It (2017) - Bill Skarsgard, Jayden Martell, Sophie Lillis, Jack Angel Glazer, Jeremy Ray Thomas

AlbertV

The Stephen King classic IT is getting a big-screen remake that will serve as a two-part saga. Cary Fukunaga will be directing the remake.

For those unfamiliar with the story, it goes like this: A group of outcast kids who come together over summer break to take on the monster haunting their town. Thirty years later, the adult versions of the characters must return to properly finish the beast whom has begun killing again.

imgpress.jpeg

The 1991 ABC-TV mini-series is best known for Tim Curry's iconic performance as the beast, who has taken the form of a clown by the name of Pennywise. So the question is...who will play Pennywise in the remake?

http://www.darkhorizons.com/assets/0025/8819/poulter_article.jpg?1430794394

The answer has come and it is Will Poulter, best known for his role in the comedy We're the Millers (He played the fake son.) and Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (as the annoying cousin).

Shooting is aiming to begin this summer for a 2016 release date.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

Secret Executioner

Does this really need to be a two-parter, or is it just some cheap gimmick to make more money (like several two-part films have tended to be) ?

Also, I guess an actor known for comedic roles is totally fit for a monster/killer... :rolleyes:

DragonClaws
Does this really need to be a two-parter, or is it just some cheap gimmick to make more money (like several two-part films have tended to be) ?

Also, I guess an actor known for comedic roles is totally fit for a monster/killer... :rolleyes:

Hollywood appears to be on a mission to reboot all the old well known horror titles for the Facebook generation.

It looks like there is trouble a-brewing...Cary Fukunaga has departed the film due to creative differences with the company. He felt with King's novel being almost 1200 pages, it had to be a two-part movie and the production company felt it only needs to be one movie. That, along with the proposed budget, caused Fukunaga to leave and now the project is on life-support.

• Like 1

Oh boy.

First off, I didn't really care for the original It movie in the first place. It's not that scary and is sometimes kinda laughable (especially the second half when it focuses on the adults).

As for the trailer, it looks really generic. And it's just not scary. It was almost really funny. It almost seemed like a trailer for a fake parody movie. I'm not gonna be seeing this.

Edited by KenHashibe
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
14 hours ago, KenHashibe said:

First off, I didn't really care for the original It movie in the first place. It's not that scary and is sometimes kinda laughable (especially the second half when it focuses on the adults).

It is one of those well known movies, that I've just never got round to watching. Don't mind Stephen King films even if there are quite a few duds. Just never gone out of my way to seek out his work or watch this. That said, I recall it being a movie that was often talked about amongst my friends.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

sifu iron perm

OK, the book was fantastic and it is pretty damn time consuming to illustrate everything in a book/novel. the original 2 part series had many downs than up but tim curry as pennywise was spot on, and the first part with the losers club was brilliant IMO. 

THis new rendition which will cover the losers club will supposedly cover the book in a more detailed sense, so they say.

I'll be watching it for sure but the trailer and the look of pennywise doesn't pull me in, to be brutally honest.

DragonClaws
18 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

I'll be watching it for sure but the trailer and the look of pennywise doesn't pull me in, to be brutally honest.

Actor Will Poulter was connected to the role of Pennywise, and I would like to have seen him play the role. He really impressed me in Wild Bill(2011) and The Revenant(2015).

• Like 1

Andres Muschetti directed with Bill Skarsgard (son of Stellan, brother of Alexander) playing Pennywise...coming September 8. This will be the first of two films, the first to focus on the Losers Club as kids, the second to feature the club members now as adults.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm

i was going to create this thread last night but forgot, glad you did..

let me add on.

I can't wait, the trailer looks cracking, very scary in tone and delivery (trailer only).

135 mins will be the length of the UK release. 

only gripe i have is from the latin american tv spots is that the pennywise voice is quite less frightening? or clownish? im sure but tim curry had a major impact on that character.

sifu iron perm

lol i just released this was an old thread which i commented on.

I need sleep..

we all float down here!

Stephen King went to a screening back in March and said he was impressed with the film:

Bill Skarsgard has said he is hoping that people don't compare him to Tim Curry because what would be the point of remaking something if you can't bring something different.

"Tim Curry's performance was amazing. It was such a good interpretation of Stephen King's character in the book.  We were making a new film, a new adaptation of the book. Of course, I wanted to bring something different and unique to it. Otherwise, I don't see the point in remaking something. I hope that people can consider both performances separately and appreciate them for what they are."

As for Tim Curry, he is excited to see Skarsgard in the role:

“Well, I like [Bill] Skarsgard very much, I think he’s very clever. It’ll be interesting what sort of clown face he puts on, because it’s not an obvious clown face at all. I’ve seen the trailer and you can’t really see him at all. So I’m fascinated to see it. He’s very good.”

IT-movie-pennywise-clown-tim-curry-84916

I'm hoping to see this before Irma hits this weekend.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Anyone gonna go see IT this weekend? I'll report back!!! By the way, did I mentioned I loved the miniseries back in the 90s? SOme folks called it dog shit but what do they know,heheheheh

• Like 2

I had never seen the 1990 TV movie but was very excited to check out the new 2017 movie, which I did yesterday.

Rating, I'd give it a 3.8/5 balloon.png

Definitely interested in seeing the next installment. 

How's that for a spoiler-free, thought-free comment on the film? 

• Like 3

Saw It yesterday and liked it a lot. Pennywise wasn't overused and the kids were actually pretty well written, especially the one with glasses, got the lions share of the laughs. I'd definitely watch the sequel.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Saw It yesterday and liked it a lot. Pennywise wasn't overused and the kids were actually pretty well written, especially the one with glasses, got the lions share of the laughs. I'd definitely watch the sequel.

Saw It yesterday too, and your comments line up pretty well with my thoughts. For something some friends and I essentially saw on a whim, I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

I saw it yesterday as well and I agree with everyone. Bill Skarsgard definitely made Pennywise his own, bringing more amped up terror and less comic wit like Tim Curry, so instead of comparing the two, I'm going to say they each brought their own to the role. The backstories of the kids really helped drive the film as well as for once, we didn't have to hear about them...we actually got a glimpse of them. My full review will be posted later this afternoon but it's getting an "A" in my book. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

It is about to break a record held by The Exorcist. It (pun intended) will be the highest domestic grossing horror film of all-time after today according to numbers.

• Like 1

Just got through watching both parts and I got to say, I really enjoyed IT. This is one of those rare times when I think the remake is far superior to the original. I will say that I think the first part was better than the second(Which went from being Serious to Evil Dead 2 levels of goofy at times, which was a bit jarring), but I still found both to be an enjoyable watch. I rate them together a 4/5 and its defiantly a recommend.   

• Like 2