually have to say i'm not sure if his Red Peony Gambler roles are his absolute most famous but they're definately up there.

Guest Daisho2004

inchilottaP, I've never seen any of the "Red Peony Gambler" series and I heard there excellent. I guess I'll be checking them out.

Guest KevinClo
Believe it or not the thing I read about Wakayama and playing Lone Wolf was on this forum some time ago. I remember people saying that Japanese fans thought Wakayama was too heavy set and his performance too stoned face for the role.

Your right that the LW&C movies did not do well enough to continue making them. Part of the problem was the genre was pretty much dying in the 70’s. Where in the 50-60’s you could see about 40 different jidaigeki flicks a year by the 70’s you would be lucky to see around 12 a year. The other problem was the manga was still going on for a few more years. So, in order to make more movies their way of summarizing the story would have had to slow a bit.

This is the advantage the tv series had in that since it came later it actually followed most of the story and finished it. Kinnosuke Nakamura was more known in Japan as being Ogami Itto than Tomisaburo Wakayama. A lot of this is it helped that a Japanese person saw Nakamura in the role each week as the character on free television. On the other hand, outside of Japan, this is the role we know Wakayama as.

KC

I'm aware of 'fort of death' being a sequel to killers mission but what is the second film that you're talking about? this just makes it even more irritating as I've been waiting for fort of death for years to materialise and now I might have to become frustrated about another!

Guest KevinClo
I'm aware of 'fort of death' being a sequel to killers mission but what is the second film that you're talking about?

As been mentioned a few times on here there were three total big screen movies:

1)The Killer's Mission

2)Fort of Death

I have never heard a english title for the third movie, but romanticized ...

3)Shokin Kubi: Isshun Hachinin Giri

The tv series that came after it ran in 1975 as actually 22 episodes. I misspoke in the other thread were I said 26.

KC

Guest Daisho2004

Well as I stated in the earlier thread Merlin over@samuraiDVD has the (3) movies and he is in the process of remastering the 1st. one and hope fully will have the other (2) done sometime in the future. So that is something I waiting for.

Guest Daisho2004

As far as Kinnosuke Nakamura playing Ogami Itto in the TV series I read that people weren't happy about him portraying Ogami due to the fact they felt he was to old but when he put on the wig and they started shooting they were very happy with his portrayal in the LW&C TV series.

Archived