Sword Of Doom in Los Angeles September 6

Guest Squid Lips

Guest Squid Lips

Anyone in the L.A. area, Sword Of Doom is at the Egyptian with The Great Melee (which I haven't seen) on the 6th. I will be there as have yet to see Doom on the big screen. 7:30 pm.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KevinClo

As much as I’d like to go to this I think am going to pass. I wouldn’t mind seeing SOD, but I think the real treat you’re going to get is seeing The Great Melee (aka Daisatsujin). I’ve seen that one a few times and then a few months ago someone did a english fansub of the French dvd. Those Eiichi Kudo movies tend to have a slow buildup to a very action packed brutal climatic battle at the end. I thought the cinematography in this movie is one of his best and should be ultra cool on the big screen. The camera work is really in your face and goes along well with the action. There are some really cool scenes in the final battle along a river.

KC

Guest Squid Lips

Hi KC,

Thanks for the review. Am looking forward to it now. I am always trying to find interestingly shot samurai films from that area so am glad to hear about it. Haven't done a double feature in awhile (well, Grindhouse) so am looking forward to it.

Guest Squid Lips

Well, just got back. It was great to see SOD up on the big screen.

I wasn't too impressed with Melee though, and neither was the crowd. It was very slow and a bit dis jointed with all the characters. By the time the only real battle took place at the end, most of the crowd seemed uninterested. I enjoyed it's improvisational choreography, not feeling too staged. The long lens and long takes were interesting as waere a couple of the rough hand held moves, but all in all is not something I'd see again.

Vengeance Is Mine plays there in the next couple days so may go see that.

Archived