John Wick 2 (2016)

One Armed Boxer

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this film. It's bloody fantastic. Even better than the first film, in my eyes. The action sequences are a lot longer and, while stylized, still have a rough edge to them. The fight between Reeves and Common is particularly scrappy but it looks damn good.
both the hand-to-hand and bullet-to-bullet components of the action scenes are great. The filmmakers have really done their best to make this a definitive action film.

The world is greatly built upon too. Word has it the director wants to make the third film into a tv series and with the world building that's been done, I see that working really well. There's some really nice character development in the sequel.

All in all this will probably be the best action film of 2017. I can't see anything beating it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OpiumKungFuCracker
14 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this film. It's bloody fantastic. Even better than the first film, in my eyes. The action sequences are a lot longer and, while stylized, still have a rough edge to them. The fight between Reeves and Common is particularly scrappy but it looks damn good.
both the hand-to-hand and bullet-to-bullet components of the action scenes are great. The filmmakers have really done their best to make this a definitive action film.

The world is greatly built upon too. Word has it the director wants to make the third film into a tv series and with the world building that's been done, I see that working really well. There's some really nice character development in the sequel.

All in all this will probably be the best action film of 2017. I can't see anything beating it.

I haven't seen the first one yet. Anything to do with dogs like dying in any way whether it's fictional or None, I can't stomach to watch. I love dogs. Also gun fu to me personally has grown stale since the 5 films of Taken have spoil that experience for me and I haven't seen any of them,hahhahah! I think I might have A.D.D???? Is the Gun Fu in this exciting cause I tend to get bored easily.

29 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'll pick this one up on DVD/BR, took me awhile to watch the first film after buying it on DVD. Loved John Wick, but I'm not a massive Keanu Reeves fan, which sounds contradictory I know. Bought the first movie based purely on peoples opinions/reviews on the forum. Really enjoyed the action and Reeves had clearly worked very hard for the role.

Would love to have seen Mickey Rouke in the John Wick role, when he was in his prime.

Would I need to watch the first film to understand what's going on? Going to catch a flick later and this looks like the only decent thing playing.

One Armed Boxer
6 minutes ago, FieryReign said:

Would I need to watch the first film to understand what's going on? Going to catch a flick later and this looks like the only decent thing playing.

Helpful but far from essential.  In the first one we learn his wife has died, leading him to retirement, until some thugs kill the puppy he bought together with his wife when she was still alive, forcing him out of retirement to seek revenge.  That's it.  The 2nd is a stand-alone story not related to the first, all you need to know is that the Continental is a hotel where assassins go to relax, and there's a strict 'no business on the premises' rule.  Other than that, enjoy!

Peeped this last night. There's some excellent gunplay going on here. Quite a few "oh shit" moments. Dumping rounds point blank in faces, heads, and body parts. Nice long takes.

Why does Keanu talk like that though? It's like a first grader struggling to read aloud. From the school of William Shatner, delivering... one... word... at... a...time...

Some of it was boring and dragged, to be honest. Common Sense is one of my fav rappers, I'd rather not see him in action films.

37 minutes ago, FieryReign said:

Some of it was boring and dragged, to be honest. Common Sense is one of my fav rappers, I'd rather not see him in action films.

I actually like Common as an actor. He's actually got some acting chops on him. I thought he was really good in "John Wick 2", despite not really having an awful lot to say.

Finally, I have seen this!

Excellent film, superb sequel that does what sequels should - builds on what has gone before, opens up the world, sets up an interesting new status quo and ups the action ante considerably.  And then some.

Minuses?  Well, it doesn't have the emotional content of the first, and it is flabbier - but damn, what a fun time at the cinema.

Roll on JW 3: LONE WICK AND PUP.

Saw this yesterday finally, holy hell, what a fun time! Just as much action as the first, expanding the world (and my God some of it was brutal, especially near the end!)

just read that the UK DVD and BD are the cut "15" version.

only the ultra 4k BD is uncut.

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Karlos said:

just read that the UK DVD and BD are the cut "15" version.

only the ultra 4k BD is uncut.

There'snothing stopping them releasing the UNCUT version on all formats, I wonder which version will hit digital services?. Guess there starting to push 4k BD more now?.

There's no edits to Martial Arts action in the U.K version, the BBFC have reduced suicide sequence in the movie to fit the 15-Rating guidlines.

5 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I wonder which version will hit digital services?

Here in the USA, both the BD & the 4K UHD have the digital copy.

8 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Guess there starting to push 4k BD more now?.

A few companies are actively releasing 4K BD.

That is more $$$ for them as people buy multiple formats of a movie - sometimes the Studio tends to offer/add something to the BD and not the 4K........booklet, exclusive contents, special packaging and in John Wick 2 case - Steelbook. So far there is no offer of a 4K Steelbook, only a BD Steelbook; so people who want both will have to double dip....and I am one of those people.  

The one company that isn't offering 4K version yet is Disney. It's a shame as I would love to have some of the Marvel, Disney  & Star Wars titles on 4K UHD.

DragonClaws
17 minutes ago, thekfc said:

The one company that isn't offering 4K version yet is Disney. It's a shame as I would love to have some of the Marvel, Disney  & Star Wars titles on 4K UHD.

I read recently that Disney is going to take the plunge with 4K.

Link- http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray/ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray/49968/disney-set-to-support-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray

18 minutes ago, thekfc said:

Here in the USA, both the BD & the 4K UHD have the digital copy.

It's the same here, I was just wondering if digital services like Netflix etc, will get the cut or Uncut version?. I'm just curious, as I dont use any of those services and just get my films on DVD or Blu-Ray. Amazing that we still have DVD, when studios are trying to get people to buy their collections again on the 4K format or via digital option.

9 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I read recently that Disney is going to take the plunge with 4K.

Link- http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray/ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray/49968/disney-set-to-support-ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray

That would be great if true. Films like Dr. Strange, Rogue One and the likes would look great in 4K as they shot in either 4K & 6K.

18 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

I was just wondering if digital services like Netflix etc, will get the cut or Uncut version?.

I would assume it would be the uncut version. I usually buy the disc and redeem the UV.

20 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Amazing that we still have DVD, when studios are trying to get people to buy their collections again on the 4K format or via digital option.

There is still a big market for DVD as a lot of people haven't upgraded to HD as of yet and I don't think it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Some companies are releasing a dual format (which I prefer to buy) to accommodate buyers.

The one thing that pisses me off is when companies only release one format - like Lionsgate DVD only release of Asian movies (The Four 2, Headshot, etc,).

I understand the ultra 4k download is uncut, also - the BD "15" digitial download is cut.

Looks like I'll have to grab the German release at this rate.

It's a very odd situation and I can only surmise has been done to push the sales of ultra 4k (which, for me, would then require purchasing a new player and TV!)

I'm guessing for us John Wick loving brits "ultra 4k" is short for "ultra 4k'ing irritating"?

1 hour ago, Karlos said:

I understand the ultra 4k download is uncut, also - the BD "15" digitial download is cut.

It's a very odd situation and I can only surmise has been done to push the sales of ultra 4k (which, for me, would then require purchasing a new player and TV!)

I'm guessing for us John Wick loving brits "ultra 4k" is short for "ultra 4k'ing irritating"?

Yep, it is kind of strange.

It looks like they have the opportunity to push 4K with this release & are doing just that.

Even with 4K streaming, you would still need the right equipment  - 4K TV and if that TV does not have a built-in HEVC decoder and not support HDCP 2.2 then you will need an additional piece of equipment that supports/have them (Roku 4, Fire TV v2, BD player, etc,).

DragonClaws
4 hours ago, Karlos said:

They did the exact same thing with Blu-Ray, now their applying it to the 4K releases. At what point do film companies/studios/fans say the image/sound is sharp enough?.

On 6/11/2017 at 2:17 PM, Karlos said:

be careful with the german release- i haven't watched this yet (my UHD USA set arrived yesterday) but i believe there's sections where english subs are needed...may not be on the german disc.

41 minutes ago, saltysam said:

be careful with the german release- i haven't watched this yet (my UHD USA set arrived yesterday) but i believe there's sections where english subs are needed...may not be on the german disc.

You are correct, @saltysam

I've been doing my research and it appears likely the English parts are missing or, even worse, with the particular label that's putting out JW2 in Germany (Concorde Video), they apparently cover up English names, signs, etc. with BIG text translating into German.

I'm hanging fire.

21 hours ago, Karlos said:

You are correct, @saltysam

I've been doing my research and it appears likely the English parts are missing or, even worse, with the particular label that's putting out JW2 in Germany (Concorde Video), they apparently cover up English names, signs, etc. with BIG text translating into German.

I'm hanging fire.

Having just watched this you would definitely need the english subs version,otherwise it'd be a frustrating watch.great movie btw

ShaOW!linDude

Got to see this last week. This movie is a freaking bloodbath. Loved the ending as it left me with feelings of excitement, tension, and dread. Chapter 3 can't be released fast enough.

Finally saw this.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (USA, 2017) [DCP] - 2.5/5
Disappointing sequel loses the charm of the original. This is a rehash of the assassin universe created for the first film. Gone is the amusing "they killed my dog" plot, replaced by a much less amusing "contract on Wick's head" plot. There are hundreds of charisma-free assassins after Wick, most of them appearing so briefly you don't always even know who just got killed. Which leads us to the second problem. While they've nailed the action choreography, the editing, cinematography and lighting are a problem. The long shootout in the catacombs is so dark it's hard to see what's going on. To make matters worse, although the editing is not too fast, the editor keeps cutting to random angles. This means that after each cut you have to spend a moment figuring out where the camera is now and from which direction the bad guys are coming rather than focusing on the action. Lame score and yet another mirror hall finale don't help either. Thankfully the movie is at least fast paced, never boring, and comes with some small delights, including a certain Italian gentleman in a small role.

As usual, I had to wait half a year for this to open here.
wick.jpg

Archived